Truck had stopped. Bumpy ride was over. He could hear familiar sounds of the camp around him. In a weird and twisted way they were soothing his nerves. He was home. This was where he belonged. The man was silent, beaten and hiding again. His head felt clearer than it had been in ages. Footsteps were approaching, then the tarp covering the cages was pulled off and he squinted his eyes against the brightness of the sun that greeted him. Man was standing next to his cage, talking to another man. Enthusiasm, greed and relief colored his scent.
“This has to be worth of extra! This one’s a deserter. Found it from the desert. First we thought it was dead, it has claws in its hands and it had rammed them right through its ribcage, but as soon as we got them out it started healing.”
“Healer with claws? Good. Take it to the shop. Guys can check it up and install the tag and chip.”

He was sure there was something he had forgotten, but it probably wasn’t that important. More important was to concentrate to not to scream when scalpel sliced his cheek open. He grit his teeth when they scraped the bone underneath clean. Momentarily scent of hot metal and burning flesh drowned all the other scents. Sharp jab of needle to his bicep made him cringe a bit, then it was over.
“Tagged and chipped. Ready for rehabilitation.”
“This went smoothly. Funny. According to Hunter’s log this guy gave them quite some trouble…”
“Wonder what they did to him? You’re no troublemaker, right, Wolverine?”
“You know it?”
“Just by reputation. One of the first Destroyers. Pretty clean record up until some incident over decade ago. Went missing after some fire. Nobody’s seen this guy ever since.”
“First destroyers? He’s about hundred years old?”
“Might be even older. But who the fuck cares. It’s not like these guys can get pension…”
“Right. Let’s go and grab some coffee before they bring in the next one.”

His cheek was itching, but he knew better not to scratch it. Skin was supposed to stay under the tag. They would have to cut it open again if he accidentally lifted half healed flap of it over the thin metal plate. Two Guards walked in and released his hands and legs from the restraints, ordering him to stand up. He sat up and let his feet slide to the floor, slowly. Guards reeked of nervousness and fear. Not a good combination. He cleared his throat.
“I won’t cause any troubles.”
“Yeah. Tell that to somebody who cares. And keep your fucking trap shut,” younger of the Guards huffed, poking him to a right direction with his rifle.
“We’re supposed to take it to the warehouse. A Mech is waiting in there.”
“Good. My shift’s over already. I’m so fucking tired of playing chaperone to these morons…”

He briefly wondered why Guards hadn’t shackled him, but shrugged it off. He really wasn’t in the mood to take the beating that would follow if he clawed them. Ride had been long and jarring. All he wanted to do was to sleep it off. He was sure there would be plenty of opportunities to vent out aggressions later. To teach some manners to these arrogant schmucks. They wouldn’t last a full minute in the field and they had the guts to order him around and speak to him as he was somehow retarded. Yeah. It would be good. But not before he had gotten his bearings and learned the ropes again. For some reason there seemed to be a sizeable gap in his memory.
“Get in there.”
“Hey, Gary! Got you another one.”
“Jesus! Like I didn’t have enough already. What? Am I suddenly the only Mech in this whole fucking Army!”
“Not our problem. Arrived today, but nothing’s new to this guy. It’s a deserter. Keep an eye on it.”
“What does it do?”
“Destroyer. Little outdated model if you ask from me. Retractable adamantium claws in its hands. Not much use in the field anymore. I guess that’s why they gave it to you.”

Outdated? He would fucking show that prick outdated next time he saw him. But not now. Mechanic. Old. Chubby. White hair. Glasses over his eyes. Curious bastard, getting so close to his face.
“Wolverine? Christ! They weren’t kidding. You’re ancient. Older than me. I know, I know… Not exactly a compliment, but it’s the truth. What’s your status?” Mechanic asked. He tilted his head.
“Go on. I’m sure you are able to speak,” Gary urged.
“Healer. I heal. And I have enhanced senses.”
“Are you a nut job?” Gary asked. Again he tilted his head, furrowing his brow. What the fuck was the Mech talking about?
“I have noticed you guys perform much better if I keep the collar off all the time. But before I take it off I want to know if you’re planning to go berserk and cut up half of the team.”
“You can take it off. I’m too fucking tired to do anything else than sleep.”
“What about after you have slept? Will you be different?” Gary asked. Well, he felt like nice enough guy.
“I don’t have a clue.”
“Okay. I leave it on for now. See how it goes.”

Gary led him to his quarters.
“As you can see, I already have my hands full… And that’s where you step in to the picture,” he said pointing at a group of hunters that were lounging in the corner, chained together but free from the collar.
“We lost our Destroyer about a week ago. Some trigger-happy idiot… Well, you’re going to take his place. You’ll patrol with these guys at the outer perimeter of the camp. Two Guards will escort you, but I wouldn’t count too much on them if I were you. It’s up to you to see that these morons behave. Think you’re up to it?” Gary asked. And now he was sure there was something very, very wrong. He was a fucking Destroyer. Not a babysitter. And certainly not something to be trusted. But what the heck. He could do it. He could play for a while and see how things were handled in here. He nodded.
“You’re not much of a talker, are you?” Gary asked.
“Am I allowed to speak?”
“How long exactly have you been on the run?” Gary asked, wrinkling his forehead. He just shrugged. He hadn’t even been aware that he had been AWOL.
“Things have changed since you left, quite a bit. Of course there are still rules, written and whole shitload of things you just have to know. Just remember one thing. Don’t question. Do as you’re told to, and everything will go just fine.”