Author's Chapter Notes:
The next morning dawned disgustingly bright and sunny for the gloomy mood in the nearly empty mansion.

Charles watched the news footage of the dam burst, and subsequent flooding downstream from Alkali Lake. He was listening for any statement of bodies found, so far seven people were listed as missing. Later today he would call the local police department and lodge a missing person’s report for their lost women, he would need to come up with a plausible cover story in the mean time.

--

Ororo was in the kitchen, pouring herself another cup of tea and wishing it was something stronger. It had been years since she had smoked but a cigarette sounded good right now too; anything to distract herself. She was just leaving the room when the phone rang on the hall table. Watching the little light that flashed as the tone trilled, she considered leaving it to go to voicemail before deciding it would be a good distraction. Perhaps it was some of the children ringing asking for a pick up, maybe it was a concerned parent who had heard of the attack.

“Xavier’s School,” Ororo answered, trying to sound dignified and composed, though she didn’t think she managed more than ‘alive and speaking’.

“Miss Munroe? It’s me, Rogue, it’s a long story but we could really use a pick up,” the soft southern tinted voice floated down the line.

For a few moments Ororo stood staring dumbly at the phone in her hand, before she parroted, “Rogue?”

--

Logan’s step faltered mid stride, when he heard Ororo gasp in surprise. Her exclamation drew him in, and he found himself rushing to her side, plans to sneak out undetected forgotten.

Wrenching the phone out of her hand midsentence Logan took control of the call. “Who is this?” he demanded.

“Logan!” he heard Marie’s relieved voice across the line, her tone suddenly sounding light and happy. “It’s me sugar, we need a pick up, as soon as possible, turns out this place is even less safe than it used to be,” Marie was chattering away, happily but tired.

“Where are you?” Logan asked, grabbing for the pen and the notepad beside the phone, ignoring Ororo who stood beside him still in shock.

“Meridian, Mississippi, my old hometown, it’s a long story how we got here but we need to get out a-sap,” Marie told him.

“Why? What’s wrong Marie?” he demanded.

“Let’s just say the locals are even less friendly than they used to be,” Marie shared worriedly.

“Do you have somewhere to lay low?” Logan asked, worried himself, while he was simultaneously relieved. Even to be able to hear her voice was a relief.

“Yeah, we do, for now, how long do you think it’ll take to get here, should we stay or try to get out of town?” Marie asked.

Logan turned the question over to Ororo, who gave him a time frame.

“You stay put and lay low darlin, we’ll be there before you know it; is there a place where we can put the jet down that you can get to?” Logan queried, scribbling down notes as Marie gave him a location where the jet would fit and be out of the way, where they could meet them.

“We’ll be there as soon as possible darlin,” Logan assured her, imploring her again to be careful and lay low.

“We’ll be waiting Logan, I’ve got to go, see you when you get here,” Marie murmured softly.

“Wait! Who’s we?” Logan suddenly asked, noting her continued use of plural identifiers.

“Me and Jean, silly,” Marie replied, as if ‘duh’ that should have been obvious. “I’ve got to go, I’ll see you soon,” she repeated, the phone hanging up before he could say anything more.

Hanging the phone up Logan stared at it for a few moments. “That was Rogue,” he stated, still in shock.

“Yes,” Ororo replied, just as stunned.

“She said Jean’s with her,” Logan murmured.

“Really!?” Ororo gasped, surprised as much as she was hopeful.

“Yep,” Logan confirmed. “You go tell Chuck and get the jet ready, I’ll get Scott,” Logan suddenly announced, handing Ororo the notes he had taken so she could chart the jets course to collect its passengers.