As the sun started to rise over the horizon, the two lovers were still awake and whispering quietly as the quite morning started.

“Logan I don’t want Ella to see me in my room, and if..” Marie paused and looked Logan square in the eye “If I should get worse, I don’t want her to see me at all.” Logan wiped the tear that was running down her cheek, while waiting for her to continue. “I don’t want my daughter to remember me as being sick. I want her to remember our first months together, where we played and bonded as mother and daughter. And Logan, can you promise me that you will look after her, like you looked after me.” Marie’s tears were let loose and though she was not all out sobbing the emotion she was expressing was very genuine and Logan‘s heart was being twisted into knots as he watched his lover talk of her illness and what could ultimately be her death.

“Marie, I promised you that I would take care of you, and that promise goes to your children too. It’s a never ending promise, remember.” Logan said with a small smile while gently kissing away a few of her tears. He was trying to stay strong, as Marie confide in him her deep fears of being sick. “I’ll try to keep Ella away from the hospital wing, but I have a feeling that is going to be easier said than done. And no matter what she’s stuck with me, just like you are, Darlin’.”

“I’m scarred Logan. More scarred than Liberty Island. It’s not just us anymore to worry about, I have Ella.” Marie said while laying her head back down on Logan’s shoulder and taking comfort in his warmth and stead heart beat.

“We have Ella.” Logan corrected her. He squeezed her gentle then lifted her chin up so she was looking him in the eye. “Marie we can get through this, even if it means rounding up some specialty doctors.” Logan gave Marie one final gentle kiss on the lips, to seal the promises he just made her. Marie laid her head back down, and with a small unsure smile on her face she slowly feel asleep knowing that with Logan at her side she could get through this.

“I love you Wolvie.” Marie said as she drifted off to Never-land.

“I love you, baby.” Logan said with a gentle chuckle.

*************************
Going down to the med-lab was harder than Marie thought it would be. She figured once Logan came home and agreed to watch Ella, all she would have to do is get well. She wasn’t counting on the fact that she didn’t want to leave the two people she loved the most. Logan was getting along with Ella, and Ella seemed to like Logan, and well she couldn’t have asked for a better connection between the two. They just clicked, like Ella and herself did when they first met. She wanted to be with them, experiencing Logan’s first days of being a dad. Marie finally came to the conclusion that it was not fair that she was sick now!!!! The sooner she got well the sooner she would be back with the man and daughter she loved so dearly.

But before she could get well, she needed to know what was ailing her. How could a strong healthy women, that had lingering effects of a healing mutation running through her, get sick? And then have two of the world’s greatest doctors dumbfounded on what was wrong with her? The biggest question was why her? She finally had control on her mutation, she had a good job, a family, a lover who takes care of her, and a new daughter, this was not her time to die.

The med lab was defiantly not going to be easy. She had to much time to think about what she was missing upstairs.

*****************************
Logan thought this was easy. Take the kid to the kitchens to get food, outside to play with the other kids from the mansion. Then she passes out on the couch, while watching what she claimed to be her favorite movie, Cinderella. And this was only the first six hours. There would be nothing to it. He could handle having kids if this was all there was to it. He watched over her like a mother hen throughout the day. He wanted to start picking up on her habits, senses, smells, facial expressions, and stances. The wolverine in him, demand this. If he didn’t know everything about her, how was he suppose to provide and protect her. He did the same thing with Marie, but with her it was more natural, he picked up on everything with her as if she was his mate before they even started dating. Ella was different, but she seemed familiar to him too. He brushed it off as the kid spending so much time with Marie and picking up on her habits.

Ella would twirl her hair like Marie, when she was at peace and just staring off out the window. She would smile at him when ever she saw him watching her. She even climbed right onto his lap and gave him a puppy dog look to ask if she could watch a movie. Ella had a natural shine to her, as if a sunbeam was constantly shinning over her. Logan smiled as continued planning the following day, which would be there first school day together.

Ella had been asleep for an hour and it was getting to be five-thirty, Logan thought that it would be a good time to wake her up. Knowing how he doesn’t like to be woken up, he approached the situation carefully. He squatted down next to the couch and gentle touched Ella’s shoulder. It felt warm even through her shirt, but has he gentle touched her forehead her temperatures went down. ‘Weird’ Logan thought to himself, but ignored it. “Ella, baby, it’s time to get up.”

“I’m up, Wolvie.” Ella said as she peeked threw her eyelashes to look at him. “What are we going to do next.”

Logan smiled at her. “I was thinking of food. How do hot dogs sound?”

Ella jumped up and nearly knocked Logan over as she started to scrabble to get ready. “I love Hotdogs, they’re my favorite supper food.”

“Ok let’s go make sure that Chuck has some in the fridge.” Logan said while lightly shaking Ella’s hair as she yawned.

“Who’s Chuck?” Ella asked between her yawn and stretch.

“Oh the, um…Professor. Now you don’t go call him Chuck, because he won’t like it. You treat him with respect and call him Professor.”

“We all call him Grandpa Charles, but I like Grandpa Chuck better. Maybe I should ask him if he minds if I call him that. And there are always hot dogs in the fridge. Mommy says that it is a must have.” Ella said while dragging Logan towards the door.

“Okay kid, slow down, there’s no rush to get to supper.” Ella kept dragging Logan, who was a bit shocked at her strength and ability in pulling him. “Ella calm down, if they run out of hot dogs we can go get some, I promise.” Ella didn’t stop pulling him, and Logan finally lifted her up into his arms. She started squirming and wanting to be released from him his hold.

“Wolverine, why’d you pick me up? We need to hurry or we will miss the show. WOLVIE go faster.” Ella said from her place in Logan’s arms.

Logan gave her a look that was a cross of behave before I beat you and what are you talking about. “What show?”

“It’s Sunday!” Ella said has if that explained everything. Logan continued to stare or rather glare at her. Ella sighed and relaxed in his arms. “On Sunday nights the older kids act out a show. It’s funny. And some times the teachers will be the show and that’s even more funny. Mommy always likes it. Even when she is really tired she goes. Will she be there tonight Wolvie?”

Logan looked away from the small girl in his arms that was so excited and hoping to see the only mother she knew. He hated the fact that he would have to disappoint her by telling her that her mother wouldn’t be at the show or anywhere else she usually would be at in the mansion. Ella must not really understand what was going on with Marie, Logan thought to himself.

“No Ella, Mommy is not going to be there.”

“But she never misses, she says that the shows are better than, TV, movies, and books.” Ella said with a whine.

“Ella, baby, mommy is sick, and Dr. Hank and Dr. Jean have to help her get better. That means that she has to stay down stairs in the hospital wing until she gets better.” Logan tried to explain the little girl in his arms.

“But I want to see her.”

“How about we make a deal.” Ella raised her one of her eyebrows and gave him a very questioning look. Logan would have laughed at her look if the subject that they were discussing wasn’t so serious.

“Maybe.” Ella said hesitantly.

“If everything goes as it should our first week taking care of each other, I will ask both the doctors and Marie if it would be ok for you to have a visit together.” Ella got really excited, but before she could say anything Logan put a finger up to her lips to silence her. “That means waking up on time, helping me get you off to class and practices, and doing all of your homework. Understand?” Ella nodded, but Logan didn’t take his finger down. “I’m not promising anything, but I will try my hardest, ok?” Logan moved his finger and allowed Ella to say whatever she was holding back.
“I promise to be the best little girl, and Wolvie everything will go fine just you wait and see.”

“I hope so, sunshine, I hope so for all of our sakes.” Logan said as they continued on down to the kitchen for their much anticipated supper