Chewing on her nail, Rogue eyed the clock with barely controlled fury. A simple mission that had gone very, very wrong had delayed the return of the senior team for two whole days.

According to the overheard conversation that she didn't even feel guilty for eavesdropping on - both Scott and Logan had been hurt, Logan more than Scott which made sense since it had been Scott calling.

But did Logan tell her when he call her? Nope! Just said things were taking a little longer than expected and hung up. So she was sitting in the common room surrounded by kids her own age at one in the afternoon waiting for them to get back so she could tear a strip off that inconsiderate prick a mile wide.

"Hey Chica," Jubilee called from the doorway. Rogue looked beyond pissed, she'd never seen the soft spoke young woman so infuriated -her dark eyes fairly crackled with anger and for the first time in a long, long time she sat chewing on her nail her hands bare.

Rogue shifted in her seat, glancing at her friend before refocusing on the clock. "What?"

"They're back.." Jubilee said her jaw slamming shut as Rogue got off the couch and stalked toward her. Jumping back to avoid being ran over, Jubilee whistled. "You get the feeling she's pissed at him?"

"Remy tink so," the accented words drew a grin from Jubilee.

"Ooh, come on we need popcorn."

"Popcorn?" Kitty asked glancing up from the television.

"Yeah, for the show. This is Logan and Rogue we're talking about! She's gonna chew him up and spit him out," Jubilee stated calmly with a grin, "And he's gonna let her do it to."

"Ooh you sure? This is Wolverine we're talkin' bout. He don't let nobody walk all over him," Bobby glanced at the young Eurasian uneasily.

"Oh yeah," Jubilee rubbed her hands together. When it came to Rogue, Logan was a big marshmallow - not that she would ever call him that to his face. Nope, she would just stick with watching, waiting, and having a good laugh at the way the big tough Canadian ran for the hills when Rogue was in a temper!


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Staggering slightly Logan followed Scott off the plane, his body was sore and his healing factor had been working over time to get the wounds he'd suffered under control. Despite healing him completely, he still needed a few hours sleep just to allow himself to catch up with his own body.

"There you are!" Rogue's furious tone had both men stopping dead in their tracks and glancing at each other with similar shocked expressions. "Took you long enough to get your ass back here."

"I think she means you," Scott whispered and limped toward the door, his pace quickening when he realized that Rogue was moving further into the room. Without even looking at her he made his escape, hiding a grin at the way Logan had come to a dead stop and stood as though waiting for the explosion or rather a deer caught in the headlights of a Mack truck.

"Hey kid," Logan's tone would have at any other time made Scott chuckle, but now he just wanted to get out of range before things blew up.

"Oh no you don't," Rogue snapped stalking up to Logan. "Don't you hey kid me. Why the fuck didn't you say you'd been hurt bad?"

"Kid.."

"Why? I'm not a child Logan, you could have told me.."

"I'm healed up now. Didn't want to worry you," Logan started uneasily, his gaze never leaving the young woman before him who stood glaring at him like he'd fucked up beyond repair.

"Yeah well I worry! Its part of the deal!" Rogue snapped crossing her arms over her chest angrily.

"How'd school go?" Logan asked stepping around her like he would a large, destructive bomb or a pile of dirty diapers because of the two he'd rather face the bomb.

"We are not discussing school Logan! We are discussing your need to get your ass kicked by some stupid mother fucker and not tell me about it!"

"Marie, I'm fine now. Just need a few hours sleep and I'll be good as new.."

"Does this face look like it cares that you need sleep!" Rogue snarled as Logan headed for the upper floors where his bedroom with its nice big, king sized bed waited.

"I don't know, I ain't looking at it right now!" Logan shot back and hurried down the hall.

"Well you better start looking at it!" Rogue shouted as the door slid shut. Hurrying to catch up she stepped in front of him and poked him in the chest, "You could have told me you got hurt you know? What am I chopped liver? You think just cause you heal you don't need to worry about things, but you are so very wrong.."

"Why don't you save this little lecture until I'll remember it?" Logan asked softly, his tone one of thinly veiled impatience.

"You will remember it now!" Rogue stomped a foot and Jean all but ran back down the corridor she'd been coming up. "Three fucking days Logan! Three, not one or two but THREE! I have been sitting here wondering, waiting for you to call so I know how things are going and then all of a sudden I find out that you've been hurt. It took you nearly a WHOLE day to heal this time!"

"But.."

"That's a long time for you! Oh wait, maybe the time frames off a little! Maybe you just decided you two needed to stop off at some bar and get drunk? Or was it laid? Did you and Scott nail some stripper this time? Or maybe you just needed to make a fuck stop and Scott went along with you. Am I even close?" Rogue snarled at him, poking a finger into his chest even as her eyes snapped with anger and residual fear.

With a patient sigh, Logan smiled at her, caught her hand in his and patted the back before he stepped around her and headed for the stairs. Every instinct within him told him to run but he forced himself to walk, no point in looking like a coward.

"Get back here Logan! I am not finished.."

"Quit worrying kid, its not in your job description," Logan called back as he hurried up the stairs.

"Fuck my job description! I gave myself a promotion!" Rogue shouted and started after him.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So ten bucks that Logan's begging for mercy before the nights over?" Jubilee asked as they sat listening to the sound of angry steps on the hardwood above their heads.

"You're on," Bobby said pulling out his wallet. "Another five says that something is gonna get busted."

"Ooh you like to make it interesting don't you," Jubilee said with a grin as she took the money and handed it to Peter. "Hold this for us."

"You're gonna get your asses kicked if they find out you're laying bets on `em," Peter said as the small group winced at the sound of something hitting the floor reached them.

"Yeah well it'll be worth it."

"Really?" Peter looked skeptical but shrugged and put the bills in his pocket as the sounds of something being thrown against the wall reached them.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Now Rogue," Logan ducked as she threw one of his dresser drawers at him. "I didn't want to make you worry. That's all.."

"Fuck that excuse Logan! I worry regardless. You could have merely said you'd been hurt, but were healing just fine but noooo. Instead you pull that macho bullshit with me and I'm left sitting around watching a clock and worrying myself into an early grave!"

"I'm sorry.."

"Oh not yet you aren't! How dare you assume.."

"I told you kid," Logan pointed out quickly, "It ain't your job to get all worried and shit. Just focus on school!"

"Fuck school, fuck this kid bull, fuck everything! I told you I got a promotion. Which means that I can worry `bout you if I want to," Rogue snarled grabbing for the lamp and hefting it. The Professor had learned after one of the usual arguments between Logan and her that it was best to put non-breakable lamps in Logan's room the venue chosen for their battles. "You know what I should do. I should just kick your ass, and then you'd figure out what's what!"

"Who gave you a promotion?" Logan ground out, his mind racing over the residents. He didn't want Rogue to worry `bout him, she had enough on her plate without that.

"I gave it to myself!"

"Really."

"Yeah, now quit changing the subject you pompous jerk! How dare you leave me hanging!"

"I did not leave you hanging," Logan pointed out before ducking as another lamp went sailing by his head. "Rogue don't you dare throw that. I swear I will put you across my knee and spank your ass."

"You and what army? My job promotion says you can't.." Rogue shrieked when he grabbed her and pulled her into his lap awkwardly on the bed. She squirmed and kicked as he got settled. "DON'T YOU DARE LOGAN! I swear I will break your bloody neck if you..OW!" she yelped as he smacked her ass hard.

A minute later, Logan pushed her off his lap into a graceless heap on the floor. "Downside to your promotion sweetheart."

"Ooh," Rogue rubbed her offended anatomy and glared at Logan. "That does it!" Rising she glared at him for a minute before punching him in the jaw as hard as she could. Ignoring the stinging in her fist she pummeled on him.

"Rogue, now calm down," Logan said trying to grab her hands and avoid the blows at the same time. "You're just a kid!"

"DON'T YOU `YOU'RE JUST A KID' ME," Rogue screamed. "I AM NOT A CHILD! I DON'T NEED YOU TO PAMPER ME LIKE SOME LITTLE KID! I keep telling you.."

"Rogue your job is to go to school. Not worry about a cage brawler like me," Logan snapped snagging her hands and holding them steady. "Now, if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go have a shower then I am going to bed."

"Fine!" Rogue glared at him until the bathroom door closed before she winced and rubbed her behind again. Glancing around she smirked, so he plans on going to bed does he? Ha, not in this life!

Grabbing the blankets she stalked to the bedroom window, opening it with a jerk and shoving them all out. A few moments later, her arms laden with clean, well pressed, folded bed sheets she smirked at the pile of laundry that lay on the ground, "Take that Logan!" she watched the sheets tumbled over themselves to land with a soft plop on the ground before dusting her hands off.

Turning she noted the shower was being turned off and made short work of grabbing his clothes. Tossing them out the window, she sat on the bare mattress and crossed her arms over her chest. He was going to owe her big time.

"What the fuck?" Logan stared at a pissed Rogue, regretting not telling her he'd been hurt. "Where are my clothes Rogue?"

"Outside," she pointed to the open window and smirked at him. "You wan'em you go get `em."

"I am not going to go traipsing through the mansion in my skin just because you decided that you needed to throw my clothes out the window!" Logan's voice rose steadily in volume as Rogue sat there studying her glove with a smirk on her face.

"Guess what its part of my job. You don't like it, tough. Next time tell me what's going on!"

Logan sucked in a breath as she rose smoothly and headed for the door. Swearing slightly as she closed the door with a flutter of her eyelashes he swore heartily.

"Damn fool woman. Figures she needs to worry `bout me," Logan muttered crossly as he turned to grab his uniform pants. Dragging them back on he rolled his eyes and headed for the door. "Why she wants to worry about me is beyond me. I mean its not like she's.." he froze when the door refused to open, wincing as the knob went icy cold.

"Ice prick you better run and hide. Cause I get my hands on you I'm gonna make you bleed icicles for a month!" Logan ground out as he jerked the door open and stepped into the hall. A quick inhale and Logan growled, letting the Wolverine have control over his movements as he headed down the hallway toward the girls' dorm, his sense of smell telling him exactly where Rogue had disappeared.

Stalking down the hallway he paused before a door and smirked, she was in or had been in if the strong smell of her scent was any indication. Trying the doorknob he stepped into the room and was instantly assaulted with the smell of sweat, and tears.

Frowning he moved through the semi darkness to where the closet door hung open partially and hunkered down at the soft sounds coming from within it.

"I'm sorry kid," Logan whispered pushing the door back and meeting her eyes. "I never want you to worry `bout me."

"I can't help it!" Rogue murmured softly, brushing at a tear and cursing the weakness it revealed. "You're my best friend in the whole world, if I lost you.."

With a sigh Logan nodded and opened his arms, letting her crawl into his lap and sitting there. "I guess I fucked up huh?"

"Not so bad that it can't be fixed," Rogue whispered. "I just..I want to be able to get up in the morning and know that at some point you're gonna be there to touch me, hold me, love me."

"Even if I am on a mission huh?" Logan smiled softly at her nod. "No matter what Marie, I'm always gonna come back to you. I wouldn't leave you."

Rogue nodded and looked up at him, "You promise?"

"Yeah, yeah I promise," Logan grinned at the familiar ritual they shared. "Now then you wanna tell me `bout this promotion?"

"We've known each other for five years Logan, I'm graduating university in a couple of months. I just got tired of being your friend when I want so much more," Rogue shifted uneasily. "I guess I should have thought about what it would mean to you."

"Just for the record, what's this new promotion entitling you to?" Logan asked softly, just listening to the soft sounds of her heart beating, and her breathing.

"I get to take care of you for a change," Rogue whispered knowing that perhaps she was crossing a line that shouldn't be crossed.

Logan nodded, "Well if that's the case there darlin' you'd better go get my clothes. Wouldn't want me to freeze to death now would you? I mean after you've taken the trouble to actually drive yourself insane with worry while I've been away!"

Rogue giggled and nodded crawling out of his lap and heading for her bedroom door. "There's a pair of your jogging pants in the dresser over there, and a t-shirt," she admitted glad that she hadn't blown everything with her admission.

Logan grinned at her and shook his head, he knew things were far from resolved. Rogue was temperamental, high strung and prone to worry -much the same way as he was and it made for an interesting friendship, but maybe just maybe there was room for more.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smirking Jubilee eyed Rogue who was literally skipping down the stairs, "So?"

"So what?" pausing on the last step she shrugged. "The matter is resolved for now."

Whistling a little tune, one she had no idea where she'd learned it from, Rogue headed outside to collect Logan's things. She had won this time, but this was just a major battle and not the war. But maybe she'd win that to if she played her cards right. Smirking at the thought of Logan following her around jumping through hoops for a few days, Rogue gathered the items and carried them inside to the laundry room.

She could definitely get used to this promotion! That was for damn sure.