Stepping into the rec room Rogue froze as all eyes turned to her, unaware of how comical the picture was she made standing with her mouth gaping open a half eaten apple clutched in one hand halfway to her mouth.

“Hey! Come in and join us,” Jean smiled warmly at her and waved at the young woman standing in the doorway.

Glancing at the others when Rogue’s gaze slid upwards, checking the archway, the ceiling, and any miscellaneous area where mistletoe could possibly be hung Ororo hid a smirk. Obviously Rogue wasn’t in a huge Christmas mood.

“Whatcha guys doing?”

“Discussing what we wanted for Christmas,” Jean explained as Rogue settled uneasily into a chair. “How about you?”

“Just grabbing a snack,” Rogue replied stiffly, hesitantly. It was beyond obvious that some of the more interesting practical jokes they’d played in the holiday spirit on the young woman had left their mark.

“Why don’t you join in the conversation,” Kitty suggested softly, “We promise nothing is going to fall on your head or anything like that.”

Rogue gave a hint of a smile and bit into her apple, “That’s good to know.”

“Yeah chica, we just want you to feel included ya know. I mean last year you sat in your room all day.”

“I’m not really into Christmas,” Rogue muttered uneasily shifting in her chair uncomfortably. It was the truth but not for the reasons most thought, she didn’t want to celebrate a holiday that held no meaning to Logan. He was always alone, always on the move at that time of the year – didn’t even stay in a hotel room, rather he’d spend the day in some dank little backwater bar drinking beer or walking in the cold. After all Christmas was for family, not for a loner with nowhere to go.

“You aren’t? How about Logan or Magneto?” St. John asked calmly ignoring the looks being shot his way.

“Actually Eric likes Christmas, says it’s a time of new hope.”

“Just leaves Logan,” St. John muttered under his breath but he noticed Rogue caught the statement and swallowed painfully certain that he was about to get a crash course in Rogue’s bad moods.

“If you could have anything in the world, what would it be?” Jubilee asked quickly, an infectious grin on her face. “Come on I bet I can guess. I bet it has to do with your skin, probably wish it was off.”

Rogue sighed and bit into her apple to avoid answering. What would she like for Christmas if she could have anything? The answer was glaringly simple, no it wouldn’t be her skin – Logan liked her skin, liked the edge it gave her. Besides having skin like hers was turning out to be a good thing it kept wanna be Romeo’s off her back.

Nope, skin was out, clear mind – definitely not! She loved having Logan up there to talk to. He kept the demons at bay, so what if she had to endure nightmares it was a small price to pay to know that no one could get in her head – ever again.

She had money, had fine clothes, and a rich caretaker and yet it all meant nothing. She was alone for the most part because Logan wasn’t here, wasn’t a part of the festivities that were currently driving her up the wall.

Smiling Rogue glanced at the assembled group and rose to her feet, “What I want for Christmas huh? That’s an easy one I’d give anything to get Logan..”

“Uh girl deadly skin, remember?” Jubilee declared with a snap of her gum.

Chuckling Rogue shrugged, “It’s just a prison like any other. You’re imprisoned by your mutations to, just not as obviously as I am. No, you asked what I wanted for Christmas my answer is Logan. That’s all, nothing more, nothing less and since I know he’s not going to be here I’m going to go watch another game and maybe do some reading and try not to get sucked into all the nonsense of the holiday season.”

“Hmmph, what a humbug,” Bobby snapped as Rogue walked toward the door.

Hiding a smile Rogue stepped out of the doorway and headed for the stairs, her free hand reaching up to pluck at the tag that still hung around her neck. “Please God, keep him safe and show him the way home to me,” she prayed silently as she glanced upwards before hurrying up the stairs to her room.