Author's Chapter Notes:
Same old disclaimer. I don't own them, don't sue me.
Marie looked around the crowded barroom. She took note of the small group of men towards the back. They had a table all to themselves, and they were louder than the patrons around them. Their hair was close cropped and they had the tendency to walk with a swagger.


“Looks like a busy night for you, Darwin.” She indicated the table of Marines with a nod of her head. “Let’s hope it stays calm in here tonight.”


Darwin smiled at her and left to walk the floor.


If there was one thing Marie knew better than anyone (except maybe Darwin) it was how to sense trouble. A table of rowdy Marines in a Navy bar could go one of two ways. Nothing could happen. Or there would be a huge bar fight. She didn’t know the how’s and why’s of these things, but she had seen enough of them to know it was going to be a long night. Darwin usually stopped most brawls before they went to blows. She didn’t know if it was his size, or his quiet countenance that did it, but when he walked between potential aggressors, it was like a ceasefire.


She was halfway through her shift, and it was a packed house. The deejay was playing what Marie could only assume was popular country music. The customers were happy, if a bit rowdy, keeping not only her and Darwin busy, but Eddie and the new waitress, Gail, as well. She listened as she was announced as the bartender, she took a moment between pouring beers to smile for those crowded around the big oak bar.


The crowd began to chant “Fire ball! Fire ball!” in a steady rhythm and Marie laughed. The timing was right. It was time for the deejay to take a break, and it was on her to entertain the patrons. She watched as Darwin walked back towards her and reached for the bottle of 151 proof that was kept on a high shelf on the back wall.


“All eyes on the bar! Give her your love! It’s Magical Marie!” boomed over the speakers.


Getting on the military base was easier than Logan anticipated. A quick call to Storm and he had a contact name; with that and a visitor pass, he was on his way.


The bar was easy enough to find. Like with most things, you just had to know what to look for. In this instance, it was neon and loud music. He eased into a parking space and killed the engine.


There were too many unknowns here. What if she wasn’t working tonight? What if he was wrong and she didn’t work here at all? What the hell was he going to say when he saw her?


“You’re mine. We’re leaving.” Had a nice ring to it, but he didn’t think it would work. He scrubbed his face with his hands and sighed. He was stalling. Time to get this over with.


The bar looked about the same as any other bar he had ever been in. The music playing was country, which could be worse. There was a small dance floor crowded with people dancing in sync, and a large polished oak bar along the back wall. He settled at a table near the door and lit a cigar.


“What can I get ya?” a perky girl with a pixie haircut asked.


“What’s on tap?” He had to raise his voice to be heard over the music and din around them.


“Mostly domestics: Bud, MGD….” He missed the rest of what she said when a table of men near him started shouting as they slammed shot glasses on their table.


“Bud’s fine.” He handed her some bills and continued to watch the crowd.


The table nearest him was by far the rowdiest. He counted five men who were well on their way to being drunk, and spoiling for a fight. The waitress returned quickly with his beer and change, which he handed back to her. She also set an ashtray on his table, and with a smile she moved away to take more drink orders.


It was then that he noticed the bouncer. He was dressed in black jeans and polo shirt like the waitress was, but unlike the petite girl, he was enormous. Logan watched as he moved among the crowd. Calm traveled in this guy’s wake. Whenever he stopped at a table or looked at someone, quiet would prevail. Logan watched in fascination as he approached the rowdy table and stopped. He didn’t say anything; he just met each of the men’s eyes before moving on. The men quieted down and returned to their drinks, their shouting nothing more than a murmur amongst themselves. Logan narrowed his eyes in speculation. He knew mutant power when he saw it.


The bouncer walked past his table and looked him in the eyes. He nodded once before looking away and continuing his circuit around the room. Logan knew then he had been made as a mutant, just as he had recognized the bouncer as one. He should have felt uneasy, but he didn’t. Not yet. He was here for Marie; everything else was secondary.


He sipped his beer and looked around. He hadn’t seen Marie yet, but his gut told him she was here. The country music stopped and was replaced with:


“All eyes on the bar! Give her your love! It’s Magical Marie!”


Logan nearly choked on his drink. The crowd around him started to chant something. All eyes were on the bar. He watched as the bouncer stepped behind the bar and lifted Marie, his Marie, to stand atop the bar. She was a sight to behold, she wore black jeans and a polo shirt like the other workers, but her jeans showed off her exquisite curves. Her distinct white streaks framed her face, while the rest of her hair was pulled back in a ponytail. His breath caught in his throat, and he forgot how to breathe, how to think. Only one thought pounded in his head: Marie.


She stood and smiled for the cheering crowd, arms thrown open as she bowed. Standing straight again, she turned sideways and tilted her head back. She held a lit book of matches in one hand. So fast that most people missed it, she lifted the small fire to her lips and breathed out a ball of fire. The orange from the flames lit her face beautifully, and once the fire was gone she was grinning. She turned back to her audience and bowed again before reaching for the bouncer’s hand to help her down.


It was then that Logan learned to breathe again. Her hands were not covered in gloves. She was touching people skin on skin, and no one was getting hurt. Everyone knew the Cure had failed. It was all over the news. But if that was true, how was what he was watching possible? He stubbed out his cigar and walked toward her.


He didn’t get far. The table of troublemakers chose that moment to start a brawl. Their target was a guy dressed all in white. He had an apron around his waist; Logan figured he was the cook, if they had a cook here.


“Nice haircut, fag!” One of the men had him by his shirtfront as the others circled around. Five to one odds hardly seemed fair to Logan. He stalked slowly to their table, waiting for his moment to break up the party. He never got the chance.


“Darwin, they got Eddie!” It was Marie, barreling across the room, shoving people out of her way. The bouncer was on her heels; everyone around them was watching the drama unfold. “Let him go!” Marie yelled as she approached the table.


“Not before we’ve had a talk with him, right asshole?” The one holding the Eddie shook him violently, letting go long enough to swing and land a punch on the cook’s mouth.


“I said stop it!” Marie was standing in the center of the group now, glaring at their leader. She reached for Eddie who was holding his mouth, blood dripping between his fingers.


“We’re not done yet.” One of the men grabbed her upper arm and yanked her against his chest.


*snikt*


Marie knew that sound. Logan was here.


“Let the girl go. NOW!” He knew he had their attention. Nothing like a sharp metal blade to persuade people.


The Marine dropped his hold on Marie, and she reached for Eddie. She didn’t dare look back at what was happening behind her. She hustled Eddie back to the kitchen. He’d need ice for his mouth, and possibly a dentist. She would not think about that sound, or that voice. Not now.


“Hey man, no need to pull a knife. We’re cool.” The one who had grabbed Marie raised his hands in the classic ‘We Give Up’ gesture. Logan’s adrenaline was pumping and he heard the barstool move through the air moments before it crashed across his back. He turned in time to see the bouncer pummel his attacker to the ground before facing the rest of them. He watched in fascination as the bouncer stared down the men. Even five to one, no one dared mess with him.


Logan retracted his claws as they all backed down. Within moments, the room was crawling with military police.