“There are some real nasty fuckers after us. I think it’s safe to stop for now, but we can only stay for couple of hours.” Dingy motel room. We lay on the bed. There are burger wrappers and half eaten portion of fries on the nightstand. Victor is on the other room, right next to us. He is little better now. Logan explained to me what was going on with him, and I kind of feel sorry for that hairy monster. As soon as he healed enough to stand up, he got after us. He still had some internal damage, and stress made his mutation go all wonky. He isn’t healing as fast as he usually does.

I don’t know how to tell her this. How to explain what I have done. How to explain how fucked up I am without loosing her in the process. But I have to make her understand what we are up against. Because at some point things will get messy, and she has to know what to do when that happens.

Logan is tired. I can see it from his eyes. He drove nearly twenty hours straight. We stopped only three times. Once to get food, and twice to let Victor out when he had to vomit. I sit on the bed, leaning my back to the headboard. Logan lies between my legs on his stomach, head on my lap. I comb his impossible hair with my fingers. In an other situation this could be arousing, but now I’m starting to feel terrified. Nasty fuckers? What kind of people does Logan consider nasty?

“I worked for them five years ago. That’s when I met Victor. He became my co-worker in a case. It didn’t go so well. That thing blew apart and got us both nearly killed. It rattled the positions of those above us, few got fired and few just disappeared completely. Now they are after us, and I don’t know why. They might want us back. They might want us dead. Both are poor options. Well stay on the run at least long enough for Victor to heal up. After that we’ll see what happens.” Vague enough? I hope she got the hang of it. I’m not going in to details. She doesn’t need to know all the things me and good old Vic did. Her fingers feel so good, nails scraping over my scalp slightly. She smells so good. I feel a little woozy. Like the bed was slowly turning and tilting to every possible direction. Maybe it is… But can’t fall asleep yet.
“What ever you do, if you end up alone with Vic, keep your skin on. I don’t trust the fucker.” Eyes are closing now. Have to stay awake for couple minutes more.
“Stay with me or Victor all the time. At least one of us must be within one-meter radius, wherever you are. Run when I tell you to. Duck when I tell you to. Stay down when I tell you to. Don’t ask questions… I’ll tell you everything you need to know when you need to know it. And wake me up after two hours. We have to get going before they catch us.”

No whispered “I love you”. But somehow the litany of rules he just laid to me, sounded like that. He’s sleeping now, face buried to my stomach, whole body lax and heavy on top of my legs. His weight feels good. Makes him real and tangible. Who ever those people after us are, what ever they are capable, I feel almost sorry for them. Vic was right. Logan has it figured out. He is going to keep running as long as he can. When he reaches the dead end… I wouldn’t want to be the one standing between him and open end of that particular alley.

Back in the car. It’s still dark outside. Victor is driving. Logan’s dozing off, leaning his back to the door, hands wrapped around me. Victor is stealing glances from the corner of his eye.
“Didn’t have the time to get on to business?” He suddenly asks. Eww… That is something I’m not comfortable discussing with him. Scratch that. I’m not comfortable discussing with him. Period. I shiver and he turns to look at me. Cold evaluating stare travels over my body, starting from toes, ending to my eyes. He leans closer and inhales. Knowing look flashes on his face. Then deep frown replaces it. Is that pity I see in those dark orbs?
“What?” I snap at him. He just smirks and turns his gaze back to the dark road ahead of us. Logan stirs behind me and stretches his back.

“Lets stop there.” Small service station cooped up together with even smaller diner in the middle of nowhere. Sun is rising. Time for breakfast. And more thorough travel plan.
“I’ll take care of the truck. You two go in and order us something to eat,” Logan says. I don’t want to go with Victor, but he leaves me no choice. He grabs my arm and pulls me after him.
“… Should take care of his bitch…” I can hear him mutter and try to yank my hand free from his grip. Vic drags me after him and shoves me in. It’s a struggle, but I manage to stay on my feet. Luckily there are no other customers, and nobody’s behind the counter to see our theatrical entry.

I expect Victor to order same style breakfast as Logan. He surprises me completely. No overly greasy meat products, no gallons of coffee. Oatmeal, some eggs and bread.
“What?” He asks when our food arrives and I stare at his plate in awe.
“Nothing…” I dug in my plate. Well, it’s actually Logan’s too. Huge basket filled with ribs, sausages, bacon, fried potatoes and onion rings. Logan walks in and slumps next to me, still yawning.

“You have been driving north like I asked you to?” Vic doesn’t answer. I know he hasn’t. He knows I know.
“Why?” Victor finishes his oatmeal in peace.
“They were after us. I could see the searchlights. Had to swerve a little to get rid of them again. I know you’re about dying to get to your precious cabin. But have you thought about what happens after that?” Hmm. Victor is a lot smarter than he looks like. I had already forgotten how smart he is.
“They follow you there, and after that there’s absolutely no place to run.” He’s fucking right. But there’s a slight problem.
“Xavier told me not to come home before I have gotten rid of those bastards. I don’t blame him. I don’t want all those kids in there to get involved with my shit, and that will happen if our friends decide to follow me home.”
“Xavier is an asshole.”
“I’m in it for the money, not because of the cause. What’s your excuse of putting up with Eric?” This is getting stupid and childish. We really should be making plans about how to get rid of our unwanted friends instead of bickering like this. I have a gut feeling we need those plans soon…