The soft smell of salt water drifted in through the open window as Rogue rolled over and sat up. Pushing the blankets off, she padded barefoot across the floor to the balcony, pushing through the shimmering sheers that hung as the only barrier to watch the rising sun.

Glancing once at her watch she sighed, another two hours and Mr. M would be on his way home to see his girl and she’d be alone again. Although she knew without a doubt that if she called him Logan would be here within hours she was resolved to finish what she started and go home to him a well rounded, strong, independent woman.

Smirking at her own foolishness, Rogue turned to head for the bathroom. She would shower, get dressed and head downstairs to say goodbye. When it was all said and done she and Mr. M were friends if nothing else. He would never really know it but he’d taught her something about herself, something that she had always doubted but now knew beyond a hesitation. Rogue was a woman comfortable within her own skin!

“So you’re flying back home, huh?” Rogue settled in next to the man sitting in the lobby.

*It’s time, I think.*

“I just wanted to say thank you,” Rogue started softly staring at her hands before glancing up to meet his eyes through his glasses, “If it hadn’t been for you, I wouldn’t have ever realized how strong I am. I always thought that nobody could ever compete for my heart, I thought Logan would be the only person I could ever love – but I didn’t really know it for sure. When I met you I didn’t realize that there were more than just my fears to face. I guess what I’m trying to say is…”

*You’re very welcome, Rogue,* he smiled softly, *You’re a woman any man would love, would want, and Logan is very lucky to have your heart. Have faith in him, Rogue, he loves you as much as you love him. I bet when you see each other again, he sweeps you into his arms and spends days worshipping you. I know that’s what I planning on doing when I get back to my girl. I’m going to spend days making love to her, with her – until all the old fears, the ghosts, have faded to nothing.*

Rogue smiled in understanding at what he was saying, “You’ve been a good friend. I do have to admit I am going to miss you on the last leg of this journey. You’ve been such a big part of it that it’s gonna be lonely without you.”

*Perhaps, but then, you’ve got someone to keep you company. Someone you gave your heart to a long time ago. You’ve got a hideaway within your very soul.*

“Excuse me, sir, but your limo is here,” the steward approached them and aimed a friendly smile at the pair. “Your luggage has already been taken care of.”

With a nod Mr. M slapped the arms of his chair and rose to his feet, turning to Rogue, *Have some fun for me, and don’t let anyone push you around. You’re a lot stronger than you give yourself credit for.*

“That I have my doubts about,” Rogue chuckled and hugged him, “Be safe, and tell your girl that she’s very lucky. That she’s got a real man who loves her.”

*I will,* with a soft smile and a tug on her hair, he turned and disappeared out into the warm, Greek sunlight.

“Safe journey,” Rogue whispered standing in the lobby until the long white car had disappeared. Turning, she headed for the stairs, ignoring the looks of those in the lobby.

Climbing the stairs slowly, she ground her teeth together as she spotted Cherie and her husband walking toward her. With an indifferent look, she moved up the stairs and smirked as they passed her before picking up her pace.

Locking her hotel room door Rogue moved over to where her cell phone sat and picked it up, she dialed the familiar number and wasn’t surprised to get Logan’s voice mail.

“Hey sugar, just wanted to touch base with you and tell you I’ll be back soon. I’ve just got a couple more things to figure out then I’ll come home to you. When I get there we need to talk…” pausing she bit her lip, “I love you Logan – I miss you.”

Hanging up she made short work of packing what few possessions she had with her and headed for the boat. She didn’t want to miss the departure, or the next leg of the journey.


********************


Listening to the softly accented words on his phone, Logan smiled as he tucked his glasses into his pocket and climbed the steps of the private jet. Glancing behind him, he nodded to himself. He had time – and he would make her home one she could claim.

“Afternoon, sir,” the flight attendant, a tall, stately red-head smiled charmingly at him, and he nodded quickly before taking his seat.

The minute the plane was safely off the ground and on its way back across the Atlantic, he flipped open his phone and dialed in a familiar number.

“Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters,” the feminine voice was slightly familiar but not overly so.

“Who’s this?”

“Kitty, who’s this?”

“Is Chuck handy?”

“Hi, Logan,” the soft hint of laughter in the girl’s voice had Logan shaking his head, “Professor Xavier’s in a meeting with Dr. McCoy and Dr. Grey. Can I take a message for him?”

“You know how long he’s gonna be?”

“Could be five minutes, could be all afternoon. I’m not too sure.”

“Just tell him I’m gonna be out of range for a while and I don’t want to be contacted at all.”

“What if it’s about Rogue?”

Logan ground his teeth together before shrugging, “If it concerns Rogue then call me, otherwise I’ve got some stuff to do.”

“What if Rogue calls us?” the tension and unease in the girl’s voice was clear.

“She’s got my number,” Logan admitted quickly, “And she knows she can call me no matter what.”

“Okay, I’ll tell him.”

Leaning back in his seat, Logan stared out the window at the fathomless blue of the sky and smiled. The crinkle of paper near his head had him glancing up to smile at the manila envelope that was clutched in a fine boned hand.

“Thanks,” he muttered, taking it carefully. Holding it, he stared at it for a few seconds before opening it cautiously and pulling out the thick wad of paper within it.

Sitting reading over the terms of the purchase, the agreement on the money, Logan chuckled to himself. The house wasn’t huge by any stretch of the imagination, just a simple three bedroom rancher style house on ten acres in Rocky Mountain House. Ten acres of rich, fertile prairie ground that with any luck would nourish their children and their crops for years to come, that was the plan, the hope.

Flipping through the pages, he smiled broadly at the last page, the one that bore a single signature even as he traced a finger over the long dried ink, “Soon, baby, real soon we’ll both finish our voyages. Soon, we’ll have what we both want.”

“Sir, there’s a call for you,” the stewardess said softly pointing to a small, pale phone hanging on the wall.

“Thanks,” Logan reached for it and watched the woman walk away dispassionately. “Logan here.”

“You’re a hard man to track down,” the distinct sound of class and money had Logan smirking.

“Didn’t want to be found. You got a reason to call?”

“Yes, Logan, I do,” Charles’s voice held barely contained patience, “Where are you? We could use your help with a mission.”

“Nowhere you can reach me,” Logan shot back. “It’s like I told the kid, I’ve got some stuff to do – I ain’t kickin’ anyone’s ass right now.”

“Logan, I understand your need for solitude but really…”

“It ain’t solitude,” Logan shot back quickly; “I have to finish this – it means more to me than anything ever has – up to and including my past. This is my life we’re talking about.”

The delicate pause had Logan growing restless, “Rogue’s in Greece,” Charles started, “Have you talked to her lately? Have you even thought of her?”

Logan smirked and glanced out the window, “Rogue’ll make it. She’ll be home in a few weeks…”

“That isn’t the point, Logan,” Charles was clearly exasperated, “You need to tell her the truth. She’s still very much attached to you, and until you release her, she’s always going to put herself out on a limb…”

“Rogue isn’t your concern, Chuck,” Logan ground out, “She’s never been your concern right from day one. Leave her out of this, you got a bone with me cause I ain’t gonna be your little lap dog for this one, fine…but don’t you even think of bringing her into it because I will make you regret it!”

“You’re not getting what I’m trying to tell you. If the Brotherhood…”

“That’s why you have your team,” Logan replied seriously, “You got plenty of muscle, Tin-man’s there, that walkin’ Smurf is there, what do you need me for?”

“Hank is not exactly suited to this, and Piotr is too young. We need someone who can go in, be ruthless and get the information we need.”

“I’m busy. I can’t help you this time, Chuck,” Logan raked a hand through his hair, “This isn’t something I can put off a day or two. This is the difference between life and death to me, I don’t do this, I have no future.”

Logan could clearly hear Charles’s breathing and wondered if the man really understood what he was trying to say. Cracking his neck he debated telling the old man anything only to tense at the soft clearing of a throat.

“I get it,” Charles’s voice held acceptance, “I’m sorry, Logan, I shouldn’t have tried to force you to do this. When you can get back, you’re welcome to it. Until then we’ll make do.”

“Look, Chuck, any other time I’d do it no questions asked, but not this time. This time is for me.”

“Do what you have to then come home, Logan, we all look forward to your return and I’m sure Rogue will be overjoyed to see you,” Charles stated calmly, accepting the limited information he’d been given and taking the out handed to him.

“I’ll see you in a few weeks,” Logan replied before hanging up and staring at the pages in his hands, “Right after I tie up all the loose ends and we can have what we need… what we want. The X-men aren’t that important to me compared to her, to this.”

With a soft sigh and a smile Logan pulled out a cigar and stuck it between his teeth to chew on as he lost himself in thoughts of what his and Rogue’s future held.