Author's Chapter Notes:
Woohoo! Got home earlier today, so I had the time to write. * indicates Wolverine's lisp. I got tired writing it, and I'm quite sure you guys got tired of reading it.
She had fallen asleep to Logan’s embrace, her head propped against his chest, and his strong hands wrapped securely around her. She woke up alone, all wrapped up to his shirt and jacket. Sun was setting.
“Logan?” She sat up and gathered her clothes. Started putting them on.
“Logan?” She called him again. Only wind answered. Had he changed already?
“Wolverine?” Again no answer. Both horses and the mule were as they had left them before they fell asleep, munching away fresh leaves and small patches of grass. Then she heard it. Noise that had woken her up in the first place. A howl. Not far from her.

Armed with Logan’s revolver and her own sword she went to investigate, threading carefully over dry branches and leaves. She crept slowly, keeping her head down and ducking behind trees and bushes. What she found from a small clearing in the woods, not far from the path they had walked on earlier made her stomach curl.

“Howl all you like. Maybe that bitch of yours comes looking for you…” Brother Jeremiah cackled mockingly. Wolverine growled enraged, fingers curled around thick metal band adorning its throat, trying to pull it off. Iron didn’t hurt the wolf, but it took away its powers. Heavy chain was attached to the collar, and other end of that chain was locked with a padlock around thick fir. Trapped.

“Is she curious? I bet she is. Has to be. Willing to give herself to an animal like you…” Brother Jeremiah taunted Wolverine, keeping just out of its reach, taking great pleasure every time the beast tried to attack and collar yanked it backwards, and making it choke and gag.

“But if you’re not willing to call her to watch the show, I just have to make you…” Brother Jeremiah muttered going to his bag, and taking out some items. At this distance Marie couldn’t see, but judging from the sudden change in wolverine’s behavior nothing pleasant came out of that bag. It backed away from the man whimpering, trying to hide behind the tree that it was chained to.
“Now, I’m not very pleased with your behavior. Come out here and take your medicine like a good little doggy…” Brother Jeremiah smirked and lifted something to his lips. Some kind of cylinder made out of metal. A blowgun. Small dart left the cylinder, and Marie heard a startled yelp when it hit the target.

Wolverine staggered from behind the tree, dazed expression on its face, tearing the dart off and scratching its chest.
“Just a little cure. I’m sure that the man in you can appreciate it…” Brother Jeremiah snickered when the wolf toppled over letting out a pained howl.

Hunter’s cruel administrations had momentarily distracted her, but now Marie raised the revolver. She had a perfect aim right in the middle of Brother Jeremiah’s back, when man suddenly spun around, wide smile spreading on his face.
“How nice of you to join us, my dear lady Rogue!”
“Pleasure is not mine!” Marie shouted and pulled the trigger. She hit Brother Jeremy squarely on the chest, and man fell down with a hard thud.

She ran to Wolverine that was crawling on the ground, puking its guts out.
*Go away… Run…*
“Don’t worry, he can’t hurt you anymore, he’s dead now. I shot him,” Marie tried to calm down the beast that was scrambling to its feet and pushing her away.
*Not dead… Not dead! Run!* wolverine grabbed her arm and tried to push her towards the path, when she heard a scary sound from behind her back. Somebody laughing. Brother Jeremiah laughing.

“Oh, how touching… A loyal minion protecting its mistress…” Wolverine pushed her behind its back, low warning rumble echoing from in its chest. Even chained it was challenging the hunter.
“Please… All it takes is a shot of cure and you go down. Spare me from that pompous act!” Brother Jeremy huffed standing up.
“In the name of all… How is that possible? I shot you!” Marie gasped aghast.
“Trick of the trade. A trick I’m not willing to reveal for the likes of you. Be a good little witch and come to me. I might just show some mercy to your lapdog and let it out of its misery instead of dragging its torment forever if you behave and do as I tell you to do.”
*No. You’ll have to get through me first…*
“Wolverine…” Marie started when the wolf turned to look at her. Yellow in its eyes was rapidly diminishing, and to her it looked like it was getting smaller all over. Suddenly she realized what was happening. Collar around its throat was made to contain the wolf. For the man it would be big enough to slide off over his head. Wolverine was retreating.
*Be careful…* Wolf hissed to her.

“Promise you won’t harm the wolf, and I’ll come with you,” Marie shouted.
“I’ll promise I won’t harm it any more than it’s absolutely necessary to kill it, if you come to me right now!” Brother Jeremiah answered, keeping a safe distance between Wolverine and himself.
“Just… What ever you do, could you do it somewhere else? I don’t want him to see it…” Marie said, lowering her gun to the ground along her sword before inching slowly towards the hunter.
“I’ll do as you tell me to do, but don’t… You have already proven that you’re smarter than the two of us. Give him a chance to die in peace, please?” She pretended to be beaten and tired. Brother Jeremiah smiled, extending his hand.
“You have been a worthy adversary. I can surely take you a little further to meet your maker…” He said, grabbing her hand and pulling her after him.

“Do you wish to make peace with our good Lord before…” Brother Jeremiah asked, unsheathing a sharp looking knife.
“Yes… Yes. I think it would be for the best…” Marie whispered hesitantly.
“I will wait until you’re ready," brother Jeremiah promised. Marie turned her back on him and kneeled to the ground, crossing her hands and closing her eyes. She was pretty sure this was hot it was done. Her father had taken her to the church every day when she was just a little girl, but almost everything from those happier days was long forgotten from her.
“Could you pray with me, brother Jeremiah?” She asked, hoping to distract the man from possible noises Logan or Wolverine would make approaching.
“Certainly. I’m happy that you see the err of your ways and repent…” Brother Jeremiah said, not letting go of his knife, but raising his voice to a prayer.

She listened the sound of his voice, and real, genuine faith that shone through every word. She realized something. As twisted as brother Jeremiah was, he wasn’t evil. He was just misguided. And suddenly regardless of the hell he had put them through, both her and Logan, and Wolverine, she felt sudden rush of pity.
“Brother Jeremiah…” She started and turned around. Brother Jeremiah stopped talking, and his eyes went wide as saucers. His lips still moved, but not a word came out of his mouth. Wolverine was towering over him, one giant paw curled around his throat.
*Walk away, little one…* Wolf rasped. Marie turned her back and started back towards their campsite. From behind she could hear gurgling scream and sound of tearing flesh and bone.