Author's Chapter Notes:
Rogue watched in horror as the hatch of the jet closed, leaving Jean outside the jet and the rest of them inside. The wall of water heading toward them was going to kill her, and Rogue couldn’t help the feeling of guilt that she had caused this.

Why did she try and fly the stupid plane. Why did she have to land so badly; it was a miracle the hatch even opened at all.

She watched out the window as the jet lifted into the air, Jean looked like a child’s toy, like she could just reach out the window and pluck her to safety. If only she could...

Maybe she could!

A flash back of her own, most recent, dance with death came to her mind, the whumping sound of her teleporting saviour reminding her how easy it had been to pluck her out of free fall before she met terra firma.

Whirling quickly, intent on her objective, she grabbed hold of the blue skinned mutant. Focussing all her thoughts, and hopefully her mutation, on his powers she prayed this would work.

“Sorry Kurt,” she murmured, as she watched him gasp for air and sway unsteadily, staring at her in pain and confusion.

Before anyone had even realised what she was doing, she stepped back up to the window, eyes fixed on Jean as she tried to figure out how to make her new power teleport her down there.

--

Logan watched in horror as the wall of water fast closed in on Jean. There was no way she could survive, and he felt like the world’s worst asshole for holding Scott back and preventing him from going to her. Jean had made her choice though, she had chosen Scott, and she had chosen Scott, and the rest of them, would live. As much as he didn’t like how this was playing out, they really had no option but to go along. If anyone opened that hatch now, they would all die; except him... probably.

Logan was momentarily distracted as Marie stepped up to the window beside him, watching Jean intently. He was just thinking to himself, in relief, that she was at least safe at his side, when he caught sight of the determined look on her face.

“Rogue?” he murmured, not sure what she was planning but fairly confident he wasn’t going to like it. Before he could grab hold of her arm and demand to know what she was up to the smell of sulphur burned his nostrils, and Marie disappeared in a puff of black smoke.

“MARIE!!” he roared, forgetting about Scott entirely as he threw himself even closer to the window when he spotted Marie appear on the ground beside Jean. His claws were out in a flash, intent on cutting through the soft metal belly of the plane to get to Marie, but this time it was he who was held back, heedless of his claws, snarls, and growls.

He could do nothing but watch, Scott at his side, as the water came closer and closer to the pair of women now standing on the ground. Watching in horror and heartbreak, as the water finally closed over them when Jean’s strength gave out.

Scott went quiet, sagging against the wall of the jet, sinking to the floor as he began to weep. Logan just roared, pounding clawless fists into the wall in anger and grief, as inside the wild feral part of himself whimpered and curled in on itself. He hadn’t been able to save her; he had promised her.