Author's Chapter Notes:
If you think I own X-Men, stop reading this now and go play in traffic. Stupid people should not breed.
Marie was clearing off a table when she heard someone say, “Check out her rack! Ten bucks says she comes back to my room tonight!”

“You’re on! No way is she going home with you. She’s a prude if I ever saw one.”



Then her night went from bad to worse.



Marie could hear their raucous laughter above the din in the crowded bar. It was unbearably hot, and her shirt had begun to stick to her sweat slicked skin. As the tables around her had become more crowded, she found herself able to meet the customers’ eyes less and less.

Most were young men, her age or a little older. They were enjoying their time away from a grinding work day that started before the sun came up. They were getting drunk and feeling good. Oh yeah, and they were horny. All these things made them forget the manners their mothers had taught them as young boys. They looked around them and they didn’t see women. They saw objects of desire, they saw a body to warm their bed, and they saw their lust reflected back at them.

This of course was the purpose of going to a bar and getting drunk.



The Logan in Marie’s head shared this all with her. She had gleaned not only his powers, but his memories too. She suddenly didn’t feel so well.



The two making the bet looked over at her and motioned for her to come to their table. She felt tears prick her eyes and her throat tighten. She couldn’t do this. She didn’t belong here. This was wrong.



She approached their table and smiled. She was a walking, talking contradiction. She wanted to run, and she wanted to growl low in her throat and attack the two young sailors.



“What can I get you guys?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Your phone number, sweetheart,” the cute blond said with a smirk.



It was then that she thought about all the money in her apron, Darwin’s smile, and Eddie’s easy banter. She was a grown-up and she needed this job. She wanted it. And no little pansy ass Navy boys were going to run her off. The Logan in her head chuckled.



“It’s unlisted. Can I get you boys a drink?” She smiled at them prettily and pushed her chest out.

“Aw, come on, sweet thing. You look like a good time.” The short one leaned over and licked his lips.

“You two look like you couldn’t handle a wet dream between you.” Marie grinned at the short one. Not backing down.

“Bitch.” The other said under his breath.

“Watch your mouth, sugar, or I’ll make you go get your drinks from the Crypt Keeper behind the bar.” She watched amused as Shorty narrowed his eyes and sat back down.

“Two rum and cokes please,” the blond said politely.

“That’s better.” She turned and walked away, and snickered as the blond slipped Shorty a ten dollar bill.



Marie dragged herself into the office, exhausted but happy. Her apron was bulging with tip money, and she couldn’t wait to go home and take a long hot shower. She hoped the smell of the bar would wash out of her hair.



“Good work tonight, Marie.” Mark was at his desk looking over a clipboard. “You want to trade in your ones and fives?” He reached over to the open safe on his left and pulled out a bundle of money.

“Sure, thanks.” She reached for her time card and punched out, then slumped in the chair in front of the desk. Within minutes she had counted out her money. She laid it out in piles on the desk.



“Three hundred and four dollars. Not bad for a night’s work, huh?” He counted out twenties and tens, and handed them over to her. “Count it; make sure it’s all there.”

Marie did as he told her and folded the small bundle before stuffing it in her jeans pocket. She scooped the remaining four ones from his desk and put those in her pocket as well.



She stood to leave when he spoke again.

“Don’t forget to tip Marla.” He was banding the money together and bent down to put it into the safe.

“What?” She had to have heard him wrong.

“It’s a courtesy. You tip Marla for not making you wait in line to order your drinks. And if you tip your bartender, you’re less likely to get watered down drinks.” The safe door shut with a thunk. “She, in turn, should tip Darwin for keeping her bar stocked.”

The word “should” wasn’t lost on Marie. She had little doubt what Marla should do, and what she actually did. “I will. When do I work again?” She asked.

“I’ll post the new schedule tonight. Can you work the same shift tomorrow?”

“I’ll be here.” She left the office and went to find Marla.



Three hundred and four dollars! Not counting her hourly wage. Actually two hundred and eighty four, she had handed a twenty over to Marla before she left and walked to the bus stop. If this kept up, she would be able to afford a bed soon and a phone. Not to mention food and toothpaste. She laughed to herself. It was the little things in life.

It felt good to stop being a runaway and start creating a normal life for herself. She had a one room apartment above a laundromat that was cramped, but it was clean. She had a view of the street below, and the shower had hot water. This was all she wanted or needed at the moment. It had cost her all the cash she had left to rent the place. But she had been road weary and only wanted to stop moving for awhile.

She figured that this small coastal town was as good as any other. She had found work easily enough and was slowly working out a plan for her future. The future of an independent woman, who didn’t need anything. Well, except the aforementioned shower, and sleep. Dreamless sleep would be nice too.