Story Notes:
I couldn't help myself. I swear.

Note: This is set sometime after the official end of "The Wolverine" but assumes that the after-credits scene was not the first time he "returned" in the two year interval.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Apparently I have unresolved Bobby issues, if the last few stories I've started say anything. Maybe it's because I rewatched X3 recently.


Rogue’s hand trembled on the doorknob. She had suspected for a while, but until that moment there was no proof. The sounds coming from the other side of the door, the familiar voices, confirmed everything. Her fingers tightened around the cool metal briefly. For a moment she considered barging in and interrupting them. A particularly loud shout followed by silence stopped her in her tracks, however. There was no point in confronting them after the fact. All of the drama of the moment would be missing, and she desperately needed the drama to distract her bruised ego. Vaguely aware that her heart, which should have been broken, was untouched, she let her fingers relax and slip away.

Stepping back, Rogue glared darkly at the wooden door glowing softly in the late afternoon light streaming in through the hall window. She needed to think, to plan, now that the heat of the moment had passed. She turned abruptly on her heel, her long dark hair whipping around her, the white strands around her face emphasizing her cold eyes and the thin set of her lips. The rage she felt sustained her, allowed the little corner of hurt to be pushed aside for the time being. She strode quickly down the hall to find someplace quiet to seethe and think, practically ran down the stairs, and then crashed into a hard body. Familiar hands grabbed her arms, their strength all that kept her from tumbling to the wood floor.

“Rogue?” He put a wealth of questions into that one word. Why the hell wasn’t she watching where she was going? What was wrong? Was she going to confide in him as she had so often found herself doing since his return from Japan?

Rogue considered trying to play off her clumsiness, but she knew he would smell the lie on her. Besides, she could use his advice in this situation as long as she could bear to tell him the details. That shouldn’t be too hard, she thought, since over the past few months she had confessed more troubling news than this to him, like the slow return of her mutation. Theoretically it shouldn’t be difficult to tell him about the betrayal she had just discovered. When she opened her mouth, eyes fastened to the dark gray of his T-shirt, nothing came out at first, though. Two more tries and swallows around the sudden lump in her throat allowed her to croak out, “Bobby.”

A low growl from the man still holding her upright brought her gaze up to meet his. The concern in his hazel eyes warmed the chill that had settled in her soul, but that was almost worse. It allowed the hurt to come into focus so that tears threatened to well up in her eyes when Logan asked, “What did Iceboy do now?”

Logan knew she’d been having some problems with her boyfriend ever since she started regaining her powers. It was one of the things she talked to him about when she joined him on the patrols he took around the school grounds each evening. His advice was always sound, and for a while it seemed to be helping, but that was at an end. Now Rogue needed help of a different sort. She wanted revenge on Bobby before she ended things with him once and for all. Logan was just the right person to help her figure out how to get what she wanted, but first she would have to get up the nerve to confess her discovery. Even thinking about telling him in such an open environment was embarrassing.

“Not here. Are you headed out?” It was a little early for a patrol. She drew in a deep breath as Logan studied her, but he seemed to realize that she didn’t want the possibility of an audience for what she had to tell him, especially not one composed mostly of their students. He nodded slowly.

“I was about to take a walk.” That was Logan-code for his unofficial patrols. He hated admitting that they were more necessity than leisure.

“Mind if I join you?”

“Never have before, kid.”

Rogue hid the annoyance that flashed through her at hearing his usual nickname by dropping her eyes from his as he let her go. Together they walked down the hall and out onto the back terrace. Their steps echoed on the worn stone as they crossed to the shallow steps that led down to the lawn.

Rogue finally spoke again when they were about a fifty feet from the mansion. “I went to find Bobby after I let out my last American History class. I thought maybe we could go get dinner somewhere else, spend time together, you know?” This part she could talk about easily. What came next was much harder. “I got to his door and I heard…”

“What?” His voice was low, encouraging but with that edge of violence that told her he was on her side against whatever she faced.

Rogue took a breath to steady herself once more, trying to draw on that cold anger to get past the stuttering. She still couldn’t look at Logan, couldn’t bear the thought that he would pity her.

“I heard him having sex with someone. I think it was Kitty,” she whispered in a rush. Saying it out loud was easier than she expected, and it brought back the anger full force. Logan’s growl encouraged her to continue more loudly. “That fucking asshole is cheating on me, and the worst part s that I don’t know how long it’s been going on! My advanced class gets out late a few times a week. What if…” She didn’t want to finish the thought.

Logan was quiet for a moment. “So what are you going to do about it?”

She shook her head. “I can’t stay with him anymore, but I’m not sure how to break it off either. Do I make it loud? Do I give him the cold shoulder and just end it quietly?” She shrugged fitfully. The bitterness in her heart had leaked into her voice. She glanced at Logan and saw his frown as he stared out into the trees surrounding them. It gave her the courage to add. “Beyond that, I want him to suffer. I think I even want that before I break up with him.”

He nodded slowly. “I get that. Sometimes you need to get revenge on someone when they hurt you,” he said. “The answers to your problems depend on what you want to get out of it, I think. Do you want everyone to know what a sack of shit he is? Do you want to hurt his pride or hurt him physically? Doesn’t sound like you want a clean break, whatever you do, so ending things quietly probably won’t give you the satisfaction that you want.”

Rogue considered what he said silently for a few minutes, letting the late afternoon sun soak into her through the thin layers of her shirt and wishing that she dared to wear short sleeves once more. It would have been comforting to be able to have that one bit of normalcy in her otherwise fucked up life. That was no longer an option, though, and in the end she didn’t really miss being “normal” as much as she had once thought she would if her mutation returned. There was a certain strength in being what she was, having the ability she did, and just then she needed all of the strength she could get. She dragged her mind away from its normal brooding to the current problem, and her eyes fell on Logan’s profile as he walked and brooded beside her. An idea blossomed in her mind, but she had no idea if he would go along with it.

A tight knot of something—excitement?—gathered in the pit of her stomach as she worked up the nerve to say the words out loud. How much worse could her life get, anyway? If he said no, she’d be no worse off than she already was. If he said yes, at the very least she’d have a lot of fun if certain reports were true. It was something that she had fantasized about as a young teenager, and now she might be able to see how close reality could come to her fantasies.

In the end the words spilled from her lips in a rush, almost without her participation. “You know what would make Bobby just livid, not to mention give me some really great satisfaction and closure over the whole fucking mess?”

He turned to her, that eyebrow of his raised. A strange glint lingered in his eyes, giving her hope. “What’s that?”

She smiled, a slow thin smile meant to show him that her goals were still pure and unsullied, as far as revenge went. “If he found me having sex with someone else in public—well, not where the kids would see, but somewhere the rest of the X-Men couldn’t miss. It would have to be just the right person, though,” she mused, allowing her smile to grow just a bit sadistic.

Logan appeared to be considering it seriously, which Rogue found encouraging.

“Yeah, that could work both for hurting him and ending things with a bang, so to speak. But who are you going to convince to go along with your plan?”

That glint she had noticed was deeper, so she felt confident enough to raise her own eyebrows and drawl out, “How about you? Up for some fun, sugar?”

He stopped dead in his tracks, and for one sickening moment Rogue thought she had miscalculated. Then he smiled, an evil one to match her own. “For you, darlin’? Anything. I’ve been thinking of ways to get around that skin of yours ever since you started complaining that Iceboy wasn’t man enough to even try. I couldn’t help myself. I’d like to see which ones will work in practice as well as theory, you know?”

Rogue couldn’t believe that she heard him right at first, and then she had to restrain herself from dancing happily around him in circles. She settled for raising her gloved hand to his cheek instead. “I knew I could count on you,” she purred, satisfaction causing her voice to drop seductively in a way she hadn’t even known it could. Certainly Bobby had never produced a reaction like that.

Logan grabbed her hand and twined his fingers through hers briefly. “So, when are we going to do this?”

Rogue tipped her head sideways in thought for a moment. “Well, the next general meeting is tonight. Does that give you enough time to get your…precautions in place? I figured that the briefing room table would be a good place to start.”

He nodded slowly as he pulled their joined hands down so that they could continue their walk, more of a stroll now. “Although I do have one condition, since the discovery is going to be such a public one,” he commented in an off-hand way.

She shot him a confused look, but his final comment made her shiver.

“If neither of us finishes because of the interruption, but especially you, we’re going to have a second session another time. I don’t leave a woman unsatisfied—in any way.”

The rest of the patrol continued in very agreeable silence.

Chapter End Notes:
Well? Was this a worthy addition to the 50 Reasons challenge so far? I definitely have plans to do the sex scene as another chapter, and there will probably be one more as well. :-)