Author's Chapter Notes:
Yeah, I have rage issues... this is how I take them out.
It was Wednesday morning and Marie was running late for work.

She had stayed up the entire night before trying to figure out what made Jamie ask about not having a father.

Granted, at four years old she knew more than most children did at six or seven, but it was still unsettling.

Marie didn’t know how she was going to explain things and if she should even explain them at all.

However, she did know that her answer from the previous night was not going to hold for much longer.

The alarm clock went off at 4 am and Marie; terribly angry that she had just fallen asleep, hit snooze.

She hit the button so hard that the clock itself malfunctioned and went out completely.

At 6 am Marie was still running around the house trying to get ready.

At 6:30 she gave Jamie a kiss, shouted a goodbye to Kara, who had her head stuck under the couch; looking for the ring she’d dropped, and dashed out the door.
---------------------------------------------------------
Betty’s Diner

Dominic, the chef and last surviving relative of Betty, stood flipping over pancakes and Canadian bacon at the grill.

He looked relieved when he saw Marie’s beat up station wagon stop in the parking lot. She was almost never late and he hoped she was okay.

“Hey, what happened?”

“Long story.”

Marie took a pad and pen off the counter and headed to wait the tables that one of the newer girls had gotten stuck taking care of until she got in.

“Hi, what can I-”

Marie was cut off by the deep hazel eyes that stared back at her with steel intensity. It was the man from the day before, the one with that odd familiarity about him.

A strange passing thought came to her then;

‘Heh, he has Jamie’s eyes…’

*gasp*

“Oh shit!”
---------------------------------------------------------
Betty’s Diner
Thirteen Cups of Coffee Later (collectively)

Marie, as Logan had learned to call her, figured it all out before he even got a word in edgewise… he didn’t know how, but she put it all together.

It was probably for the best though, because the burden of him telling her that he may have inadvertently fathered her child and not have her think he was mentally ill, might’ve killed him.

Logan told her that he was grown in a lab and had lived a life of about eight years.

She in turn told him how she was impregnated and more specifically about their daughter Jamie.

Both Marie and Logan tried to think of a way to incorporate each other into their respective lives (or in Logan’s case, lack there of).

Neither knew of an easy way to break the news to Jamie and of course it would have to be soon, what with her early inquiries about not having a father and Logan’s eagerness for a proper introduction to his progeny.
---------------------------------------------------------
Kara’s Place

“Mommy!”

“Hey, baby.”

“Today I watched Finding Nemo four times… in a row! And Aunt Kara made me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with no crust because she knows I don’t like that part.”

“Wow, sounds like you had a really busy day.”

“Yup.”

“… There’s someone I want you to meet.”

“Who.”

Logan walked into the living room as if going to his death… he was terrified that once he got to talk to Jamie she wouldn’t like him.

“Hi Jamie.”

“Hi… man from uncle Dominic’s diner.”

Marie whispered to Logan that Dominic was the chef and new owner before correcting Jamie.

“His name is Logan.”

“Oh… hi, Logan… how come you wanted me to meet him Mommy? I already did yesterday.”

There was no getting around it… how could Marie not know a man one day, then be introducing him to her daughter the next?

The only reasonable explanation was the truth, as far fetched as it seemed.

“Well baby, because… Logan’s… Logan’s your father.”