The low angry hiss of the engine overheating was enough to stir Wolverine’s rage as he slammed a palm against the steering wheel. “For the love of....” biting off the rest of the curse he exhaled and slammed the door as he went to pop the hood.

Waving past the steam and smoke from under the engine he stared at the worn hoses that had obviously burst and swore long and loud. Growling in frustration he stomped to the back of the truck and dug around in the dry box, he’d packed extras in case something happened and if he could fix it then he could make it to the next town, the next fight.

With a disgusted shake of his head he tossed the wrench back into the truck after slamming the hood down. Climbing into the truck he put it into gear and stepped on the gas pedal, his gaze tracing over the ground illuminated by his headlights, not really paying any attention to what was beyond them.

Pulling into a parking lot next to a run down, road side bar he killed the engine again and slid out of the truck. Walking across the parking lot with only the crunching of the snow under his boots he glanced around and froze. Sitting on the edge of the parking lot a tall, robust looking Douglas fur sat, strings of bright lights wrapped around it like yards of silk, instantly reminding him of the dark, glittery scarf he had tucked away in the back of his truck.

Changing direction he walked closer to the tree and noticed tiny slips of paper on it, reaching for one he opened it up and chuckled at the simple scrawled words. Ten minutes later he was standing reading another of the wish cards, his mind racing as he picked up on the ones that wished for family, friends, a place to call the writers own, all things that he knew he’d left behind in New York.

Picking up another ragged eared card he flipped it open and swallowed hard, “Wish I might, wish I may.... How I wish I could touch his heart. I could wish him home again! R with a slash Marie.”

“Oh kid what the hell were ya doing out here?” he ground out and glanced around him uneasily. If she was here then the rest of the X-crew had to be close by as well. Not catching her scent, and realizing that she was probably long gone by now he let the card slip through his fingers before reaching into his jacket pocket and pulled out the well worn old pen he kept for pickin’ up phone numbers back when he actually wanted ‘em.

“Wish I might, wish I may....How I wish you could see you already have,” he wrote before putting the pen away and stepping back. Glancing up his gaze caught on a bright star and he smirked softly, “Wish I might, wish I may....How I wish I was home for Christmas,” he muttered before shaking his head and turning back to the battered old Chevy he drove. He’d have to drive like hell to make it back on time but he would do whatever it took to make sure her wish was granted!