Author's Chapter Notes:
YEESH!! I forgot how difficult historical pieces can be! I’m gonna get back to the present, I swear!! Just have to set a stage or two for the finale.

Please also know, I have the utmost respect and admiration for teachers. They don't nearly get the recognition they deserve and they deserve a lot!!. Please do not take anything negative said here seriously. It is spoken only to address the ridiculous rules and regulations heaped on single, female teachers of the early 20th century.

------------Chapter 6-----------

The afternoon’s classes went well. For some reason Rogue was struck at how easily everything seemed to just tumble out of her head. What she enjoyed most however, was assisting the younger children. The atmosphere of helping each other, that each child was given the space to learn at his or her own pace and to concentrate on ideas and philosophies that interested them was yet another in a long list of déjà vu moments that were piling up in the space in her brain that wasn’t unconscious thought, but wasn’t really conscious either.

At any rate, however, the rather ‘free thinking’ atmosphere of the school was attractive to Rogue, and she made a point to speak with the teacher during one of the lulls in class time. Ms. Winters agreed that Rogue, or Marie as her fellow students and teacher called her, had a most definite knack for education. She’d noticed it before and was meaning to approach Rogue herself. Having finally gotten connected, Ms. Winters was virtually gushing with eagerness and pride to tell Rogue all about the very impressive ‘new wave’ teaching style of The Organic Education school.

The more Ms. Winters spoke about the ‘scandalous’ new style of teaching put forth by Marietta Johnson, the more Rogue could feel a connection with the founder’s want and vision for her schools. The rejection of rote memorization of meaningless facts and prescribed curricula. The desire to learn about each child and discover the individual learning style that would help them best. The encouragement given to experience the world through new adventures and events, by trying new things and asking even the most outrageous questions. The adaptability of the classroom environment to promote the in-borne curiosity and desire to learn in all children of all ages.

So deep in discussion were they that neither had noticed that it was well past the time for the day’s final bell to be rung. Again, surprised, but not, Rogue found her fellow students still hard at work, no one staring longingly at the Grandfather clock in the corner, mentally begging someone to notice the time and release them from the indentured servitude of school.

Veritably bouncing down the steps, her head filled with all sorts of possibilities and half formed plans for her own Organic Education classroom, Rogue found her escort home waiting for her at the fence post of the school’s property.

“You looked to have been quite involved with your discussion with Ms. Winters,” he began.

Smiling brilliantly, causing her companion to feel a similar warmth that she herself had earlier, Rogue was exploding with want to discuss all that she’d discovered and absorbed in the last hour. “Oh, Edward!” she began, “I really think I’ve found my calling! Ms. Winters said she’d noticed my way with the students, and was looking to speak to me just as much as I wanted to speak with her.”

The pre-planned discussion of the newly borne colts now long forgotten, the two young people fell into step and continued their discussion of plans for after graduation. Although his words were supportive and positive, Rogue had the distinct impression that her friend wasn’t completely thrilled with her newfound life strategy.

“Edward, what is it, really? You say your happy for me and you’ve given me more good ideas on how to go about obtaining my own classroom, but I can tell your heart isn’t in what you’re saying.”

Not able to meet her eyes, the young man spoke, “Marie, I’ve asked you many times, I’m only ‘Edward’ to Ms. Winters; she’s such a stickler for propriety, please, PLEASE, call me Logan! And yes, as usual, you’ve seen through my façade. But you should know after all these years that your happiness is all I care for. I’d never refuse you anything. If it is your desire to become a teacher for the Organic Education Movement then I will give you all my support. But since you’ve ferreted out my ruse, I must confess it saddens me that such a beautiful young woman like yourself would restrict herself to such a lonely life as that of a school teacher.”

Rogue knitted her brow in confusion, “Logan, whatever are you talking about? ‘Restrict myself to such a lonely life’, what do you mean by that?”

Logan stopped now, and did look at Rogue, something in his eyes put another jot on the déjà vu list in her head. There was the usual intensity that something told her was not unusual; but there was something else. Something that made her heart flutter for no reason she could discern. She was startled when he dropped their straps of books and took her hands in his.

“Marie, can you honestly tell me that you haven’t taken into consideration the ‘Rules for Teachers’ plaque that hangs directly above Ms. Winters’ desk? Ms. Johnson’s school may be progressive, but it still must obey the board under which it operates. I simply cannot see a bright spark like you being able to cow-tow to such restrictions.”

Still confused, Rogue hoped that the look on her face would coherently convey her wish for him to continue. She breathed a mental sigh of relief when he did.

“’A proper teacher will not keep company with men, A proper teacher may not loiter in the downtown ice cream parlors, A proper teacher must arrive by 7 AM so the fire is properly prepared for lessons to begin at 8, A proper teacher may not travel beyond the town or city limits without first obtaining the permission of the Chairman of the School Board.’ The same reasons that the School of Organic Education is so attractive to you are the same reasons I cannot see you tolerating such restraining directives.”

He took a breath, glanced at their clasped hands for a moment and met her eyes once again.

“Marie, we’ve known each other all our lives. Our grandparents lived next door to each other just as our parents do now. No one would ever force us to do anything we didn’t want to do, we wouldn’t attend the school we do if our parents subscribed to such barbaric notions. But I think everyone, including myself, has been hoping that something beyond friendship might develop between us. If you were to seek this teaching position, we would not be able to explore ‘what could be’, and you would most likely find your appointment as a teacher far away from here, and that would make me very sad indeed.”

Rogue was dumbstruck. She’d never thought that her friendship with Logan could ever be anything more than what it was. Now he was confessing to wanting it to be much more than it was. The niggling feeling at the back of her mind was noticeably buzzing at her. She didn’t know it, but it was that unconscious-conscious place where all the moments of déjà vu had been piling up. Something about the thought of her friendship with Logan changing had started a cascade effect and she once again felt herself falling.

The School of Organic Education is a real entity, founded by Marietta Johnson, in Fairhope, Alabama in 1907. For more information go to their website http://www.fairhopeorganicschool.com/
The Rules for Teachers is also no joke…..check out the ridiculousness…… http://www.wier.ca/~%20daniel_schugurensky/assignment1/1915rules.html.