First rays of sun woke her up. Wolverine was already gone. Logan had transformed while she slept, and was sitting few steps away from her, leaning against a tree trunk.
“Hi. How are you?” Marie asked little hesitantly. Logan rolled his shoulders and cracked his neck.
“You did good. Found a way to stop the beast before it killed you. Or hurt you in some other way…” He hadn’t gotten dressed yet.
“How do you feel? Are you alright?” Marie asked, scooting closer to him. Logan smiled weakly and nodded.
“Yes. I’m all right. My left hand is still numb, but otherwise everything’s okay.”

“Do you want the good news or the bad news first?” Marie asked when they were walking back to the lake.
“Bad?”
“We’re out of silver. Everything else we need for the cure is easy to find, but…”
“And the good news?”
“We have enough cure for a month.”
“Then bad news aren’t that bad. We can sell the mule and I can work for the silver.”
“Hunt?” Marie asked. Logan shook his head.
“Hunters don’t get paid for what they do.”
“Then how do you live? From where do you get money?”
“I work. There’s always somebody who needs an extra pair of hands to help around the house or fields. Craftsmen who need help. Merchants who pay for escorting them through rough regions. There are ways to get by if you’re willing to get your hands dirty.”
“Oh… I thought…”
“It wouldn’t be right to take money from hunting. Those people, they usually haven’t done a thing to deserve a vampire, wolf or some other monstrosity coming knocking on their door.”
“Then why do you do it? Why do you hunt, put your life in danger on behalf of complete strangers?” Marie asked confused.
“Because I can.”

They washed the grit and grime accumulated on them during the previous night, Logan looking more than ashamed when he finally noticed how torn Marie’s clothes were. They got dressed and ate what little they had left.

“There’s a town coming up ahead, just few hours ride. Do we have any money or silver left?” Logan asked.
“We have few copper coins. No silver,” Marie told him after checking the purse Logan had left in her care three nights ago.
“How many copper?”
“Five.”
“After we get in to town we sell the mule. It’s worth at least two silver coins. We can rent a room for a month with those, and there should be enough to keep us fed, too. I’ll start looking for work as soon as we get there.”
“I could find something, too. I can wash laundry. I’m a good cook. I can sew and…”
“What kind of a man I would be if my wife had to work?” Logan asked with a clipped tone.
“But… I thought…” Marie stammered, turning her gaze towards the ground, missing the amused smile on Logan’s face.
“At least for now you have to work. We both have to. I’m sorry about that. Still want to get married?” He asked.
“What’s wrong with wanting to work?” Marie asked, cheeks burning bright red from anger and embarrassment.
“Nothing wrong with that. Just wanted to make sure that you know what you’re agreeing to. I won’t be able to provide you small house standing on a land we own. What you see right now is what you’re getting. There’s no rich relatives, no money, no property.”
“We’ll be the perfect match, then,” Marie smiled. Logan nodded, brushed the breadcrumbs from his lap and stood up, offering his hand to her.
“And there will be no fancy wedding at the church, either. I have an inkling that getting over the threshold of such a holy place would be quite impossible for me now,” he said with apologetic tone. Marie took his hand and let him pull her up before leaning against him and wrapping her arms around him.
“I don’t care about treasures. I don’t care about Gods and Goddesses. Not as long as you’re with me. I am your wife.”

Marie was relieved to notice that the town Logan had spoken about, Ravensholm wasn’t much bigger than her home village had been. She had been quite nervous on their ride there, trying to imagine what her life would be in a crowded, messy and noisy town, but when they rode through the front gates all her anxieties vanished to thin air. Ravensholm consisted of church, Inn, Tavern, few shops of craftsmen and few two-story houses surrounding a marketplace.

“It’s not big, but I have a feeling we’ll do just fine in here. At least for a while…” Logan muttered when they tied their horses in front of the tavern.
“I like this place. It’s… Peaceful. Reminds me of home,” Marie said, smile spreading to her lips.
“Home? Do you miss it? Miss those people?” Logan asked sounding surprised. Marie shook her head.
“Not the people. The place. I… I don’t know how to explain it…” She struggled to find the right words.
“I know what you mean. But sometimes… Sometimes you can’t go back home. You just have to keep going until you find something better…” Logan spoke, squeezing her shoulder briefly.
“Go and ask from the tavern if they know anybody willing to rent a room. I’ll go and sell the mule,” He continued.

She entered to Wild Goose with some hesitation. She had been in tavern before, but never alone. Waiting to face a drunken crowd of rowdy men she let out a surprised gasp when door opened in front of her to reveal almost empty room, with only few customers sitting in front of fireplace, and tavern keeper polishing nearly spotless counter. Customers paid her a quick glance before settling back to their hushed conversation.

She crossed the floor and sat to a stool in front of the counter. Big, beer-bellied man behind it smiled at her.
“What will it be for the lady?” He asked.
“My husband and I are looking for a place to stay…” Marie started. Man’s smile faltered a bit.
“Then you’d be better off at the opposite end of the marketplace, at Traveler’s Rest.”
“Oh, no. No. We’re planning to stay in town for a while, and were hoping we could rent a room, rather than spend our money to the Inn,” Marie explained hurriedly. Man behind the counter shook his head.
“You’re out of luck, I’m afraid. Nobody around here is willing to let strangers in to their home.”
“Thanks… I guess. I better go and see my husband…” Marie slid down from the stool.
“And if you’re planning to stay anyway, I’d suggest you spend your nights at the Inn. It’s not safe out there at night…” Words were shouted after her through the closing door.