Author's Chapter Notes:
Dedicated to one of my best friends, roomates, and protectors.
SacredMacha
notmysight at aol.com
? foof? both?
Category - AU
Disclaimer - I do not own any Marvel characters. For my Bubs.


How the hell did other men do this? How did they get out with their sanity intact? Big brown eyes following his every move. That same, sweetly pleading gaze every time he turned around. Followed by the little whimper, or nudge. How could he growl, or get angry, or just up and walk away? That sweetness of the dark gaze was like thick honey. So without ulterior motive, so innocent.

That liquid, dark gaze promised loyalty, love, devotion, years of companionship, understanding. All he could do was sigh, puff harder on his cigar and grab his car keys. Those eyes reflecting hope, eagerness to be taken along, to enjoy that moment of freedom outside the confines of the mansion. A jerk of his head, and heard feet following in his wake to hop into the car. Windows down to enjoy the breeze, the scents of the outdoors, the freedom and speed the car ride could afford them.

Never a complaint about his cigars other than the occasional sniff and sneeze, sending pale strands to hang in those dark, liquid eyes a moment before they were shaken free. Always more than content with burgers, fries, and the other delights of fast food joints, rather than the boring same old stuff they would have served at Xavier's.

Even when he left, depending on others to take care of things, he was always welcomed home with those excited dark eyes and kisses. Never without a warm weight in his lap when he sat long enough to watch hockey, or a movie. Stealing a little of his popcorn, or sniffing around his beer hopefully was tolerated, even amusing, though he knew it ruined his bad ass reputation to be such a softie.

Warm body cuddled up to his while he slept, chasing away the nightmares. Patiently waiting for him to wake every morning, that same dark gaze, filled with love, day after day. Always waiting for him to return from his journeys, always running to welcome him home with absolute loyalty.

Days turned to months, turned to years. Long walks in the woods, drives out to the country, fast food lunches and late night movie fests. Always that warm, loving presence that never left him.

Logan realized, one day, that things were different. Feet didn't race as surely as they once did to greet him, he could hear a rattle in breathing lungs. Those dark eyes were getting duller with age, no matter how many kisses he was given.

A few more years down the road, and when he returned home late one night, he heard those feet shuffling along. Panic seized his heart, even as arms wrapped around that warm, comforting body, running for the medlab, hearing the fluid blocking the air lungs needed.Eyes shutting tight at those pitiful cries, those dark eyes looking up at him with all that infinite love and understanding he'd come to expect. The coughing ensued, the death rattle grew louder.

"C'mon, you can do this..." Whispering, hand stroking over head. Those dark eyes never wavered from watching him, even as the light in them went out.

The Wolverine wept like a child, knees on tiled floor, head pressed against the side of the bed. Someone, quietly, tending to business, wrapping the now limp form in a favored old blanket.

A bottle of whiskey and a night were both drained away, before he could bear to go out to the edge of the woods. Just a marker, no time for a real headstone yet. He knelt among the damp, fresh turned earth, hand pressing against it.

"Sorry. I wish I had known sooner. Wish I could have done more." Feeling that uselessness well up inside him again, dampness in his eyes.

Short days later, a headstone was put up.

Bubba - the best pack member ever.
Loved always by Rogue and Wolverine
For giving them a great ten years and
Love and loyalty unconditional.