“You could take a shower if you want, I’m gonna go and see if they have any place to eat around here.” said Logan as he opened the door to the motel room.

He made his way down the sidewalk to the check-in office all the while thinking about his- their situation.

Rogue stood under the hot spray of the shower wondering if she’d made the right decision.

Quickly pushing her doubts aside she assured herself that she had.

Jean chimed in to that tune as well.

~ You did what you thought was right. ~
----------------------------------------------------------
“There’s a diner about a mile up the road, and a bar if you’re interested… then again I don’t figure you wantin’ ta' leave that pretty young girl you came up here with.”

Logan ignored the last part of the clerk’s statement and headed to his truck.

The diner looked like every other small town eatery he’d ever been to; truckers, a waitress that looked too old to be there and a fat, sweaty cook yelling out pick-ups.

He took a seat on one of the counter stools and waited until the waitress came by.

“What can I get cha’ honey?” she asked pulling out a pen from behind her ear.

Logan realized then that he’d forgotten to ask Rogue/Jean… whoever, what she wanted. He quickly decided on the first thing he could think of.

“I’ll take a steak; the biggest one ya’ got, a cheese burger with everything and fries.”

The waitress scribbled down his order in short hand before calling it out to the cook, “Two cows; one stripped and the other with the works… don’t forget the chips.”
----------------------------------------------------------
Rogue sat on one of the beds in the motel room; legs crossed as she attacked her burger.

Logan watched her from his seat near the door as he grabbed another beer from the case he’d bought on the way back from the diner.

He knew Jean was in there somewhere; probably sitting back and letting Rogue have this time with him, even if he wasn’t all there at the moment.

She wiped the ketchup from her mouth and smiled at him; a real smile, like she had the day he’d given her his tags to hold onto.

Logan began to think of Jean again because as much as she was there, he was still looking at Rogue; and it wasn’t the same.

The smile disappeared from Rogue’s face within an instant and she quickly excused herself to the bathroom.

Rogue looked at her reflection in the mirror; she blinked and the image changed to Jean. “I’m so sorry.” she said; the guilt evident in her face.

“Are you?” asked Rogue with a bite in her tone, “Are you really sorry Jean?”

Rogue knew the truth; she knew that Jean was sorry, but it didn’t make her feel any better.

Logan wasn’t in love with her and she’d just have to face that.

~ He only wants you Jean. I didn’t think he’d mind so much, you know, me being around, but… he only wants you. ~

The sympathy was evident in Jean’s eyes as she stared back at Rogue. She couldn’t argue, couldn’t lie; it was the truth.

If only he could see past that.

~ I just thought… I thought he’d be happy and… that I’d be able to handle not being what he wanted, but… I don’t think I can. ~

~ Don’t do this Rogue. ~

“You okay in there?” asked Logan, getting up from his chair and walking across the room.

Jean’s reflection disappeared and Rogue wiped the tears from her eyes; trying to calm herself long enough to answer.

“I’m fine… I just- I don’t feel too good all of a sudden… it musta’ been the burger.”

Logan knew she was lying; he’d heard some dialogue, but the outside noises wouldn’t let him catch it all. He had no idea what had gotten Rogue so worked up in the first place.

He hadn’t counted on her absorbed telepathy.