Night was warm around him. Predator in him spurred him on. He would find her, he was sure of it.

Up until now he had seen Marie as something to protect. A small and fragile creature, capable of power if needed to, but mainly for him to protect. Now he saw completely new side of her. A prey, scared out of her wits, making him run in circles out of confusion and hesitation. First he was pushing through bushes, nosing out her scent, next thing he realized he was backing away, nausea churning inside of him, hating the way he was acting.

Trail was warm; she couldn’t be too far ahead. In fact, if he strained his hearing a bit… Telltale rustling of dry leaves. Near by. So close that all he had to do was to reach out and…
“Fuck!” Very confused and angry squirrel sunk its teeth to his palm. He resisted the urge to squish the critter and placed it on the ground. Squirrel took off. He sat down and rubbed his face tiredly. It was a warm trail, but it was apparent that he wasn’t going to find Marie. Not if she didn’t want to be found. He could hear rustling again. It was either Marie, or that squirrel, planning to take its revenge. Which ever it was, he was too tired to care.
He huffed and picked a dry twig from the ground between his legs and started snapping it to small bits and pieces.
“I’m sick of this. You can go and grab anything you need from the cabin. I’ll wait here. I’ll give you an hour. I won’t come after you.”

He gave her two hours. Two hours wandering around. It had been fun while it lasted. He had known eventually something would drive them apart, but he had pushed that thought out of his mind. Closed his eyes and enjoyed every moment he could spend with her. He had been hurt. She had been hurt. But it had been worth it. Every drop of blood he had shed was worth every second he had spent with her.

Cabin was undisturbed when he returned. Front door hung open, exactly as he had left it. He couldn’t bring himself to go in. Not yet. Instead he walked to the well. Threw a bucket in and waited until it was full. Lifted it up and drank. Water was good. Cold but good. He could hear all kinds of animals scurrying around, minding their own business in the dark. He could stay here over the winter. Hunt. Sleep. Get over her. He knew sooner or later his feet would start itching. With nothing to hold him in place he would start roaming again. Which wasn’t necessary a bad thing. As much as he detested human company, without it he would get lost. He had worked too hard to restore his humanity to toss it away just because he was hurting.

His boots fell heavy to the porch. He clunked off sand and small stones gathered to their soles before stepping in. Tilted his head. Marie was there. Sitting on the bed. Upon seeing him she cringed and pulled her legs against her chest, but she didn’t flee. He turned and closed the door. After careful consideration he bolted it. She could get out if she wanted, but she would have to make a conscious effort to do that.

She still had her doubts, but she was tired. Tired, cold and hungry. If she would have to endure Camo’s advances and eventual copulations with him, fine. As long as he kept her fed and safe. When the man entered and closed the door she suppressed the sudden pang of fear. Who ever he was, it had become quite clear he didn’t appreciate horrified partner.

“You find food from the cupboard, clothes from the backpack. I’m going to bed.” He started shedding his clothes, pondering weather to take off everything. He could scare her. Well, fuck her. She would learn eventually. He stripped off his jeans and climbed to the bed, scooting behind her. He could feel her tensing.
“Good night, Marie,” he muttered, closing his eyes.

He woke up little later when bed dipped. Marie. She had hopped off and was walking towards the fireplace.
“Where are you going?” He asked. She stopped and stood frozen on the middle of the room.
“Kid? Come here.” She turned and walked to him with stiff legs, reluctance evident on her face. He held up the quilt and patted vacant spot beside him.
“Hop in.” she did as he told her to do, settling next to him on her back, hands clutched rigidly over her stomach, trembling from tension.
“I’m not going to hurt you. Just relax…”

Relax? If she could make herself believe this was Logan, maybe she could let go and melt to his embrace, but right now she was expecting Camo to jump on her and pound her in to mattress.
“I’m going to hold you now. Because goddamned… It’s… I don’t fucking know what to do anymore! Don’t freak out on me, okay?” He was talking and sliding his hand over her, turning her back against his torso, molding her against his muscular frame.
“Here. Isn’t this better than being alone?”

Her heart was pounding against her ribcage so hard he was afraid it would shatter the bones surrounding it. At least she had stopped shivering.
“He’s gone, and no matter who else comes after you, they will be dealt with, too. Go to sleep. You’re safe with me.” There was no fear in her scent anymore, but he started missing it as soon as stench of desperation and defeat hit his nostrils.
“I give up,” he heard her whisper.
“You don’t have to hold me. I won’t run away. I promise.”
“But I want to hold you. I missed you. Still miss you…” He whispered, wrapping his hands even tighter around her and burying his face to the side of her throat, nuzzling her pulse point lightly with his nose. Her skin was warming up.
“What will it take to make you see the truth? Camo is gone. You’re with me. You have nothing to be afraid of,” he said when she cringed from his touch and fear in her scent spiked up again.
“I don’t know…”
“Well, let me know when you figure it out…” He closed his eyes and breathed in her scent, trying to find something familiar underneath confusing and rather rankling mess it had turned.