Jean watched the small yellow dashes that marked the middle of the street zoom by as she sat looking out the bus window.

Everyday she made the trip into the city to go to class.

She was suppose to attend the prep school near her house; the one that all the other snobby, rich suburban kids went to, but… it was just too perfect.

Perfect like every other little thing in Jean’s life.

Perfect mom, perfect dad, perfect house, car, dog and job; essentially, the perfect life… except it wasn’t.

She was so tired of being the girl everyone else looked up to, studied as the example and counted on not to let them down.

Well, she wasn’t perfect and it was time she let everyone know.
---------------------------------------------------------
“Go the fuck away!” screamed an angry Jean, except those words weren’t directed to anyone visible.

Everyone kept talking, but she didn’t have nearly enough ears to listen.

None of the voices cared about her problems, so giving a rat's ass about theirs was not high on her list.

She turned the music up louder, suddenly grateful for the homemade soundproofing in her room and took another swig of vodka.

The vodka she’d stolen from her father's liquor cabinet.
---------------------------------------------------------
“Something wrong?” asked Scott as he came up behind Jean in the kitchen.

She flinched slightly, uncharacteristically not expecting the contact.

“Um, nothing… just these tests I’ve been running.”

“I could be the good guy…” those words wouldn’t leave her alone, no matter what she did to try and forget.

Jean told tell herself over and over again that she loved Scott and that wasn’t so much a lie as it was the sentence before the impending ‘but’ that ruined lives.

Logan awoke a darker side of her, the dangerous side, but even *he* put her on a pedestal.

That stopped her most nights from entertaining the fantasies she prayed Scott would never find out about, although she was certain he always knew, at least on some basic level.
----------------------------------------------------------
Rogue had been clutching Logan for a long time before he noticed that she had stopped breathing.

She was holding it in, but he didn’t know why.

“Rogue?” he asked; pulling away to look at her.

She came to again only to answer “Nothin’…” and quickly crawled into her bed.

Logan flinched at the sudden loss of contact.

It was yet another lie, but who was he to call her on it?