***

I held her in my arms, brought her fragile body to my lips, and bestowed her with the only kiss we would ever share in life. Her mouth was butter, smooth and rich, soft and delicate. Tears crept into my eyes, melting waterfalls flowing down my cheeks, peppering her trembling chin. Flesh against flesh, warmth passed between us.

I struggled to breathe life into her throat, passing life from within me. It swept through her cells and escaped through her pores, holes in a bucket leaking water. My mouth refused to form words. Each sound trickled from my larynx and disintegrated on my tongue.

Skin, marred by old wounds, slick with blood, melted between my palms. A struggling heartbeat pulsed beneath frail blue veins. The tenderness of her throat contrasted with the rough sandpaper of her hands. Streaks of chestnut and platinum fell over her eyes, cupped her cheek, framed her face. Our movements were small, gentle, and slow. Her fingers curled in the hair on my jaw.

“If I have to die today,” she began. My head shook; pain flooded my thoughts. Life faded from tarnished emeralds. “If I have to die today, I’m glad I could touch you just once. I’d give all my memories, my possessions, my family, and my friends. I’d give all my life just to touch you, and to feel you touch me.”

***
End.