Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to Jaq for beta, and also to Jenn.
Logan raised his head, welcoming the feel of the hot spray on his face. He leant forwards, holding himself up with one hand as he let the water sluice down his back. It bothered him how easily he had fallen into old habits, and how easy it had been to torture Allerdyce. He had planned to rough him up, maybe try and scare the kid straight. Instead, he had found himself trying to break him. And that bothered him most of all.

His intentions had been relatively honourable, right up ‘til the point where the fire starter mentioned her name. Jeered at their complicated relationship. Logan knew he was jealous of the little shit, and what he may have had with Marie. His hands clenched into fists at the mere thought of it, his knuckles itching as his claws sought release.

The look on her face when she’d asked about Pyro had made Logan sick to his stomach. It brought up a whole lot of questions he really didn’t want floating around in his head, not now. It also made him feel that much more guilty about the damage he’d done to the fire starter. He grabbed the soap, running it over his chest.

As he washed the red stains from his skin, his thoughts strayed back to what he’d said about Marie. It was easily justified back in the cell — after all, he was trying to test Allerdyce’s weak spot. But now that he had time to really think about it, he wasn’t enjoying the fact that a big part of him was wishing he was fucking her. Wishing it hadn’t been lies.

The words that had come out of his mouth had been designed to provoke, but when Logan shut his eyes, all he could see were her cupid’s bow lips around his dick. He could smell her scent; imagine what she would feel like, and how she would taste. His lower body began to stir, and he growled as he shut off the water.

He stepped from the shower, grabbing a towel and drying himself off as he walked back into his bedroom. What the hell was wrong with him? It had to be the stress of battle, surely. He could never — not with her. He closed his eyes, and saw images of himself slamming into her as her moans filled the room. His breathing became laboured, and every nerve in his body tingled at the thought of being inside her. This time there was no fighting the arousal the images brought, and in a way, he welcomed it. As Logan wrapped his hand around his stiff cock, he reasoned that maybe if he jerked off, he’d get the thoughts out of his system. If he just let go and embraced them for as long as it took to get himself off, then maybe he’d be able to get back to thinking of her as a friend. A responsibility. A burden even. Right now, he was the one with the burden.

His strokes became faster as he imagined her hands on his body, her lips on his skin. Her brown eyes were hooded as they looked at him, her mouth wide with delight as she began to tremble beneath him. Logan came with a grunt, spilling over his hand. He opened his eyes, frowning at the lack of relief. There was some self-loathing, but mostly, there was just frustration. He cleaned himself off with the towel, quickly pulling on a clean wifebeater and his jeans. He paced for a good ten minutes before wrenching open his door and striding down the corridor.

He paused at the sounds coming from one of the rooms. He cocked his head, an eyebrow arching as he recognised the sobs and groans of passion. A female voice gasped her lover’s name, and Logan frowned. They’d only just returned from Alcatraz and already that human ice tray was fucking Shadowcat. He sneered, half-tempted to storm in there and teach the little prick a lesson. It was only thoughts of how Marie must feel that stopped him. He glanced at the door, then toward the stairs. He ran a hand through his hair, turning around and heading towards the other end of the corridor.

Taking a deep breath, he knocked softly on her door. It felt like an eternity before she opened it. Her smile disappeared the moment she saw it was him.

“What do you want?”

He couldn’t blame her for being cold. A scream floated down the corridor, and Logan watched Marie’s face carefully. Her expression never changed, but he could smell the sadness coming off her.

“You never told me about —” his head jerked in the direction of the scream, “— that.”

She shrugged, folding her arms over her chest. “I didn’t really see how it was any of your business.”

Logan frowned. “Everything about you is my business. Can we just talk for a minute?”

Marie’s eyes narrowed as she looked at him. “I don’t know, you planning on insulting me again?”

Logan opened his mouth, about to start defending his decision to lie to Allerdyce when he abruptly shut it. She didn’t mean that, there was no way she could even know about what he’d said. He felt his stomach sink in realisation of what she was referring to — his dig about the battle, about her not being there. “I didn’t mean for it to come out like it did.”

She frowned. “Then how did you mean it to sound?”

“Marie —”

Voices came from down the corridor, and he turned to see Drake leaving that Pryde girl’s room. His nostrils flared at the odour of sex.

“You better come in.”

He looked back at Marie, surprised to see her standing aside to allow him in. He stepped past her, his eyes sweeping over her room. The truth was, in all the years he’d known her, he hadn’t actually set foot in it. He started to wonder why that was when she cleared her throat.

“I never told you, because it’s still painful. I didn’t need you thinking that I’d gone and taken the Cure for him, only to be rejected.”

Logan turned to look at her. Her arms were hugged tightly around her waist, and she was looking at the bed.

“You told me you weren’t taking it for some boy.”

She glanced at him briefly, before looking away again. “I didn’t.”

He stepped closer to her, his hand on her shoulder. “Then why would you think that I still believed you had?”

She shook her head as she moved out of his grip. “I don’t know. Just don’t worry about it. Let’s talk about something else.” She looked up at him. “How is he?”

Logan tilted his head. “Who?”

He didn’t like the way she started fidgeting, shifting her weight from foot to foot as she sucked in a breath. It was that, and the fear that started coming off her, that told him who she meant, even before she answered.

“John. Is he okay?”

Logan’s brow lowered, and he turned away. “Why do you care so much?”

A photo on her desk caught his attention, and he stepped closer. The simple frame held an image of her sandwiched between Drake and Allerdyce. She was smiling at the camera, as was Drake, but Allerdyce wasn’t looking at the camera — his eyes were on Marie, and Logan had to bite back the growl that threatened to come out. There was no mistaking the look on the kid’s face. While Allerdyce’s right hand was holding up his lighter, his left arm was slipped around Marie’s waist and she even appeared to be leaning into him. Drake was on her right side, apparently oblivious to what was going on. Logan wondered briefly whether he had ever seen the photo, and whether Drake knew that she had never really belonged to him.

Marie came up beside him, but his eyes stayed fixed on the photograph.

She followed his eye line. “We were friends.”

Logan raised an eyebrow, turning to regard her. “Seems like you were a lot more than friends.”

She looked away as her cheeks reddened, and Logan turned back to the photograph. He was interested to see that she was embarrassed, but not guilty. He had been so adamant in never entertaining thoughts of Marie as anything more than a friend — too young, too innocent for anything else — that he might have missed something. If she was old enough to cheat on her boyfriend, and old enough to take the Cure, and old enough to have that same boyfriend cheat on her and reject her, then maybe she was old enough for Logan to …

He closed his eyes, shaking his head at the thought.

“Logan, are you okay?”

His eyes snapped open, looking down at where her hand was on his arm — her very gloveless, very touchable hand. He looked up to find chocolate eyes full of concern, and suddenly couldn’t pretend anymore. He grabbed the hand on his arm, backing her up against the wall. Her eyes widened, and her scent was suddenly shot through with fear, but he ignored it. He still saw that fire starter’s arm around her in the photo, still saw the way his face had transformed with jealousy and rage as he threatened to kill Logan. He could almost see Marie’s mouth around his dick, still felt her trembling beneath him.

“You’re not his, Marie.”

Her brow knitted with confusion, and she opened her mouth to say something, but no words were allowed to leave her throat. Logan’s lips pressed against hers, and she tried to push him away. Logan’s free hand slid up her body, and Marie’s fingers dug into his shoulders as he cupped her breast through her shirt. His tongue skimmed her bottom lip, but when she didn’t open her mouth willingly, he pushed it past her lips. Logan nearly groaned at the taste of her as he swept his tongue over hers. He rubbed his erection against her stomach, a growl building up in his chest as he savoured the friction. His tongue continued exploring her depths, and he felt Marie begin to respond.

A little moan escaped her as he sucked on her tongue, her hands moving from his shoulders to his hair. The fear had begun to recede in her scent, her musk levels soaring as she began to enjoy what was happening. Logan kept her pinned with his body, releasing her mouth only to bite her neck. Her body went rigid, but he kept nipping and sucking at the flesh of her throat until he tasted blood. His hand fell from her chest, slipping between their two bodies. He pressed it against the juncture of her legs, another growl elicited by the heat radiating from her. His mouth stayed on her neck as his hand begun to rub her though her jeans. Marie’s head fell back, a moan coming from her lips.

“You’re mine.”

Marie lifted her head, meeting his gaze. Logan held it for a few seconds before stepping back. She looked at him, brows drawing together in confusion.

“Logan?”

He turned without a word, leaving her room. The moment he stepped into his bedroom, the self-loathing flooded him. His tongue dragged over his lips and he growled softly at her lingering taste. She had tasted so fucking good, and the way she felt... Logan’s cock strained against its denim confines and he briefly toyed with the idea of a cold shower. He dismissed it, knowing that only one thing would come close to bringing him any of sense of relief — hiding his lust deep within her silky folds. But that was why it could never happen. No matter what she had done with Drake, or Allerdyce or any other kid, she wasn't ready for him. Ready for his perversions. They would have to stay locked up with Pyro — he refused to allow them to taint her, the way he had tonight.

***

Logan’s head jerked up as he caught her scent. She was coming through the foyer with that perky Eurasian girl. He paused at the bottom of the stairs, watching as her hand kept arranging her hair to cover his mark.

“Marie!”

She looked up at the sound of his voice. Her hair shifted, and his gaze fell to the deep purple bruise on her pale throat. He looked at it for a few seconds, waiting until she had started shifting uncomfortably before lifting his gaze. He motioned for her to follow him as he turned and headed for the elevator.

He heard her footsteps as she jogged to catch up with him. He didn’t say anything to as he stepped into the elevator, merely raising an eyebrow in invitation. She hesitated, and then jumped in quickly as the doors began to close.

“Where are we going?”

Logan didn’t look at her, keeping his eyes front. “Down.”

Marie’s eyes stayed on him, but she didn’t ask any further questions. He felt her gaze travel down his body, smelt the spike in her scent as they came to rest on his belt buckle. He moved his hand, hooking his thumb over it and she quickly turned her head away, blushing.

Again, he didn’t wait to see if she’d follow, just stepped out of the elevator and strode down the sublevel corridor.

He pulled a keycard from his pocket. “You have five minutes.”

She watched him punch in a code, her brows drawn in confusion. “Five minutes for what?”

Logan gripped her arm as the metal door swung open, shoving her inside before pushing the button to close it again.

Marie turned, banging on the door. “Hey! What are you doing? Logan!”

She pressed her forehead against the metal, cursing under her breath.

“I’d offer you a chair, but I’m afraid the budget didn’t quite stretch to furniture.”

Marie turned, her eyes widening as she watched John Allerdyce struggle to stand up.

“What, no hug?”