Fuck. She’s still crying. Not bawling her eyes out, but silently. Where the hell is Scott? He was supposed to be here over an hour ago.
“Hush. You’ll freeze your pretty face.” I try to wipe the tears away, but she shakes her head.
“I’ll heal. At least for a while now. I got his mutation.” And judging from the look on her face something else too. Crap. I know Victor. I know what goes around in his head. It’s not a nice place.
“Try not to think about it.” Suave. How lame can I get? She clings to me and cries even harder. That fucker messed her up real good. Well, we have time.

*Chuck?*

*Yes, Logan?*

*Victor was here. I managed to put him to sleep, but could you tell Scott to hurry the fuck up. I’m not sure how long we have before Vic wakes up.*

*There’s some problem with the Blackbird. It takes at least two days to get it fixed. Do you have any other means of transportation?*

This is fucking ridiculous. First he needs me there ASAP, and now…

*I have my truck. We’ll be there in couple of days.*

*“We?”*

*“We”, as in my fucking business. Your offer about that boathouse still stands?*

*Of course. I’ll ask somebody to tidy it up a bit. Can I take this as a sign that you’re planning to stay permanently?*

*As long as it takes from her to finish the school.*

*Logan? May I ask what are your intentions towards her?*

*No. You may not. And cut the link. It’s giving me a headache. If I need you, I’ll use the cell.*

*…*

Logan looks kind of funny. Eyes glazed over; face blank. Wonder what he’s thinking so hard? Fuck. I have to get a hold of myself. I bet my nose is all runny. My cheeks will soon be puff. I’ll look like a freaking hamster. At least that creep stopped screaming. Which isn’t actually a good thing. I should probably tell Logan.
“Uh… Logan?” He doesn’t seem to hear me. I wave my hand in front of his eyes. He doesn’t even blink. What the fuck is going on? Maybe if I… No. I couldn’t slap him. Not after what he did. I would probably still be sitting on that monster’s chest, grabbing his ears if it wasn’t for Logan. Maybe just a little nudge with my elbow… There. Oh, he seems to wake up. Good.
“Logan? I think that friend of yours just woke up.”
“How do you know?”
“I can’t hear him inside my head anymore. Usually it means that they are conscious.” Brr… Where the hell is the guy Logan said that was going to pick us up?

“We have to get past him. My truck is back at the motel.” Thank God kid stopped crying. So, Vic woke up, huh? Fucker heals much faster than I.
“Scott couldn’t make it. We have to drive. But first we have to run. Now!” Christ! That was a fucking tree trunk! Missed us just barely.

“Run!” Vic is quite angry. I would be, too. I can hear him howling behind us. That’s one thing I have never understood. Why waste energy and oxygen to shouting? Shit! Kid stumbles.
“Come on! No time to drag ass now!” She gasps and I can only hope my grip doesn’t make any lasting damage to her wrist. Another whoosh. She’s already down, but Vic catches me with that tree and throws me off balance. Fuck, that hurts… I can’t see… Something is pressing on my back. And I fucking thought getting hit by that tree hurt… Have to turn over… Just a little nudge. I can do it. That better be Victor standing over me. He’s going to get gut full off adamantium…

It was Victor all right. I can still hear Rogue breathing. She’s scurrying around in the snow. What the fuck is she doing? What is that noise? And why am I so fucking cold? There’s a warm mattress under me, and yet I’m freezing.
“Kid?” No answer. Where is she? What is going on?
“Kid…” I try to sound commanding, but I can muster only a slight whimper. This is weird. What the fuck is the matter with me? There’s something wrong. I can’t move. I can’t see.
“Rogue!”

I think I’m going to be sick. Anytime soon. Victor is down. Probably permanently. Logan cut him in half from his waist. But not soon enough. Victor nearly tore his spine out. I could hear a sharp snap. He isn’t moving. But he’s bleeding. That’s a good sign, right? If he’s bleeding, his heart is still working. If his heart is still working he’s still alive. Right? I should go and check him. I don’t know if I can do that. I don’t know what to do if he’s dead. I don’t want him to be dead. I want him to be alive. I want to get to know him better. I want to move in with him. I want to see that school of his. I can’t do those things if he’s dead.
“Rogue!” He’s alive!

Eyesight is coming back. I can see a blurred figure. Pale, oval face. Brown something around it. Lots of green. Rogue.
“Kid… Take the keys. Bring the truck over here. I don’t think I can walk…” And don’t fucking tell me you can’t drive. I’m not going to crawl all the way back to the motel. She takes the keys and goes running. Good kid. Now, let’s see what’s bothering me… Crap. Back. Has to be. I can already move a little. It’s okay. She has to drive for a while, maybe couple of hours. Wonder how Victor is doing… Takes a while to recover from that. Fucker got what he deserved. Oh, I can hear the truck…
“Hey!” That was close. She nearly drove over me. Well. Looks like the exhaust pipe is nearly falling off. Might as well take couple days vacation and fix it after we get back to Xavier’s…

Thank God Logan’s in good enough shape to drive. I couldn’t reach the pedals and see over the hood at the same time. Good thing this isn’t one of those SUV’s. He was little angry when I dragged him from under the truck. But it’s better now. I apologized. After he had shouted a while, he just threw me in and we got going. After an hour we had to turn back. He had forgotten some papers back to the motel.

Scratch that couple days off. I need at least a week. Just truck, some booze, a good cigar and me.