With the beautiful bouquet she’d gotten that morning in hand, Rogue slipped out of her suite and into the hallway. Turning she almost bumped into the rather muscular chest of the figure that was standing in the hall.

Glancing up into the familiar glasses of Mr. M, Rogue flushed slightly, “Good morning.”

*The same to you,* he replied with a warm grin, *Can I get that for you?* he pointed at the bag at her feet.

“Uh, no, thank you,” Rogue shook her head quickly. “I’ll be fine with it.”

With a patient nod, he fell into step with the young woman who kept sniffing at the flowers and hid a grin. She deserved flowers, deserved silk, diamonds, but he knew deep down that she’d be more grateful for the battered old hunk of metal that had once adorned her throat.

Glancing at her out of the corner of his eye he sighed, obviously she felt a little uncomfortable with him and he wondered what had happened. Suddenly impatient to be back on the boat he cursed the routine even as they climbed into the hotel supplied limo and headed for the docks.



Stepping into his room he closed the door quietly, firmly and moved to sit on his bed. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out the small, silver item that had been stashed there and flicked it open.

Punching in the numbers, he leaned back against the pillows and stared out at the clear blue of the Mediterranean skies. Counting the rings impatiently, he growled as the distinct click of the line being picked up filled his ears.

”Hello..”

“Did you get it?” he growled into the phone and waited impatiently for a response.

“Get it?” the soft query drew a frown, “Uh, what exactly is ‘it’?”

“A rather large parcel should have arrived from St. Thomas a few days ago.”

“Oh yeah, that. It arrived via courier and I put it upstairs. Why, you want me to forward it somewhere?”

“No, just keep it safe. She phone?”

“Not in a few days. That I know of anyway. Hey how do you know..”

“Just shut up and listen, pipsqueak,” he snarled. “There are more coming, and I want them put aside for her. Guard them with your miserable little life or I’ll make sure you meet the same fate as those parcels.”

The soft gasp and swallow from the other end of the phone drew a grin as he hung up unceremoniously. They were still blissfully in the dark and he had time to get a little further in his seduction of one southern lady.

Propping his feet on the end of the bed he withdrew a cigar and lit it, inhaling the rich taste easily, quickly even as he glanced out the window. Another couple of days and they’d be reaching port again and he wanted to get closer to her, close enough to make her see that she wasn’t some monster even though she thought it.

With a sigh he shook his head, he knew what the point of this cruise was, the reason she’d left the mansion behind and it had bothered him immensely until he’d realized that it would work in his favor. He could do this; he could make her see what she was to him even if it killed him.

“Damn it why couldn’t she have gone skiing or something?” The cold of the Canadian winter would have suited him but he knew she needed to be as far from it as she could get. This was her way of saying she was trying to gain her life back, trying to find her identity apart from him.

Wishing for a good beer and a cage to fight in, he slid off the bed and stalked to the balcony doors. Staring out of them, he wished the ship was a little closer to port. Smirking to himself he decided to play it as though they were as close as two people could be.



Pacing as she waited impatiently for her dinner to arrive, Rogue sighed. She wanted to talk to Logan, wanted to tell him the truth but knew beyond a doubt he wouldn’t believe her. After all how could she tell him that she had come on this trip to forget him but it wasn’t working.

Cursing at her own stupidity she whirled to face the door at the soft knock before scurrying over to open it, “Thank you, I just..” her voice trailed off as she stared at the one person she was attempting to avoid. “Uh, good evening, Mr. M.”

*You not feeling well?* he signed, *Wanting to eat alone is not good if you’re not well. You should have company.*

Brushing past Rogue who stood gaping at him, he set the tray he carried down on the small deck table and took the covers off to reveal two plates, “You, uh, brought me dinner?”

*But of course,* he smiled at her, a brief hint of white teeth in the semi-darkness. *After all we did have plans for this evening.*

“We did?” she frowned, a knot forming in her stomach. “I, uh, forgot..”

*That’s okay,* he replied seriously holding the chair for her. *I really didn’t want to sit through another evening meal with Cherie.*

Smiling at the derision in his tone, Rogue shrugged, “She seemed to be in a bit of a snit today.”

*I heard the Captain say her husband will be joining us when we reach the next port. Something about he wants to finish the cruise with her.*

“Uh, I’m not sure that’s a wise decision,” Rogue sighed as she settled at the table. “If he’s half as annoying and disgusting as she is then we’re in for a rough trip.”

*Well you are at least. I’m leaving you in Greece, remember?*

Rogue nodded and sighed, she wished he would growl or something that would remind her of Logan but knew it was beyond the man. He couldn’t be Logan anymore than she could ignore the niggling attraction she felt to him.

Eating quickly, hoping that she could get rid of him before she did something completely stupid, Rogue nodded at the soft look on his face when he pointed to her plate. “I guess I was hungrier than I thought,” she said by way of explanation of her now empty plate.

The soft smile on his face, and the warm look in his eyes had her shifting uneasily. Taking the glass of wine he offered, she took a small sip and turned her attention to the growing darkness surrounding them.

There had been many nights when she’d watched the stars and waited impatiently for Logan, but this was different. Tonight she couldn’t focus on him; tonight she had to act like a gracious lady, like a hostess and she longed for the simplicity of her life back at the mansion.

*You seem a little sad. Still missing your friend?*

Rogue shrugged and played with the column of her wineglass. “I guess. Yeah, yeah, I do miss him. I miss the growly way he had of talking to me, the safe, warm feeling I had whenever he hugged me. Mostly though I miss the way he was never scared to touch me, talk to me… Sorry,” she flushed at the expectant look on her guest’s face. “I didn’t mean to get all Oprah on you.”

*Not at all. He seems like a very dear friend.*

“He is,” Rogue sighed softly, painfully as she drained her glass. “I just wish he was more. I want him to love me the way Scott loves Jean, all encompassing, totally, body, soul, heart, and mind. I know he doesn’t though. I know he won’t ever love me like that but still… I can’t help wanting that, wanting to be loved.”

*You never know. From what you’ve told me of this man, perhaps you’re better off without him. He is after all a wild, reckless sort, without compunction about killing.*

Rogue shrugged angrily and rose, “But that’s not who he is. It’s just who he was made into. Logan isn’t a bad person, he’s just dealing with so much shit that…”

*You’re defending him leads me to think that perhaps there’s something more than just what you see.*

“What do you mean?”

*Would he defend you? Would he risk alienating everyone around him to be with you? To help you?*

“Yes,” Rogue nodded quickly, “He’s killed himself twice for me. He’s been willing to give me his life, his gifts, his powers, his very mind.. I just want the rest of him.”

With a quick nod of understanding Mr. M rose and moved over to where she stood against the railing, reaching up he cupped her cheek in his hand and smiled down at her. *There comes a time though when you must put yourself first, Rogue. You have to consider that he may never be able to give you what you so desperately seek. Can you deal with that?*

Swallowing, Rogue felt her eyes burn and blinked. Pushing away from Mr. M she put a few inches between them, “He wouldn’t do that. Logan is the best thing in my life…”

*Logan isn’t here,* he pointed out quickly and moved to pull her a little closer to him. Tucking her under his shoulder, he sighed and squeezed her gently, *You once told me that love is a fairytale. I don’t know. I’m not an expert on fairytales, but I do know this – in the real world there are no happily everafters. You have to work at it.*

Rogue shrugged away from him, “But you don’t know Logan, I do. I understand him and you’re just making a judgment based on what? Your own personal prejudices? Why can’t…” sobbing, she raked a hand through her hair as she struggled with her own emotions. “Please just go. I don’t want to talk about this any longer. I don’t have to defend my choices, not to you, not to anyone.”

With a quick nod and a gentle squeeze of her arm, he left the room, closing the door quietly. Had Rogue glanced up she would have seen the small smirk that crossed his face and the familiar expression on his face that was exactly what she was missing, but she didn’t and he disappeared beyond the closed door.


Pausing in the hallway he listened to the soft sobs from within the room and shook his head. He hadn’t meant to hurt her with his words but he needed to know if she still cared enough to want him. With a soft sigh he realized he had his answer even if it was the one he wasn’t too sure was good for either of them.




The slow pitch and roll of the waves drew Rogue to the upper deck and she sighed as she watched the small, high powered speed boat approaching them. Movement in her peripheral vision had her tensing even as she felt the familiar warmth of Mr. M settling around her waist. Stepping aside a bit, she put another couple of inches between them even as she glanced at him with a raised eyebrow before turning her attention to the addition to the cruise.

Watching in silence as the boat pulled up alongside them and a tall, stately looking man stood up, Rogue shifted uneasily. Blonde hair cut in the latest fashion, clothes that were tailored, and obviously expensive jewelry adorned the man’s wrists and hands.

His appearance didn’t bother her so much as the cold, assessing look in his eyes as he scanned the boat above him. She swallowed and moved a little closer to Mr. M when his eyes settled on her and she knew instantly what it felt like to be prey.

“Creep,” she muttered under her breath even as she felt a slight chuckle shake Mr. M’s body. Glancing at him she flushed, “Sorry, I didn’t realize I said that out loud.”

*No problem, Rogue,* he replied with a warm smile. *Cherie doesn’t seem happy to see him.*

Turning her head she glanced at the curvy blonde who looked furious and icy cold, a unique combination when one thought of it. Once the man was on board the pair hardly said a word to each other, instead the man immediately turned to the Captain and began steering him away from the group, pausing only long enough to meet Rogue’s gaze and smile charmingly.

Shuddering in revulsion, Rogue crossed her arms over her chest, “He’s not my type.”

*You noticed that, did you?* Mr. M smirked at her.

“Do I have ‘hit on me’ written on my forehead?” she muttered rubbing at her forehead even as a slight flush climbed her cheeks as she glanced at him. The damn butterflies were back, fluttering even worse now than before because she knew that he wasn’t scared of her.

He shook his head and squeezed her hand before stepping back, *I’d best get back to my work. See you for dinner?*

With a sigh Rogue stared at him, “I don’t know if that’s such a good idea. I’m not interested in…”

*Friends can have dinner,* he replied seriously. *Logan’s a very lucky man.*

Rogue smiled softly, secretively, “I’m the lucky one.”

With a smile Mr. M nodded even as he dropped a quick kiss on her mouth and turned and headed for his cabin. Pausing on the steps in the shadows, he turned and watched as she settled back at the lounge table. Her face carried a jumbled mix of emotions, least of which was regret even as she reached for her coffee. He could see from the way she sat that she was feeling bad about what had happened, about her breakdown and her interaction with him. He could also see the slight swipe of her tongue over her full lips tasting him, tasting his kiss.

Turning, he headed to see the Captain, he needed to have a little privacy tonight and he wanted a chance to woo Rogue under the moonlight. Perhaps the Captain wouldn’t mind loaning him the upper deck for a few hours. After all he needed Rogue to see herself as a desirable woman and he was running out of time, he wanted to her feel loved before they saw each other again in New York.



“You must be overjoyed to have your husband with you,” Mrs. Monroe declared smiling at Cherie who looked bored.

“Not really,” she replied waspishly before glancing at Rogue. “So what did you do while we were in port?”

“The usual,” Rogue shrugged pleasantly, “Played tourist, went shopping for my friends back home.”

“Ooh, what did you buy?” Cherie asked excited, “I do hope you bought them wine. Spanish wine is superb.”

“No,” Rogue giggled, “Actually I didn’t buy a drop of liquor. Most of my friends don’t drink, and they wouldn’t really be interested in that sort of thing. The only one who would enjoy that would be the Professor and he’s got a whole wine cellar full of fine wines and champagne.”

“Well then, what ‘did’ you buy?”

“Not a lot,” Rogue replied looking at her seriously. “A few odds and ends, trinkets more than anything. Got a couple of really beautiful shells for Kitty though, I didn’t know the beaches of Spain had such great seashells.”

“Shells?” Cherie visibly shuddered, “How white trash.”

“I like bein’ white trash lady,” Rogue snarled. “My best friend happens to be the definition of red-neck.”

“Oh, what’s he do?” Mr. Monroe asked, “I do hope he does something exciting like driving one of those big rigs, or perhaps a train…”

“Actually,” Rogue chuckled, “He’s a cage fighter.”

“Cage fighter? What’s that?” Mrs. Monroe asked leaning forward.

“Oh, you know, two men get in a wire mesh cage and beat each other senseless for money,” Rogue explained easily feeling an annoying tickle at the back of her neck as she realized she was being stared at.

“Oh my goodness,” Mrs. Monroe gasped. “I do hope it’s not as serious as it sounds.”

“He’s King of The Cage,” Rogue shrugged proudly, “He’s pretty good at it. How was your stay in Barcelona?” she asked hoping against hope that they’d allow the change in conversation. Talking about Logan made her feel guilty, like she was betraying him. Licking her lips she tasted the faint flavor of the man who’d kissed her and it sent tingles down her spine. Shifting she pushed aside the fledgling desire and focused on the older couple across from her.

“Wonderful. I do so love Spain; it’s a wonderful place to visit.”

“Oh, this isn’t your first time here?”

“Oh no, child,” Mrs. Monroe shook her head a warm smile on her face, “I’ve been here plenty of times and each time is like the first. You’ll have to come back someday with that man of yours.”

“Man?” Rogue asked softly, tensing slightly at the mention of a man in her life.

“Why yes. Everyone can see how close you and Mr. Mustelidae have become. It’s so refreshing to find love is still alive these days. So many of the young people are just living on lust instead of looking for love.”

Rogue nodded weakly and flushed as her stomach twisted a little tighter. She desperately wished she was anywhere but here and now. She couldn’t deal with the thought that people actually thought that she and Mr. M were in love. She loved Logan, always had, and even if Mr. M had some qualities she found attractive it didn’t mean anything. Just proximity, lust if you will, and she wouldn’t give into it. She would not betray her heart that way.

~Who are you trying to convince girl? Me? Or yourself?~ the annoying voice of her conscious echoed in the warm sunshine.

~Shut up. You don’t have a clue. ~ she snapped to herself and quickly changed the subject to the upcoming voyage to France, pushing any and all thoughts of the two men in her life aside… at least for now.