Suddenly camper stutters. Logan curses and I nearly trip over. I land on top of the table, hit my side and fall down. Something soft stops me before my head hits the floor. I open my eyes. Victor is leaning over me, his other hand behind my neck, other supporting me from my waist. Sudden image of some old movie poster, hero with pencil moustache bending busty heroine, eyes glazed over, all ready for that infamous kiss. There’s a weird look on his face. He’s leaning closer and inhales deeply. Small smile tugs the corners of his mouth, and there’s almost sad look in his eyes when he helps me to stand up, and pulls me close enough so that he can whisper to my ear. His words make my insides freeze
“Can’t have proud mama hurting herself…”

I hear it. There’s an SUV full of lycans in front of our camper, and behind me a mother. Mother of my child. And Victor chooses this moment to reveal his true nature. He exits through the back door, dragging Marie out with him. I can hear the scuffle. She’s screaming and kicking, grasping the camper, but it doesn’t help. I bolt after them, but it’s already late. Lycans pile out from their car. Victor walks to them with his prize and hands her over. He turns to look at me when they stuff her in the car.

“This was all they wanted. They agreed to let us go if…” Clawed hand erupting through his chest silences him. Lycan behind him sniggers and pulls out Victor’s heart through his back. Victor falls. Mutt stares at me, sickening grin on its fanged face. It licks the blood that is still oozing from the heart.
“This one was stupid. Are you stupid?” It asks. Guess I am. Stupid enough to unsheathe my claws. There are five of them, all fighters and healers. But they are not going to get away with her. They are not going to take away my life. Not as long as I’m standing.

I don’t know who is after me. It’s either Logan, or those monsters. I’m not planning to stop and see. I’m going to run as far as I can. If Logan survives, he will find me. He told me to run, and that’s what I’m going to do. I’m not going to think about Logan. I’m not going to think about what happened to Victor. Because if I do, I will start crying. And when that happens, I can’t run anymore.

Two of them went after Marie. Three stayed to play with me. Two I put down easily, but third one was a bit tricky. It kept dodging my attacks. Had to let it closer. I managed to cut its head of when it’s jaws sunk to my side. I caught the other chasing Marie and it didn’t even notice me before it was too late. I lopped its head off.

Fuck. No. This simply isn’t happening. This isn’t happening. Can’t be happening. There’s no huge lycan. There’s no Marie in front of it. That lycan isn’t… I’m going to be sick. But before that somebody’s going to get neutered…

I will most likely have nightmares about what happened for the rest of my life. I sit on the snow. There’s blood everywhere. Logan is chopping up huge, dog-like creature that tried to rape me. It doesn’t have legs or hands anymore, and still it tries to crawl with the stubs it has left, teeth bared, snarling and growling. It doesn’t even try to escape. It crawls toward Logan, trying to take a bite out of him. Finally it looks like Logan has gotten enough. He swipes open it’s stomach and cuts off its head. And then falls on top of that mess, face down. He doesn’t move. There’s blood. Lots of it. His hands are black and blue, swollen, and there’s blood coming out from the wounds his claws made. Every small gash and bruise is spreading and bleeding freely. He isn’t healing.

Everything hurts. I think I’m going to throw up. As soon as I get up, I’ll have to go and check Marie. I’m going to get up now. I can do it. Just… I can’t do it. Nope. Can’t move. Can’t lift a finger. What ever they did to me, it worked. Oh, God. Fucking unbelievable. I’m infected. That bite…
“Kid?” Way to go. Call her a kid. Have to think up something else. Can’t go running around, calling the mother of my child a kid. Not appropriate. Have to think up something else. Later. If there is such thing as later. It’ll have to do right now.
“Kid? Are you alright?” Please. Be all right. Why the fuck she doesn’t answer? Talk to me. Say something. Anything. Have to turn around. I can probably do it. Just roll over. This fucker under me is so slippery that it shouldn’t be hard. Oh, come on! Why the fuck this isn’t working!
“Marie!” Oh, that’s much better. She’s turning me around. Could you get that sticky stuff off from my eyes? What ever it is, it feels gross.

He’s barely alive. I don’t know what to do. He just lays there, eyes closed. He’s starting to turn black and blue all over. What the hell is going on? He isn’t going to die. He can’t die. I don’t want him to die. Maybe if I close my eyes this will all go away. I just lay my head on his chest. There. I can hear his heart. It’s weak, but it’s still there. Hands around him. He’s starting to turn cold, but maybe I can keep him warm. I’m just going to sleep for a while, and when I wake up, I wake up from our bed. Logan’s sleeping behind me, maybe snoring a little, and I can jab him with my elbow and blame him for waking me up.