Author's Chapter Notes:
Poor Logan
In the end, it took her fourteen hours, six dingy bars, two strip joints and one rather embarrassing incident involving an escort agency and a police officer, to find Logan. It then took her two hours more to persuade him to come home. Eventually, after plying him with excessive alcohol, she successfully half heaved, half cajoled him into the car. It had been telling him of Rogue's inner torment that had finally done it. That and the horse tranqs she had slipped into his vodka.

She had told him that girl had barely left her room since...the *incident*...as she liked to call it. He'd remained growly and scratchy and more than a little reluctant, but he had returned with her. And she was thankful for that. She did not know how she would explain herself to Rogue otherwise.

She was also thankful that his healing factor kicked in and sobered him up before he threw up over Scott's expensive leather seats.

By the time they got back to the mansion, she was shattered. Feeling pleased at a job well done, all she wanted to do was prod him in the direction of Rogue and let him do all the talking while she sloped off to bed. The only flaw in her plan was that Rogue was no where to be seen.

Logan was not happy.

Jean held a tired hand over her eyes for a moment. Why *her*? Why did she have to deal with this? Was this punishment for laughing? With a heartfelt sigh, she resigned herself to the fact that she was now going to have to turn right back around, and go and look for Rogue.

She stopped, half way out the door. Paused. Logan was looking edgy, about to run. This was not good. Thinking fast, Jean used her powers to search out Scott. She felt her shoulders sag in relief when she realised he was just along the corridor, in the kitchen with Ro, Kurt and Hank. Excellent. Logan-sitters.

'Go,' she ordered him firmly, ignoring his sullen scowl. 'The others are in the kitchen. Stay there and I'll find her. I'll bring her back to you.' She thought he might put up a fight, but it just went to show how bad he was feeling, that after glaring at her for only a few moments, he simply nodded, once, then made his way up the corridor, bristling at anyone unfortunate enough to get in his way.

Relieved that, for the time being at least, he was no longer her burden, Jean briefly scanned the minds of all the residents for knowledge of Rogue's whereabouts. She groaned inwardly when she realised that she was out at the mall with Jubilee. Sympathy shopping no doubt. She took the car keys back out of her pocket...then froze as Scott's voice echoed down from the kitchen.

'Ah Logan. So glad you could *come*...'

She was just imagining things. Wasn't she...?

She made it as far as the gravel driveway before she noticed anything odd. Ok, she had been away all night, but she definitely did not remember a flag pole outside the main entrance. And someone had not bothered to properly raise...the...

Oh God, Scott. What had possessed her to leave Logan with *him*? Stupid stupid stupid! She ran back to the kitchen, trying not to trip over any children in the way, desperately hoping there were going to be survivors.

To her immense relief they were all seated quite calmly. Kurt and Ro at the breakfast bar, Hank hovering by the door, Scott leaning against the counter. It was a totally innocent domestic scene. Ok, Logan was glaring blackly at the table top, but that was nothing unusual. She breathed a sigh of relief.

'Scott,' she said, taking care to keep her voice level and not alarm Logan. 'Why is there a flag in the driveway? And why is it flying at half-mast?'

'What are you implying, dear?' Scott smiled cheerfully. A little too cheerfully.

'You know very well what I'm implying. Logan is-'

'Nonsense,' Scott dismissed her with a wave of his hand. 'Logan's just had a bit of a hard time recently.'

Kurt erupted in a very suspicious coughing fit.

'All he needs,' he continued innocently, 'is a really *stiff* drink.'

Jean couldn't be sure, but she thought she heard a snort of laughter from Ro.

Logan turned his glare on Scott. 'You got something to say, One-eye?'

'You alright there Logan,' he smiled kindly as if addressing a small child. 'You look bored rigid.'

Storm choked, hands covering her mouth.

Logan got up from his chair, his face furious as he advanced on Scott. He snarled and growled out a few choice swear words, Hank's restraining hand on his shoulder the only thing stopping him from a good gutting.

'Now, now Wolverine,' said Hank. 'He's trying to rile you. We can all see that. Don't rise to the bait.'

Oh God, thought Jean. Not Hank as well.

'We know you've been dealt a rough hand recently but-'

'You wanna shut it Scooter? Before I introduce you to my claws?'

'You sure you can extend them Logan, because last time-'

'Stop it!' said Jean. 'Stop it, the pair of you. Honestly, it's worse than dealing with teenagers.'

Logan growled.

'Don't overreact Jean,' said Scott in his most serious voice. 'I'm just concerned about Rogue that's all. Logan really needs to sort that out. As far as I'm concerned he's made a complete cock up of the entire situation.'

Kurt gave up trying to hide it. He was near doubled over, clutching at his blue sides.

'I agree. He's enlarged it beyond all proportion,' added Hank, who was unable to suppress a grin at this fun new game.

Scott, miraculously, had managed to keep a straight face. 'Totally,' he said to Hank, as if he had just expressed a most valid point. 'He is making mountains out of molehills. Or should it be the other way round?' He pretended to think for a moment as Logan shot him a look of absolute death. 'But I apologise if I upset you. No hard feelings ok?'

It was too much. Too much. Even Jean felt the hysterics creep up on her. She willed herself not to loose control. She had to do something. Anything. She looked desperately around for some washing up to distract her. Damn. Whoever invented dishwashers needed shooting. Drinks! Yes, that would do it. She could fix drinks and then they could all calm down.

'Listen Logan, let me get you a drink. Coffee ok? I know it's not beer. And something to eat.'

Thank God, that seemed to placate him a little. He sat reluctantly back down and she boiled the kettle, well aware of the heightened tensions in the room behind her as she spooned a heap of instant into a cup.

'Let me help you with that.'

She looked suspiciously at Scott, who was all friendly charm. He took the coffee out of her hands before she could protest, then fumbled around in the cupboard for some food. He found some bread rolls and dropped one on to a plate.

'Here you are Logan. The students ate the last of the cake. I know it's not much, but it's unleavened, so you should be able to-'

That did it. The room exploded. Storm all but fell on Kurt, who was crying into the sleeve of his shirt. Hank had turned to face the wall, leaning against it for support, so that all that could be seen was the shaking of his hairy blue shoulders.

Then there was a blur of movement. Faster than she could blink, Logan had Scott up against the wall, his face distorted with fury. 'You better hope your girl there can sew good Bub, 'cause I am gonna-'

'What's going on here?'

If there ever was a more opportune moment for Rogue to return home, then Jean doubted she would live to see it.

'Nothing,' said Scott, his jovial tone completely at odds with the nine inches of adamantium aimed at his jugular. 'Friendly chat. How are you Rogue? Been out for a while? *You're* obviously having no problems *getting up* in the mornings.'

`Stop! STOP!' Jean jumped between them just in time. What was *wrong* with Scott? Did he have a death wish? She put a hand on Logan's shoulder, trying to get him to put her fiancé down, but it wasn't working.

'Logan?' Only Rogue's soft voice seemed to have an effect.

Jean watched with relief, as his scowl softened slightly, though his hold on Scott remained...firm...oh God. Had she really just thought that?

She tried not to laugh. Tried to focus on the serious...she caught Ro's eye, who was chewing her lip in an effort to keep control. It was too much. She couldn't help it. She dissolved into a fit of laughter, burying her head in her hands, having no choice but to give herself over to it. 'I'm sorry,' she choked through mouthfuls of ridiculous, hiccuping giggles. She wiped her eyes and tried to look beseechingly at Rogue, but it didn't help. She couldn't stop.

Logan growled at everyone in the room. He picked Scott up by his shirt, roared at him, and deposited him roughly in the sink. Then he strode across the kitchen, scooped his girl up over one shoulder, shopping bags and all, and disappeared from sight.

'Logan? It's the middle of the day, why are we going to the bedroom?' Jean could hear Rogue squeak as he stomped down the corridor. 'Logan, what are you doing?'

'Teachin those bastards a damn lesson in what the Wolverine can...WHO PUT THE FUCKIN VIAGRA ON MY BED?'