When she woke up the sun had already set. Logan was standing by the window, wearing clothes much alike he had worn when she had seen him for the first time, comfortable looking black trousers and a shirt with leather vest. Long leather coat draped over his shoulders.
“My clothes are too big for you. I think Claude might have something in your size,” he said without turning to look, as if he had somehow sensed she was awake.
“Assuming we’re still welcome…” He muttered, walking to the chair and slumping over it.
“If Claude throws us out, we just have to figure something else,” Marie said, spotting a small basin and a pitcher on the windowsill. Small bar of soap sat next to them.
“I’ll go and wait downstairs,” Logan promised.”

It felt heavenly to wash of grit and filth that had accumulated during the previous night. After she had washed up, she could only glare at her tattered clothes. They were filthy and smelly.
“Oh… Disgusting…”
“What’s taking you so long?” Logan asked climbing the stairs back in to the loft.
“Logan!” She tried to cover her nudity with her hands.
“Stop being such a prude. What’s the problem?”
“I can’t wear these anymore…” She said, kicking the pile of her clothes on the floor. Logan crossed the floor with couple of swift strides and dove in to a closet.
“Here. They’re too big, but better than nothing. Not that I would mind if you strolled around naked, but I don’t want to beat Claude off from your back…” He smirked, throwing her trousers, shirt and a belt.
“Thank you. Could you turn around?” Marie asked, holding the bundle of clothes in front of her.
“It’s not like I didn’t already see everything…” Logan smiled, raised his hands and backed towards the stairs.
“But okay. I’ll go. Get dressed. I’m hungry.”

She heard the barn door opening. At first she thought Logan had gone out, but then she heard Claude’s voice. He was whispering with Logan something.
“No!” Logan sounded angry.
“But she’s the same size, and…”
“Don’t even think about it. Why the hell have you even kept her things?”
“Logan, be reasonable!” They weren’t whispering anymore.
“She won’t be wearing her clothes!”
“She was my sister. I think I’m entitled to decide to whom I’ll give her clothes and other possessions…”
“Fine. Just don’t expect me to be happy about it!” Logan growled, door opened and closed.

“Rogue?” Claude called her from downstairs.
“Yes?”
“I brought you some clothes and other things I thought you might need. I leave them down here. Get dressed and come then to supper. Okay?”
“Okay…” She waited until she heard Claude leaving before going to retrieve the small trunk he had left for her to the bottom of the stairs. It was heavy, but she managed to jostle it to the loft.
“Oh…”

On top lay beautiful set of silver combs and brushes. Under them the trunk was filled to the brim with shirts, trousers, socks, shoes and vests. Silk, cotton, leather, in every imaginable shapes and colors. Some of them were clearly worn, but everything was well kept and clean. Sister? These belonged to Claude’s sister. What had happened to her? Only reason woman would part from this beautiful things would be if she were dead, that was sure.

She chose soft looking trousers made out of black suede, and long boots made out of same material. Loose fitting dark red silk shirt and black leather vest completed her outfit. She braided her long brown hair to a single braid that fell over her back. Something clinked silently when she was closing the trunk. A ring had fallen out. Simple gold band, with inscription inside. L&L. She took it with her. She was quite sure that Claude hadn’t meant to give that to her. It was clearly a wedding band. So his sister had been married.

It was only a short walk from the barn to Claude’s place. She pushed the door open, expecting to see both men already sitting at the table and bantering with each other like they had done earlier that day. Instead Claude was there alone, his back turned. He was adding some logs to the fireplace.
“Good evening. Where’s Logan?” Marie asked, stepping in and closing the door behind her.
“He went for a walk, but I’m… I’m… Dear Lord!” Claude started to stutter when he turned and saw her. He reached for a chair and sat heavily, seemingly unable to tear his eyes off from her.
“Sorry. Sorry for my rudeness… But you could be her! Same built, even same hair… Eyes are wrong and nose, but…”
“Her? Your sister?” Marie asked, choosing a chair from the table and sitting down. Claude nodded.
“She died six years ago. You could be… You’re so much alike her, you could have been twins… I can see why Logan was against this…”
“Is it alright if I wear her clothes?” Marie asked, starting to feel uncomfortable under Claude’s scrutiny. Claude shook his head and smiled.
“It is perfectly okay. I’m only happy those clothes fit to you. Now, my lady Rogue, are you hungry?”

Claude was a surprisingly good cook. Simple stew he had made from fish and vegetables and soft bread that were filled with greasy nuts and pine seeds were delicious.
“Oh, I almost forgot!” Marie suddenly exclaimed and pulled the ring from her pocket.
“I found this from the trunk. I don’t think you meant me to have it,” she said, handing the band to Claude. He took it, read the inscription.
“No. This isn’t for you…”
“Your sister… What was her name?” Marie asked.
“Laurel. She was a hunter, too. Died fulfilling her duty.”
“But she was married…” Marie scrunched her forehead in confusion. Usually women discarded everything outside home when they got married.
“Husband was a hunter, too. Very good friend of mine. They worked well together. Almost as if they shared one mind and body. Those were good days…” Claude said, longing smile spreading on his handsome face.
“But that was then. This is now,” he shrugged himself out from his memories.
“How’s the food?”
“It’s delicious. You’re an excellent cook.”
“Well, thank you! It’s good to hear that at least somebody appreciates my efforts!” Claude said turning towards the door and raising his voice. Marie turned to look.

Logan stood frozen at the doorstep, his gaze fixed upon her. Face pale, hands clutching the doorframe so hard that his knuckles had turned to white.
“Hi. Where did you go?” She asked. Logan opened his mouth to answer, but he was clearly unable to find words. His eyes narrowed and he turned his piercing gaze to Claude.
“You’re a sick bastard, De Santos. You should have burned her things…” He hissed and stumbled back out, in to the night.
“Uhh… Maybe it really would be for the best if I gave her clothes back to you… I’m sure Logan can take me to town tomorrow, and we can buy me some new ones…” Marie whispered, fiddling with the sleeve of the shirt she wore. Claude squeezed her shoulder reassuringly.
“Nonsense. He’ll get over it. And I’m sure this would have been what Laurel would have wanted…”