Horse was coughing and foaming under her. She could hear Wolverine rustling beside them in the forest. It was toying with her, like a cat with a mouse.

“Blood Moon… Iron, silver, garlic… They won’t hold it… Run!” Logan had been struggling against the transformation, pushing the wolf down with all he got. At first Marie had frozen to the place, only able to stare when change crept on in him, making his body stretch and bones bend. When his skin started to part, thick tufts of black hair pushing through the slits realization finally hit her. Tonight Wolverine would rule.

“Come on, just a little while longer…” She kept whispering and pleading. Horse was stumbling, it was ready to keel over, and several hours separated her from the sun and safety. Several long hours of blood red glow of the moon.

Horse had flinched when she jumped to it’s back, but it seemed to understand what was going on. She had heard enraged howl from behind them, chains breaking. Wolverine was free.

Forest around her was quiet. Quiet enough that she dared to stop her horse. Animal let out a shuddering breath, head drooping and long limbs trembling. Silence. Complete, utter silence. Had they outrun the beast? Had it gotten tired and taken after an easier prey? They had passed several scared deer and rabbits; maybe Wolverine had gotten distracted…

That small shred of hope was crashed to the bud when Wolverine came flying from the thicket, crashing against the horse she was riding and sending them all to the ground. Wolf’s jaws locked around horse’s hind leg. Sickening snap, and horse was whining and flailing helplessly on the ground, bone crushed. It wouldn’t be running anymore.
“Oh, Goddess… No…” Marie whimpered, dragging herself with her bare hands through the moss and leaves covering the ground.
**Your Goddess isn’t here to help you now.** Strong paw locked around her ankle and she was being dragged backwards, towards the panting beast. She rolled on her back to face the wolf. It was clearly as exhausted as her horse had been, black fur sweaty and clinging to its skin.
“Let go!” She kept screaming and kicking until Wolverine rolled on top of her, anchoring her against the ground with its massive frame.
**Your Goddess isn’t here tonight, little witch. This night belongs to me.**
“No! Logan! Logan!” She tried to scratch wolf’s face. It let out an annoyed snort and trapped her hands above her head with one giant paw.
**I’ll let you choose. Do you wish to live?**

Question gave her more strength and she was able to squirm loose from Wolverine’s hold. She managed to take few swaying steps before she felt hard grip around her ankle again. Ground rose and she collided with it with a hard thud, scraping her hands and knees.

**Do you wish to live?** Wolverine asked again, fanged snout hovering only inches from her face, scent of death and decay oozing from its breath. One paw wrapped around her throat made breathing difficult, other clawed limb was already tearing off her trousers and shirt. Wolverine was being careful not to scratch her skin, but Marie knew it would change soon. As soon as she gave her answer. Depending on it Wolverine would either tear her open or just bite her.
“Logan, please…”
**He’s not here…** Wolverine started with arrogant voice, jaws hovering over her now exposed breasts, thick tendrils of sticky drool slicking her skin. Marie squeezed her eyes shut when she felt something hard and hot poking her thigh.
**I’m asking this for the last time. Do you wish to live?** She was about to answer when wolf suddenly froze and started gagging, letting go of her and retreating.
**I’m here… Don’t know how long… Run!** Logan’s hazel eyes peered from wolf’s face. He was backing away from her, fighting for every inch of distance he managed to put between them.
**Run little bitch, run! I’ll catch you again!** Wolverine mocked and tried to lunge forward. Logan’s hold over it held, but she had no way of telling how long their luck would last.

She grabbed a sturdy-looking branch. It was heavy, but not too heavy. She was strong enough to swing it and sweep Wolverine down on its knees. She hesitated for a moment when wolf whimpered.
**Do it.** Logan spoke, every muscle quivering from the strain. Wolverine was trying to get up. Man was fighting tooth and nail to keep it down.
”I’m sorry…” She swung the branch. It connected with Wolverine’s head, throwing it to the side, breaking the thick neck. Wolverine fell limp to the ground.

She threw away the branch and walked to the fallen beast. It was still breathing, but its neck was bent to an awkward angle.
**You may have won this time… I’ll be back…** It hissed, bitter gleam in its yellow eyes.
“No. You won’t be if I have anything to say about it…” She spat collapsing next to it on her knees, exhausted and out of breath. At the moment wolf was as harmless as a kitten, connections between its brain and body torn and broken. It would heal, but not fast enough to hurt her anymore tonight. First thing in the morning she would give Logan the cure.