“Who is it?” Marie asked. Logan raised his brow.
“How would I know that? I can hear there’s one person and a horse. Probably man. He’ll be knocking soon.”
“Oh, Goddess. You have to hide. Now.”
“To where?”
“My bedroom. Go. Go!” Marie hissed when sharp rap of knuckles against the wooden door echoed in the cabin.
“And take those with you,” she whispered, pointing at the iron chain in the corner. There was absolutely no valid reason to store something that ugly and rusty in her home when she had a shed for that.
“You better get rid of him fast. I can’t shackle myself alone…” Logan warned before he closed the bedroom door behind him.

“I’m coming!” Marie shouted when another knock sounded from the door. She opened the locks and pushed the door open.
“Oh…”
“Good evening, my good wife. Would it be possible to rest for a while in front of your fireplace?”
“Of course… Of course, come in, Father,” she said, curtsying and ushering the old man wearing a monk’s robe inside.
“No, no. I won’t be tolerating that kind of behavior. It’s brother Jeremiah, and I’m just a weary old man, not something to be bowed upon. I just want to warm my old bones before I continue my journey,” man smiled, patting her gently to the shoulder and sitting in front of the fireplace. His gaze swept over the small room, and Marie could see a familiar flash of curiosity.
“Would you like some refreshments, Fa… Brother Jeremiah?” She asked.
“Maybe some water. I do not wish to be a bother. I have a feeling you have more important things to do than…”
“Nonsense. I was going to have supper myself. Just some meat and bread. Maybe some herbal tea?”
“Well, if it isn’t too much trouble, I’d be delighted,” brother Jeremiah smiled.

They ate, and brother Jeremiah kept asking her about everyday happenings, and her opinions and views of the world. It felt strange. Up until now nobody except her father and Logan had talked to her like that. Like she mattered. Like there was weight and importance behind her opinions and words.
“This has been a wonderful, revitalizing breather, little forest mother, but now I have to go. They are expecting me at the parsonage. But maybe I could come back some other time? I left behind formidable herbal garden when I left the monastery, and I noticed you have quite some knowledge about herbs. Maybe we could trade some ideas?” Brother Jeremiah asked standing up.
“Yes, we could, but perhaps not tomorrow…” Marie started, when low growl coming from behind her bedroom door interrupted her.

“Dear Lord in Heaven! What was that?” Brother Jeremiah asked.
“My dog. Very big dog.”
“Sounded more like a bear to me…” Brother Jeremiah muttered.
“That is what I keep it for. To scare of the bears. But you better go now, brother Jeremiah. Forest isn’t safe place after dark.”
“Yes. You’re right. It is better leave when it’s still safe to travel. I thank you for your hospitality…” Brother Jeremiah nodded and left. Not a moment too early. As soon as Marie couldn’t hear the sound of his horse’s hooves anymore, another, much more sinister sound replaced it. Low murmur.
“Oh, no…” She was already too late. Wolf had arrived.

There was no lock on her bedroom door, but doorknob was clearly too complex for the wolf to handle. Instead of grasping the handle it simply pounded against the door, time after time, making the whole cabin tremble. Every once and a while it stopped. She could hear it snooping around. Thick claws scratching against the wooden floor, breath coming in small bursts when it took in scent from under the door, whining slightly. Door wouldn’t hold much longer anymore. She was hesitating now. If she hurried, she could probably get in to village before the wolf got out. But it hadn’t hurt her last night.

She took a step towards the door. She could hear wolf inside stopping. She could imagine it standing there, half hunched, head tilted. Listening.
“Uh… Wolf? Can you hear me?” It didn’t feel so stupid anymore to talk to it. It had been quite apparent it understood her words the night before.
“Could you not break down the door? It took ages to repair the one that the other wolf broke down last night.” Long and slow whine reverberated through the door.
“If you want to get out of there, I can let you out. I can let you out from this cabin, but you have to promise not to hurt me. Do you understand? I’ll open the doors for you, but you can’t hurt me.” Now there was a long silence.
“Do you understand?” Marie asked, and let out a surprised gasp when she got an answer she wouldn’t have expected.
“Won’t hurrrt…”
“You can speak?”
“Yesss…” With a strong lisp, but what could you expect from someone who carried around enough teeth to make even real wolves jealous?
“Open the doorrr…”

She reached for the handle and released the latch that kept the door closed, then backed away from the doorway quickly, averting her eyes from the darkness looming there. Floorboards creaked when the wolf stepped forward. She closed her eyes. She wanted to trust, but was unable to do it when the animal crept closer. She could feel the heat radiating from it. One huge paw cradled her head, clawed fingers curling to the back while palm rested over her cheek.
“Forrget the currree… Won’t hurrrt you… Don’t hurt me… Underrrsssstood?” Wolf purred, hot breath fanning her face. Marie forced her eyes open and met its glowing gaze.
“Don’t hurt people. Don’t maim cattle. Stay out of trouble. Understood?” She laid down her set of rules. Wolf tilted its head. It actually looked like it was grinning; teeth partially bared, long, fleshy tongue lolling over lower jaw.
“You amusssse me… Let me out.”

She slumped against the door and let out a breath she had been holding. She had no way of knowing what her lisping visitor was planning to do.
“At least I amuse it. Oh, Goddess… This isn’t right. It’s my responsibility…” If the wolf decided to raid the village, all those lives and the blood would be on her hands. But how could she possibly restrain and hold something that big and untamed? Surely she was allowed to be selfish and think about herself first? At least every once and a while?

“No.” There really was no justification. No way to defend her actions. After this night it would be over, one way or the other. This was the last night wolf had enough power over Logan to transform. During next full moon she would have enough cure for Logan to bathe in, she would make sure of that.

Heavy thud from the porch pulled her from her thoughts. Who was it at this hour? Another thud. Footsteps. Those were footsteps. And they were approaching the door. Suddenly the door she had repaired with Logan earlier didn’t look so sturdy anymore. What ever was out there was big enough to make the whole cabin tremble when it moved. Then she heard it. Scratching. Somebody was scratching the door.
“Open the doorrr, witchhh…”