Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay, there is absolutely no excuse for this chapter. It is flat-out PWP. At the encouragement of some of my reviewers (you know who you are, notmyself, Cherryblossom, Oracle, Phoenix) I planned to start out with a little morning lovin' and then get on with the plot, but I got...distracted.

Plot picks up next chapter, we're probably about three or four chapters from the end. If you like the smutty goodness, enjoy! If you don't, then stay tuned for future developments. :-)
Logan lay in the dark motel room, watching Marie sleep. The lights of the motel parking lot filtered through the cheap polyester curtains, creating a synthetic moonlight that illuminated her body, heightening the contrast between her pale luminous skin and the velvet shadow of her hair and lips.

He struggled to make sense of feelings that were both completely unfamiliar and completely overwhelming. He thought of his previous sexual encounters -- the familiar game of pick-up, the quick sexual release, the immediate goodbye. Making love with Marie -- he raised a sardonic eyebrow at the very term, but knew he couldn’t call it anything else -- had affected him in ways he couldn’t name.

His tenderness, her acceptance, their mutual passion. It made him feel like a different man, like something in him that had long ago healed wrong had been broken and reset. Like loving Marie had shattered him and then put him back together, better than before. Had she changed him? Pulled something from him that he had never known was there? Was this was the kind of man he had been, in the time he couldn’t remember?

He nuzzled his face into her hair, inhaling her scent and his mixed together with a feeling of possessiveness and deep satisfaction. He had marked her -- with his scent, with his bite, with the imprint of his fingers in the tender flesh of her hips. He knew he should feel bad about some of that, but instead he gloried in it. Mine, he thought, and the animal inside him purred. He had claimed her -- only him, and knowing that satisfied some dark need within him.

So what was she to him? His girlfriend? He wasn’t the type. His lover? He quirked his lip at the term, one that conjured up images of dramatic French movies with subtitles that he would only see to get out of the rain. My mate. The words appeared in his head fully formed, and he felt the truth of them in the very marrow of his bones.

He smoothed a hand over Marie’s hair, and even in her sleep she made that happy humming sound, her body pressing even closer to his. He remembered her words spoken in the diner days ago, during just one of the many times he had tried to leave her. You’re not alone unless you want to be, she had said. For the first time, he started to believe that it was true.
__________________

Logan woke slowly, tendrils of sensation tickling his consciousness one by one as he emerged from a deep sleep. The smell and feel of Marie’s hair against his nose, her body pressed soft and warm against him. The unprecedented relaxation in his body, as if every muscle and tendon had been infused with a liquid warmth. The wonderful lightness in his head, feeling for the first time the absence of the weight of exhaustion and troubled sleep that was so familiar he had not even registered its constant presence until it was gone.

He felt Marie wake, flexing against him in a full-body stretch that made him groan with wanting even as his mind reluctantly registered the small hitch of pain in her movements. She turned to him, her eyes dark and deep, her lips still swollen from the force of his kisses. He wanted to tell her everything he had realized during the night, but he didn’t know how to go about it. Instead he ran a warm hand down her hair and back, pressing her closer to him. “Sore, baby?” he asked.

She smiled that wide smile again. “In a good way.” He couldn’t help a satisfied growl at that, rolling her under him and kissing her, soft and deep. God, she felt good, tasted good, smelled good. Her body was so supple and responsive beneath him he wanted to press her down into the rumpled sheets and stay there with her forever.

With a final nip he forced himself up to sit heavily on the edge of the bed. “A hot shower will help. You can go first.” She sat up too, but didn’t leave the bed. He felt her press close against his back. Her small warm hands roamed his body -- a trace of her fingers through his hair, a brush of her palm against his back making him shiver, a soothing press of her knuckles at the base of his spine. It was as if having been given permission to touch him she couldn’t stop, and every sweet brush of her fingers sparked a new warmth inside him, weakening his resolve.

With a sigh he pulled her around to sit on his lap, a bolt of lust sizzling through him as her soft warmth settled on his erection. “Marie...go shower,” he grumbled, his body involuntarily pressing up against her in direct contradiction to his words.

He felt her smile against his skin, her teeth coming up to graze at his earlobe. “Come with me.”

She was killing him. Honestly killing him. He nuzzled his face into her neck, his voice hoarse with wanting. “I’m tryin' to be good, Marie.”

“Don’t be.”

He felt the rumble start in his chest, and she giggled as the reverberations tickled her belly. He pulled her so she was straddling his lap and then scooped her up, moving towards the bathroom with her wrapped tightly around his waist. She nipped and sucked at his neck as he walked, weakening his knees until he pressed her up against the wall beside the bathroom door, capturing her mouth and kissing her breathless.

He stumbled them both into the bathroom, blindly turning knobs to get the shower going. He settled her on the edge of the sink, laughing as she squealed a little from the cold. His hands were free now to run over her taut thighs, cup her ripe breasts, dip down to caress the curve of her waist.

Holding one hand out to test the water and finding it warm, he scooped her up again and deposited her under the spray, his body hardening even more painfully at the sight of the warm water running down her body in rivulets. She tilted her head back, exposing the long slender line of her neck to let the water soak her hair. The action revealed his bite on the tender flesh of her shoulder, and something wild and possessive stirred within him at that implicit sign of trust and submission.

He wanted to kiss and lick and fuck her all over, and the wild force of his emotions paradoxically made him want to be even more tender with her, testing the limits of his control. He slicked his hands with soap and began to run them all over her body, rubbing gentle circles into her skin, kneading the taut muscles of her shoulders, drinking in her sighs and gasps as she moved fluidly under his hands.

He heard words falling from his mouth without thought, hearing the roughness in his own voice. “Marie -- you deserve to be touched, all over. Everywhere, all the time. I’ll never stop touching you.” Something in his words seemed to resonate with her, her eyes fluttering open to lock on his, her hands reaching to grasp him closer.

He pushed her up against the tile wall, head dipping down to suckle her breasts, licking a long line down her tender belly. Her eyes were a mix of innocent curiosity and wonder and liquid heat, and he felt the wicked smile on his own face as he pressed her thighs apart to widen her stance, reveling in her gasp of shock as she realized his intent. God, he wanted to show her everything.

The spray of the shower was warm on his back as he kneeled before her, the heady scent of her arousal making him almost dizzy as he tasted her. Her shocked intake of breath quickly dissolved into excited murmurs and whimpers as he used his mouth and hands on her tender body to say everything he was unable to put into words. Protect you, want you, take care of you, never hurt you, his mind chanted as his tongue circled and suckled and licked, his fingers dipping and pushing and stroking to push her closer and closer.

He could smell her peak approaching, and he growled low with satisfaction, the vibrations sending her over the edge as she clutched his hair, her knees wobbling as she shuddered in pleasure against his mouth. He braced her with strong hands on her waist, tongue lapping gently against her, drawing the sensation out, easing her down from the crest.

He stood up, clasping her close to him, feeling their wet flesh clinging together, taking in panting breaths to ruthlessly curb the needs of his body. He felt her chuckle against the wet skin of his chest. “Still bein’ good, sugar?”

He smiled ruefully. “Still tryin’.”

Her voice, equally amused, “Well, stop.” He felt her small slick hand on his body, the sharp nip of her teeth on his neck, and he felt his blood heating and humming to a roar in his ears. A quick wrench in his belly as his overstretched control snapped, and he turned her roughly in his arms, bracing her hands up against the tile. Then he was pressing into her, arms wrapping around her body to push deeper into her, closer against her.

He heard low inhuman noises coming from his own throat -- wet growls and soft whimpers -- as he pushed and pulled against her, spreading her wider, feeling every inch of her body in delicious friction against his. He felt the pressure building quickly, steamrolling through his body, driving him towards release as he quickened his rhythm to a steady, relentless pace. God, he couldn’t get close enough to her, couldn’t get enough of the feel and smell and taste of her, the soft sounds he was drawing from her body with every thrust.

He buried his face in her wet hair, inhaling the scent of her, warmth and sweetness and arousal and Marie, feeling the tension pull tight in every muscle of his body. His hands came over hers on the tile wall, pinning her as his body invaded and claimed her. He knew the pressure of his hands on hers let her feel the glide as his claws slid out, the action causing no fear in her, only a new burst of arousal so keen he could taste it in the air. A final deep thrust and he was coming hard, growling his release out against her skin as his body throbbed inside her, pleasure roiling through him in a burning rush.

He hadn’t even realized the water had turned tepid, but now he felt it cool against his heated skin. He turned off the spray and gathered her up, snagging a towel to run over their wet hair, as he ambled back through the motel room with her in his arms, tumbling them both into a boneless heap on the rumpled sheets.