The bright dappling of sunlight on grass barely drew Rogue’s attention as she settled beneath the trees. Instead she focused on the letter in her hand. A letter from a stranger she’d never met, but who seemed to think she had something of importance.

Opening the envelope she pulled out a small card and read the simple line. It was an address in the city, one she’d walked past a few times but had never really paid any attention to.

A glance upwards revealed the distrust and disgust from the other students as they looked at her. Even here amongst the freaks she stood out. With a sigh Rogue rose to her feet and headed for the garage. She’d go see what the author wanted – and perhaps it would give her something to cling to.


“Good afternoon Rogue.” The heavily accented voice had her glancing a tall, lanky young man who smiled at her as she stepped through the door.

“How do you…?”

The young man smiled. “All will be explained.”

Following him down the hall she stepped into the warm, well lit office he’d directed her to. Sinking into a plush leather chair she sighed, every instinct in her body telling her that she was safe…even the Logan in her head didn’t seem to be too concerned.

“Rogue, how lovely of you to come.” The large, lush chair behind the desk turned to reveal an older woman with flowing grey hair, green eyes, and an ageless beauty that put even the women at the mansion to shame.

“You said you had some answers for me.” Rogue said.

“Yes, yes I did. You’re familiar with the cycles of the world aren’t you? Familiar with what you can’t see.”

“Yes. What’s that got to do with me?”

A slim, weathered hand slid across the desk. A moment later Rogue stared down at large, beautifully crafted gold coin. “What is this?”

“Yours. Take it.” Rising to her feet the woman walked to the window and stared out. “You’re not like them Rogue. You’re much more powerful, much different.”

“What is it you want from me?” Rogue shot back.

“For you to take your place amongst us.”

Shaking her head Rogue stared at the coin for a moment. “Let me guess you want to rule the world. Make it safe for mutants and get rid of humans?”

“No Rogue. We don’t believe in such nonsense. We are what is known as Cyclonic if you will.”

Rogue frowned. “What’s that mean?”

“There are four cycles in everything. From microscopic organisms to the largest organism alive. If it’s an organic there’s a cycle to it.”

“Explain.”

“Conception, birth, life, and death are all part of the cycle. No matter who you are you’re in some part of that span. There are those who are directly linked to them. That can control them.”

“What’s that got to do with me?”

“You’re a part of that cycle Rogue. You and your mate.”

“I haven’t…”

“I’ve watched you for a long time Rogue. Watched the man whom you are close to…”

“Logan?”

“You two are linked, joined at an elemental level. Your fate is tied to his and his to you.”

Rogue stared at her.

“Look at the coin Rogue, it’s the answer.”

Staring down at the coin Rogue swallowed. Her likeness stared back at her. The detail was amazing, everything about her including her streaks was imprinted on the coin. Turning it over with hands that shook she stared down into a likeness of Logan. “Why are we on the same coin?”

“Because you are the same. You both wield death’s axe, and yet you keep each other alive.”

“But I drain him. I could kill him…”

“You’ve both killed the other… its part of what makes you who and what you are.”

Rising Rogue stared at the coin, a frown marring her face. “But he’s not even here. And he wouldn’t…”

“You’ll find that Wolverine will surprise you. Even as we speak he’s regaining his awareness. It has been years in the making Rogue. We had to let you both be reborn…let your love be reborn. It wasn’t hard. You’ve both been asleep a long time, it’s time to wake up.”

“I can’t…I need to think.” She whispered.

“I know. You’re stronger than you think Rogue. Let yourself claim this gift. Allow yourself to move past the limitations that are placed upon you by mere mortals.”

With a nod Rogue walked out into the sunshine and stared. Sitting on Scott’s stolen bike was a familiar man. Smiling softly she walked toward him, “When did you get here?”

“This morning. They fill you in?”

“I don’t know Logan. I don’t understand.”

Logan nodded. “It’s part of who I was before the army. Before I stepped out of the circle. We’ve been together a long time Marie, and we still have an eternity to be together.”

“You seem to accept this very, very easily.”

Logan reached into his shirt and pulled out a small, gold colored piece of metal. “I found the base where they first took me. This was wrapped up in a box with a file with my information and an antique picture.”

Rogue stared at the coin he held. “We can’t go back to Xavier can we?”

Logan shook his head. “We don’t belong there Marie. Death has no home.”

“I can be with you out there?”

Logan nodded and moved forward allowing her to climb on the back of the bike. Glancing up he smiled at the woman who stood in the open doorway. “Thanks again.”

“Be careful Logan. Even Death must face Life.”

Glancing at Rogue then back at the woman he grinned. “Somehow I don’t think that’s going to be a big issue.”


The roar of the motorcycle faded as she stood in the doorway and watched the world drift by. Their future wouldn’t be easy, but then nothing about being one of the Four was easy. Someday they’d understand the true meaning of who and what they were…for now she’d let them have their love, their future, and their life. When they were needed she’d call them back like she called all her children before them.