“How were you planning to do it?” Marie asked. They were sitting in the kitchen. Logan had patched up the hole on the floor and they were drinking coffee.
“How? Just wait until this place is dry enough and burn it down. It’ll take couple of months to build a new one. You can live at the settlement until I get it finished.”
“But I don’t have enough money… You do realize you can’t make everything by yourself? There’s stuff you have to buy…”
“I have money. You don’t have to worry about it.” He had considerable amount of credits stashed away. Twenty years of living alone, fighting and using the traits he learned in the Army had paid well. Up until now there really had been no reason to spend it.
“I don’t want it. I don’t want to go back there, when I had nothing. I don’t want to be in debt for you.”
“It’s not a loan. I would say it’s an investment for my future. Shit… I didn’t want to talk about this…” Logan huffed and stood up, started pacing.
“You’re not immortal, Marie. Eventually you grow old and die. That’s… I can’t follow you there. I want to keep you here with me as long as I can…” Her hand paused in mid-air, steaming cup of coffee just inches from her lips.
“That means I have to take care of you. Make sure you stay healthy. I’m not going to loose you to some fucking fungus. Or anything else as trivial, for that matter. You’re the only thing I have left.”

“Marie!”
“Fuck you, Logan!” He slumped to the floor, leaning his back against the door. Tore off soaked, coffee-scented shirt and threw it away.
“Come on. I didn’t mean it like that.”
“I’m not talking to you!” He let his head fall against the wooden surface behind him and closed his eyes. It had been something that had been on his mind for quite some time now. She would grow old and die. There was no way around that fact. He had tucked it away, something to discuss with her later. Much, much later. It had come out too soon. And all wrong. She had thrown him with what had been left of her coffee and locked herself to her bedroom.

She obviously wasn’t comfortable with the subject. He wasn’t comfortable with the subject. But it was something inevitable. Cycle of life. Her growing old didn’t bother him a bit. Why the fuck should he care. It was the dying part that rankled him. Made him want to pop his claws and growl a threat. Right. Like it would make any difference.

“Open this door, Marie. I need to talk with you.”
“Fuck off! I’m not in the mood to talk with you.” He sighed and twisted the doorknob. It refused to budge. He leaned against the door. Once he had known a girl who could phase through walls. He would have given anything to trade his mutation with hers right now. Of course it wasn’t possible. She was dead. Had been dead for decades.
“We really need to talk.”
“So? Talk. But don’t expect me to listen!” Marie shouted.
“Fuck this,” he grunted and eyed the door, unsheathing his claws. They cut through the wood effortlessly, severing the locking mechanism.

She came in low, raining hard punches to his stomach and sides. Logan grunted, nearly toppling over but managed to grab her wrists and forced her backwards, against the wall.
“Either finish me off now, or let me take care of you…” He growled, face only inches from hers. Blue fire was swirling in her eyes.
“Here. I’ll make it easy for you…” He muttered, pinning her to the wall with his hip, pulling her both hands down to his chest, palms flat against his skin.
“What are you waiting for? Just do it.”
“Didn’t think so…” He snorted and let go of her hands. Sudden cold draining feeling made him fall to his knees in front of her, gasping for air. She followed, palms still flat against him.
“Is this what you want?” He could hear her hiss.
“Keep me… Or let me go…” He snarled through clenched teeth, trying to stop squirming. Marie took care of that problem, straddling him, still leaning on his chest. Her eyes were completely blue.
“Can’t let you go… But I need something from you…” She said, leaning closer and licking his lower lip.
“You in my head, Wolverine, had an interesting theory…”