Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks Dot, Meg, Jen, and Pete'n'Melissa. This is a response to Khaki's first line challenge. It just showed up, thereby showing the first crack in my writer's block.
He should have seen it coming.

He should have been able to add the clues up, but he was blind. Willfully so, if he was honest with himself.

Looking back, he could even pinpoint when things changed -- he still had the letter from her, the one that first mentioned Remy's arrival and his initial interest in her.

But he was away, and the search for his past was almost all-consuming.

The next clue -- about a year after Remy's first appearance -- she stopped whispering, "I love you" into the phone after saying goodbye. She had to know he could hear it, even if he never gave any indication, always hanging up before saying it back. She was too young, and he was staying away, giving her a chance to grow up, experience life, before he came back and claimed her.

Remy's name grew more and more prominent in her letters, but he chose to ignore the implications. He thought it was good that she had someone interested in her, someone who didn't mind her skin. He didn't want her to feel isolated from the others at the school while he was away, though some part of him had hoped she'd missed and needed him as much as he had her.

Time moved on, as it always does, as he chased one dead end after another in search of his past. Her letters grew less and less frequent, and now, she was just as often out when he called as she was waiting for his call.

The night she hung up first, without waiting for him, was the night he knew he had to get back before he lost her completely.

He'd still believed, at that point, that he had a chance, that she was his and he hadn't waited too long.

He came back to find her more beautiful than he'd ever imagined, and wearing Remy's ring on her left hand.

He should have seen it coming, but he hadn't.

And now he stared at her in shock, unable to process the question she'd asked.

"Logan? Did you hear me? I asked if you'd give me away at the wedding."

He nodded absently, his mind reeling as his heart dropped to his toes.

Rogue flung herself into his arms and squeezed him. "Thanks so much, Logan! I told Remy you'd never let me down."

She ran off to tell her fiance the good news, leaving Logan standing shell-shocked in the kitchen.

End