Few hours before the sunset she reached the lake Logan had told her about. To her surprise Logan was already there, waiting for her.
“You sure took your time!” He grumbled, but his smile betrayed his amusement.
“I only stopped to eat once!” She huffed, landing from the saddle and tying the reigns of the animals to a fir before going over to where Logan sat on a rock, dangling his feet in the water. There were small tears in his clothes, and cloth had been tattered with blood.
“What happened?” Marie asked, taking in his slightly rumpled appearance. Logan smirked and reached to his side.
“Found some roses on my way here…” He handed her a single flower, more of a bud than an actual rose.
“Wasn’t really looking for my steps. Wanted to get here in time. Fell down a small slope and these were growing at the bottom of it. Took quite a while to pluck out all the thorns from my hide. I think there’s still few in my back, couldn’t reach there…” He shrugged off his shirt. She found the thorns easily, one lodged just under his left shoulderblade, another to the small of his back.

“Ahh… Much better…” Logan murmured lying on his back to the ground as soon as she had plucked off offending pieces of greenery. She stretched next to him, laying her head to his chest.
“Last night…” She whispered, letting her fingers play with his chest hair. She could hear Logan’s heart beating faster.
“Yeah. I’ll start taking the cure every day. Starting tomorrow morning. Who knows, maybe I’ll manage to drown that bastard…”
“Logan… It said something to me last night. About the cure…” Marie started. Logan grunted annoyed.
“You can’t trust a thing that comes out of that mouth!”
“But it kind of made perfect sense. It said that the cure isn’t permanent.”
“I know it isn’t permanent. That’s why I have to keep taking it for the rest of my life. You knew it already. What’s the problem?” Logan asked puzzled.
“Wolverine doesn’t believe it’ll work for long. It said that it would probably come immune to it after a while,” Marie whispered, clutching him tighter.
“I doubt it. And even if it happens… It’ll take quite some time. We’ll just have to figure out something else before it happens. A new cure.”

“We still have some time left. Want to go swimming?”
“I don’t know… Isn’t the water awfully cold at this time of year?” Marie asked hesitantly.
“Doesn’t feel cold,” Logan said, wiggling his feet under the rippling surface of the lake.
“I…”
“Suit yourself. I’m going in,” Logan smirked, shedding his clothes and walking deeper before diving under water.

She watched in awe when he rose back to surface and stood up, water sloshing and rippling just below his ribcage. She couldn’t understand how somebody could be so trusting and completely at ease when surrounded with that much water. She wasn’t afraid of water, but she couldn’t swim, either. There hadn’t been trips to lakes and ponds in her childhood. She seriously doubted whether anybody in her home village could actually swim.

“Come on! What are you waiting for? It’s warm!”
“I… I can’t swim…” She confessed blushing. It was stupid, really. To feel that awkward. She knew many people who couldn’t. But Logan looked so perfect, water trickling down his shoulders and chest, dark hair slicked back from his forehead, those yellow eyes finally twinkling from genuine joy instead of being clouded over from worry and guilt. She felt like she was ruining the moment from him.
“So? Come over here, I won’t let you drown. This feels great!”

“You were right.” After she had gotten over her initial fear and hesitation it felt rather nice. Surprisingly warm water lapping against the underside of her breasts, her legs wrapped up tightly around Logan’s waist while he waded slowly deeper, keeping one hand anchored firmly around her waist.
“I used to swim all the time when I was younger. There’s a small pond near Claude’s place. They used to joke about it. Told me I would grow out fins and gills if I wasn’t careful…”
“Nope. No gills in there. Just ugly beard…” Marie giggled little nervously.
“Ugly? Don’t like hairy men?” Logan asked raising his eyebrow.
“You sure could use shaving. Don’t mind hair in general, but that stubble is kind of scratchy… Oh! What was that?”
“What was what?” Logan asked grinning. She felt it again. Something brushing against her in the water. Gliding over her folds. Feather-light touch.
“We still have time…” Logan murmured bowing his head and planting a soft kiss to her lips.
“Are… Are you sure?” She squeaked grabbing his shoulders when he started to rub her clitoris with the tip of his cock.
“Uh-huh… Still an hour left before the sun sets…”

Familiar, tingly warmth was slowly spreading from the pit of her stomach, making her most secret spot soften, and slicking it. She was already gasping out of breath when Logan slid inside of her, every muscle under her palms bunching and coiling.
“Oh…” It felt different than before. Water had cooled his cock, and she could feel it more clearly than ever before. Every vein, every ridge, rubbing from all the right places. Even Logan seemed to notice the difference, tilting his head backwards and hissing from the contact.
“So hot…” He muffled their combined cry by devouring her lips to a bruising kiss.

“I hate this…” She kicked the chain and glared at it.
“Just do it. After tonight it’ll be over,” Logan said putting on the collar. Just a moment ago he had made love with her in the lake, now she was supposed to chain him like an animal that he was going to turn all too soon.
“Are you sure?” Marie asked fighting to keep back tears that threatened to fall. Logan refused to look her in the eyes.
“I’m sure. We will find a way to get rid of it.”

They ate in silence. There was not a trace of Logan’s earlier playfulness in him. Wolverine was already pushing through, making him attack their simple meal like it was something to be eviscerated. Probably much like Wolverine had done to brother Jeremiah the night before. Transformation crept over him at slower pace than before. At first she didn’t even notice it. Logan’s breathing had gotten harsher, labored, and thin sheen of perspiration covered his features, but that was expected. As was the growing clumsiness and small twitches all over his frame. Suddenly he tore his eyes from the bread he was holding and turned his gaze towards the darkening sky where moon was slowly rising.
“Blood Moon… Marie… Take the horse… Leave, now!”