Interlude-

Erik never thought that he would have this.

Charles had passed out on top of him, fully naked and snoring softly. He was deeply enough asleep that Erik could trace the tip of his finger over Charles’ brows, down the bridge of his nose, over his lips, and up the line of his jaw.  Charles made a sleepy sound and curled into Erik’s longer body, and Erik felt his heart thump painfully in his chest. He did not know what he had done to deserve this, after so many mistakes. Erik bent to kiss Charles’ naked shoulder, closing his eyes, grateful.

Charles was so deeply asleep that Erik was able to move him  off of the couch, and to a more comfortable spot, allowing Erik to slide out from under him. He looked around the room and frowned. They’d knocked over something on a desk, and managed to crash into one of the bookshelves, and it appeared that someone’s clothes had been flung over the ceiling fan. Charles made a snuffling sound, and curled into the warmth that Erik had left.  Erik couldn’t help the purely smug smirk that twisted his lips at the memory of exactly what had happened last night (this morning?) and found a blanket to put over his lover. He set about putting the room to rights with a negligent wave of his hand.

The quick thought of time passing made Erik realize that he had barely realized that Marie existed, and that he hadn’t checked on her in quite awhile. Not since. . . oh. Oh dear. Erik vaguely remembered her trying to get their attention while he had been trying to memorize the taste and feel of Charles’ mouth. After ascertaining that she wasn’t in danger, they’d both ignored her, wrapped up in their own love and need.

Er. Maybe it was past time to check in with the girl. He was existing in her mind, after all.

Without thinking much of anything, Erik dropped the barrier that existed between Marie’s mind and his own. Instead of it falling easily, like dropping a sheet, it felt heavier, thicker, like taffy that had been stretched too far.

What he saw made Erik fumble to slam the barriers back up so quickly it actually gave him a headache. He did not need to see the Wolverine make that face. Ever. Erik caught the tendril of Marie’s flustered thought and managed  to send a quick “I see that you’re still busy. And... quite acrobatic.” He managed a sarcastic “My my,” before managing to get the barriers back up.  Marie didn’t answer him in words, but with a flood of mocking images that made Erik turn about twelve shades of red.

He sighed. Sassy child.

“What’s wrong?”

Erik couldn’t help himself. He allowed a small smile and pretended to wipe away one tiny tear from the corner of his eye. “Our baby girl is all grown up.”

Charles gaped at him.

Erik supposed he couldn’t blame him. His sense of humor had always been rather. . . dry. He walked to the table and poured Charles a glass of water, then turned and walked back towards his friend and offered him the glass. It was perhaps a bit ridiculous that this man still had the ability to make his heart clench just by offering him a sleepy smile and an accidental brush of their fingers, but Erik was so grateful for these small moments.  The truth was, now that Marie had full control of her powers, Erik must acknowledge that there was the very real possibility that he and Charles’ existence in this corner of Marie’s mind would end sooner, rather than later.

We should find a bed.

Charles looked at him above the rim of his glass as he drank, raising one eyebrow.

Erik stooped a little to kiss the grin off of Charles’ face, and allowed himself to be distracted from his maudlin thoughts.

For as long as he could.


 

Marie

The hot tub was making my fingers pruny. I stared down at my hand, sighing. Logan tightened his arms around me and kissed the back of my neck. I couldn’t help the surprised shiver, despite the fact that after this past week he’d kissed and tasted every inch of my body.

“What’s wrong?”

“Just. . . I feel bad for hiding up here. But I also don’t want to go back yet.”

“Aw, shit. I was hoping that you didn’t see that message.”

I reached out and tangled my fingers with Logan’s, watching as the water sheeted off our combined hands. I liked the simple moments like this. I swear that I never thought that Logan was a cuddler, but I suppose all the signs were there. “Yeah. 'Ro sent one to me directly. Beast wants to run tests. In fact, I’m pretty sure that “wants to” is kind of an understatement.”

“Hm.”

I knew that Logan would probably rather do nothing more than curl up together and ignore the rest of the world, and I couldn’t blame him. Not after everything.  He didn’t much like to talk about it, but the fact that Jean had taken the Phoenix out of his reality, and the fact that I had destroyed the Shadowbeast bothered him- not for any bullshit ‘protect the damsel in distress’ reason, but because he was just that untrusting. Or pessimistic, maybe. Logan just didn’t believe that things were really done, and the idea of us reporting back to the X-men really. . .

I broke off my thought when he stood up, because watching his naked body was guaranteed to make me forget my train of thought. I turned my head and kissed his hip with a brief kiss, and he made a pleased rumble as he got out of the tub and dried off.

“I don’t want that blue bastard showing up here and knockin’ on my door, so I guess the sooner we get there, the sooner we can get back.”

I didn’t miss the quick glance at me out of the corner of his eye. I knew that part of him still didn’t believe that I was here. The idea that he had been so convinced that time would take me away, and he’d have to go on alone, but he still couldn’t keep away, despite the future pain it would cause was like a love letter in and of itself.

“I love you. Or am in love with you.”

Don’t get me wrong. The words had been nice, but that broke my heart more than anything. Which reminded me.

Charles?

I waited patiently. After Erik had surprised me, I thought that it was best for all of us if I did the mental equivalent of knocking before just speaking.

“Yes, my dear? I trust you are . . . well, with your Wolverine?”

He sent the mental image of an impish, knowing look. Ugh. It was like being caught by both of my parents. Still, with the kiss I’d seen, and the bedhead Charles hadn’t thought to fix, I didn’t think he could tease me too much without being a total hypocrite. I sent the gist of this, and was pleased to see him duck his head, pleased.

I did want to talk to you though. Something that Logan brought up a few days ago. If don’t quite know how to ask this, but is Erik still. . . here? All the way here?

I didn’t know how to better articulate what I meant. Charles’ presence in my head was like a beacon. Like Carol and Logan had been before him, Erik’s was. . . less. I hesitated to say that he was fading away, because the Professor had told me long ago that I had the power to ‘lock’ and ‘unlock’ the people I shared my mind with, but that is what it felt like.  I knew that if anyone would stop at nothing to keep that from happening, it would be Charles Xavier.

Charles sighed. That is. . . complicated, and partially dependent on your checkup by our Hank.

It hurt my heart to hear him sounding so sad.  

Suffice it to say, that our time together is, out of necessity, limited.

I winced. Crap. That seemed. . . unfair somehow.  

Logan held out a towel for me, and we went about getting dressed and shutting down the house indefinitely. Logan showed me everything, and I spent a nice few minutes following him around the small space, copying his movements.  It took a surprising amount of time to pack and gather up the items that would be perishable. Logan pointedly unpacked everything but one outfit, and I supposed that said as well as anything how long he planned on staying, given the opportunity.

“Ready?” Logan tried a smile, but it didn’t work. It reiterated the fact that he was doing this for me. He could just stay here and ignore the world, but he chose to go with me.  I squeezed his hand and he locked the door.

Despite Logan’s care and attention, I couldn’t shake the melancholy of Charles’ words; of what he wasn’t saying.

The trip to New York was much shorter than I had anticipated. Beast met us with the Blackbird, and ignored us for most of the trip back. I had no doubt that he was giving us what privacy he could, and the whole thing made me feel like going back was just going to cause troubles. I curled up into Logan’s heat and slept, trying to put off everything for as long as I could. Escape had always been my thing. This time though, I clung to it as hard as I could.

Logan woke me up with a kiss while we were landing. “Come on, sleepyhead. Rise and shine.”

I kissed him back, and it wasn’t until Hank cleared his throat a little uncomfortably that we separated and exited the jet.

“Rogue!” Jubilee screeched and ran forward, ducking under Logan’s arm and flinging her arms around me. “Oh god, I missed you so much.”

Her hug was tight and I winced, guilt swarming me. I’d emailed her, and we’d spoken once on the telephone, but practically the last time I’d seen her had been when Stryker had kidnapped me. That horribly awkward meeting with Destiny, and Bobby, and Kurt. . . god. It seemed like years ago now.  I hugged her back, and Jubes sniffed once, kissing my cheek.

It occurred to me that she still thought I was “cured.” Holy shit.

My shocked gaze met Hank’s over Jubes’ shoulder, and I saw his lips twist into a smirk. His thoughts were as clear as if he had borrowed Charles’ powers and shouted them into my head. His endless kindness and loyalty was just as clear as always. He had my back with the rest of them, no matter what.

No one here knew I had full control of my mutation.

I pulled away from Jubes’ hug and whispered low, in her ear. “You’re gonna love this.”

I drew on Carol and Erik’s long dormant gifts. It felt amazing to have the sheer force of it tingling under my skin. I fumbled for a moment but recovered quickly as I used the magnetic force and Carol’s flight to hoover about ten feet above the ground. I shook my head and my long hair flew behind me like a cape. I heard Logan’s low whistle of admiration, and the satisfied sound Beast made. His ‘oh my stars and garters’ sounded pleased enough as though he had done it himself. I suppose in a way, he had. He’d been my teacher for years, after all.

With Logan, Beast, and Jubilee trailing after me like an admiring comet, I made one helluva entrance.

'Ro hadn’t called out everyone into full X-gear, but I could see everyone assembled in the hallway as I flew in. It was pure showing off, but I landed in front of her perfectly (even Carol snorted in amusement at that), meeting the de facto leader of the X-men as an equal for the first time in my life.

It was petty, sure. It was shitty, definitely. But fuck me, was it fun.

“Hello, Marie.”

“Rogue,” I corrected. I could feel Charles’ approval in my head, and knew Logan was smirking at them for all that he was worth. It had finally clicked. I was not anyone’s burden. I did not exist to hide away, to keep myself locked away from everything that went on.

I was no longer an afterthought.

The silence dragged for longer than was polite. I got the impression that 'Ro was letting me make my point for the other mutants to understand that I was here. Lord knew Bobby would need me to make it clearly for it to stick.

“Rogue,” she echoed, sounding pleased. “Welcome home.”


 

Logan

I knew I was making the kids nervous, and didn’t much give a fuck. Everything here made me twitch. Somehow, even with everything that had happened, knowing that Wheels would never come around the corner to greet me again jarred me enough that everything still seemed off.  Marie had gone with Beast down into the labs, and had pretty much left me to my own devices. Storm had called a debrief once they returned, but I had so much restless energy that I could barely keep still. I found myself roaming around the mansion, taking it all in.

Classes had been canceled for the afternoon, so there were more children around than normal. The kid had told me that Storm had not bothered to send home any for holidays; having preferred to not break up what sense of familiarity and routine her students had.  Still, with so few X-geeks around, and with business to see to, it seemed inevitable that they wouldn’t be able to teach and do X-men business.  I also knew that as soon as Marie figured out that she was honestly needed here, there would be no way that I’d be able to pry her out of this place with a prybar, no matter how nice my cabin had been.

The memory of her flying - flying!- into the mansion had made me feel just so goddamn proud of her. This was a confident Marie and god help anyone who didn’t get the memo.

“Hi, Sugah.”

I refused to admit that the sound I made could ever be called a squeak, but the twitch of Marie’s lips gave me away. She stepped into my space and fitted herself in my arms, and Jesus God I was so fucking grateful . “Hi yourself. I take it Beast had good news?”

“Well, I’m not pregnant.”

I choked.

She smiled. “Not yet, anyway.” She almost seemed to not realize that she’d knocked me on my ass. “‘Ro wants us all in the meeting room asap.”

“Right.” Right. I managed to calm my whirling nerves. I dispelled the urge to pop my claws and followed her to the conference room. I don’t think I was supposed to hear her mutter, ‘Sooner we get this shit over with, the sooner I can see what you look like in my bed.’ but it made it difficult to concentrate on anything but her perfectly heart-shaped ass as I went into the conference room and sat down.  I managed to focus, but not gonna lie. It took a bit of effort.

This whole setup  was eerily reminiscent of the last time we were here.

Storm sat down gracefully, and everyone stopped talking long enough to nod at her.

“I wish to formally welcome both Rogue and Wolverine back to the X-men. I realize that your joining us again is not inevitable. I wish to make it clear, especially after the way you both have been treated, that you, Logan, and you, Marie, have a home here for as long as you wish, and are under no obligation to join again.”  She smiled a little wanly. “We owe you a debt of gratitude that--”

“Oh stop. You don’t owe us anything.” Marie sounded uncomfortable, and I could see how the effacive words could make her feel. I crossed my arms over my chest, frowning a little. It wasn’t subtle, but it wasn’t meant to be.

Storm nodded to acknowledge her words. “Still, I am so sorry that you had to go through that alone. Beast filled us in on what happened at the base.”

Marie reached out and I brushed her fingers against mine. More than one shocked inhalation and surprised gaze made its way around the conference table. I didn’t miss the smug little smile Marie shot at her knees, and goddamnit I knew I was fucked, because while everyone knew I was a possessive bastard, the fact that Marie was just as much of one was doing things to my heart that was probably not normal.

It hit me then, just how far we’d come in such a short time. I had to breathe for a second, overwhelmed. I wasn’t the type of guy who often got exactly what I wanted. The fact that she was here? That she was with me? It was impossible to describe.

The Furball cleared his throat and pushed his glasses back up on his nose. I opened my eyes and stared at him, grateful for the interruption.

“If I may, our Rogue has given me permission to share with you a few details of her medical checkup.”

I watched as people straightened up and took notice.  

“Rogue is fully in control of her mutation. She absorbs the powers or memories of any person touching her skin. Before, it was dangerous for the other mutant; now she can take as little or as much as she needs, with no ill effects to her or the other party. As you are aware, she has had the Professor in her mind for several months, as well as Magneto.”

“Erik. He’s not . . . it’s different. Not the Magneto you know. I believe that I’ve already said this?”

Beast nodded. “Erik, then. My apologies. The three of them managed to not only subvert the Dark Phoenix with the help of a Jean Grey from an alternative universe, but they’ve completely destroyed the Shadowbeast, and. . . Stryker is also dead.”

The Bamfboy whistled, impressed.

I felt it important to remind them of one simple fact. “ Marie did that. The girl most of you wanted to kick to the curb.”  I felt her hand high on my thigh, and I subsided, stifling my glare. After a week spent learning nearly everything there was to know about each other’s bodies, this new, sexually-confident Marie was probably gonna kill me.

“Indeed. It is also worth it to note that her cell growth has slowed way down, not quite to the Wolverine’ level.” The furball seemed to almost wiggle in his chair, excited by a mutation-related mystery. “Her body chemistry is like none that I have ever encountered. Perhaps it was the Cure. . .” He trailed off.

“The Professor just said, ‘ believe that this change was perhaps a parting gift from Jean.’” Marie’s sweet voice sounded a bit doubtful, and I watched as she got that listening look on her face that meant she was talking to her mental visitors.

“Uh. . . I have a question.” Jubilee spoke up, nervously sparking her fingertips. “How are you gonna get those guys out of your noggin?”

Storm shifted slightly in her seat, and all eyes immediately turned to her. “I have a debrief on that, but first I must impart some information. Hank, are you finished?”

“I am.”

Storm nodded, looking at Marie. “As you are aware, Destiny was responsible for your kidnapping. What you might not be aware of is that Raven is her daughter.”

My eyebrows rose to my hairline, and with me, that was a real neat trick.

“Destiny lied so that a distraught Mystique would get to meet her daughter; you, Rogue.  The mutation that had her convinced that you were in danger was such that it showed her the future that would occur if nothing significant changed it.” Storm smiled a little sadly. “Your actions changed indeterminately that future she saw.”

“Wait. Mystique is my . . . mother?” Marie clenched my hand so tightly that I was afraid she’d draw on my claws.  

“Indeed. And Destiny was your grandmother. It is perhaps. . . understandable why she was so adamant for your safety.”

“Wait. You said that Raven was her daughter,” Marie whispered, rubbing her forehead. I didn’t know if she was just recovering from the shock, or if the fuckers in her head were givin’ her a headache. “Raven, not Mystique. Shit. Shit. Logan told me. . . he told me this, when Remy. . .”

Storm looked immeasurably sad. “You’ve met her before, Rogue.”

Marie’s eyes drifted shut, and she looked so sad that it pulled at my heart. As though Storm’s words were a sledgehammer, I realized exactly why Marie was so upset. I remembered the bar I’d first saw her again, back in Colorado. Muties . Raven. Her and Remy kissing and my own jealousy. Me throwing the words How long have you been so buddy-buddy with fuckin’ Mystique? like a punch. Jesus Christ.

“I am afraid I have more news, but this I must tell only you, my dear.” I’m sure the look on my face was less than pleasant, but Storm just blinked at me, unimpressed. “The debrief is therefore over. Are there any questions?”

I half-listened as the rest of the X-Geeks peppered Storm and Furball with questions. Marie’s foot was tapping nervously, and I could tell that she was having one helluva interesting conversation with Wheels and Erik in her head. Storm fielded questions like the leader she was, and eventually everyone filed out. I stood up, brushing my fingers over Marie’s shoulder. To my surprise, she pressed down on my hand.

“Please stay.”

I sat back down, feeling smug. Again, subtly was not my forte. I’m sure Storm had no problems picking up on what I was feeling.

“This news is more for Charles, than you.” Storm sighed. “As of an hour ago, Magneto has been spotted. I do not know how long he will remain there. I wish you, and Logan, of course if he is amiable, to go bring him in.”

I blinked, shocked. Marie gaped outright.

“An hour? Where is he at? How do we know he’ll still be there?”

“His location is an apartment in Manhattan. He has not done anything to hide, and there is no indication this is a trap. If you do not wish to---”

“No, no,” Marie said hurriedly. “It’s fine. Charles wants to talk to him anyway. Logan?”

I nodded. “I guess we’re goin’ to the City.”


 

Marie

Logan shut off the car, and the two of us sat there, listening to the engine tick as it cooled. My head hurt with all the information I’d received, and I was more grateful than I could say that Logan was here with me. That he hadn’t left my side.

The street was crowded with apartments, most of which didn’t look all that habitable. Quite a bit different than Magneto’s cave, or the house I’d seen in Charles’ mind. I got the impression of Erik and Charles sitting together on a couch, hands locked together. Emotions were usually easy for me to pick up from them, but this was. . . strangely quiet. Blank almost. They seemed sad at realizing that this was the state that the great Magneto had come to.

“Charles’ plan was to find a body without a consciousness. A mutant. He had an.. Well, he called her his associate, but I get the impression that she was some kind of doctor or somethin’. . . anyway. She was gonna help him find a body, and then get him from my head into the other head.”

Logan turned in his seat to look at me, listening. I didn’t know why I was babbling, but I did know that I was afraid of what I would find in that crappy little apartment. I had no idea how much of this Logan had suspected, how much he knew, and how much he was in the dark about Charles’ plans. With one thing and another, I had never gotten him up to speed.

“You left Colorado without meeting up with her?”

“Yeah. Remy worked with her, and now. . . well, now I wonder how much of all of that was just contrived. I’d been so happy to have a job, and Raven was just so. . . nice. . .”

Logan scratched one of his mutton chops. “Honey. . . she had the cure. As far as I know, she’s still without her powers. The Mystique we knew. . . well. She had a chance to get to know someone amazing. I can’t blame her for that.”

We hadn’t talked much about the revelation of my -mother- on the way here. It was impossible for me to forget the way that Raven had appeared practically out of nowhere, offering me a job when I desperately needed one. How I’d lied to her, and given my name as Anna. I remembered the humans that I had lived with for so long, that had been so horrified when I had hurt that boy so long ago. I didn’t talk much about that. They hadn’t been bad and believe me, I knew kids who had had it much worse than me growing up, but there were lots of reasons  I had run away. If Mystique hadn’t been fighting with Magneto against the X-men, well. Maybe we could have. . .

I sighed. “Sittin’ out here ain’t gonna get much done.”

Logan bent over and brushed his lips over my forehead, and my heart flipped in my chest. “I’ll be with you.”

I wanted to tell Logan that I wasn’t afraid of Magneto. He was an old man, without any mutation. But, I also couldn’t hide from the fact that mine had come back. His could have too.

We walked up to the apartment building, and Logan flinched. Even I could smell the urine and filth in the hallway. It was less an apartment, and more a series of rooms to rent, and the dilapidated, dimly lit staircase left nothing to the imagination.


It was all very sad.

The ‘Lehnsherr’ written on the door was almost the worst part. The card was stained, and had gotten wet at one point, so that his name was blurry.

Erik? Charles?  I couldn’t help it. I was suddenly nervous.

Ja mein Kind

Yes, Marie.

I’m. . . I’m not sure what’s gonna happen here.

Erik’s eyes were very blue as he sent an image of his calm gaze. We will not leave you, Marie. And I do not believe he would hurt you.

Charles nodded. Indeed. You have the Wolverine with you, and your own not-so-inconsiderable mutation. You will listen, and we will not let his mind overwhelm you.

I breathed shakily, then knocked on the door.

“Yes? Enter.” The voice was soft, and fragile sounding. I watched as Logan inhaled, checking his senses against the closed door. He nodded, and opened the door so that he would go in first.

Magneto lay in his bed, a thin sheet pulled up over his legs, with an afghan over his feet. He looked. . . broken. Old. His cheeks were pale except for the two flags of fevered color high on his cheekbones. His helmet by his bed, covered in dust, dilapidated and unused. It struck me then that for him, with the Professor dead, he had no reason to use it, and somehow that was sadder than anything.

“Hello, child. Logan. Come, sit.” There was only one chair, so I perched on the corner of his bed. Logan took the chair, making sure that I was touching him. He crossed his hands over his chest and raised one eyebrow, indicating that this was my show.

“Hello, Magneto.” No harm in being polite. He struggled to sit up, and I realized that he didn’t have the strength. I helped him get more comfortable, and he was clearly so thankful for the small kindness that his piercing blue eyes were wet with tears.

“Erik, child. I. . . Please rest assured. I have no mutation. I have indeed been, ‘cured’. Ironic after all of these years, no?”

His voice was soft, lilting with a faint German accent. I found myself feeling so sorry for him that it shocked me. “Me as well, for a time.”

He made a small pain sound, and reached out to touch my hand. I took it, ignoring the way Logan shifted in his chair, obviously nervous at the contact. “I do realize that there is no forgiveness for me- no absolution. That was not my intention when contacting Storm. My crimes against all of you are far too many to enumerate. In fact my only regret is. . .” His voice cracked. “I only wish I could tell Charles. . .”

Magneto broke into a coughing fit and for a moment I froze, watching before I tried to help him.  I knew at once what I had to do, and from the resigned way that Logan stared at me, I knew he understood. I heard Logan scramble to find water for the old man on the bed, and Erik drank, grateful, before lying back down as though the brief coughing fit had exhausted him.

“Erik, may I share your mind?”

Erik breathed in a shaky breath. He nodded, closing his eyes, a tear slowly snaking down his paper thin, wrinkled cheek.

I licked my suddenly dry lips. I’d seen Charles do this in my mind, and I’d felt and experienced it as a ‘passenger’, but driving the bus myself was new, and a little scary. .  I touched my temple with one finger, ignoring Logan as he caught his breath. With my other hand I reached out to touch Erik’s temple, focusing in and--


 

--- I opened my eyes in the Mansion’s library.  Magneto stood in front of me. He looked powerful, strong, but was still the same version of Magneto who lay in front of me in his sickbed, back in our reality. He spared a kind smile for me, but it was obvious that he was looking for something.

Some one.

When he found him, watching the realization on his face nearly broke my heart. He looked devastated . He stared at the younger Charles in front of him so intensely, I was certain he was memorizing every detail of my friend’s face. When his gaze cut to the younger version of himself sitting next to Charles, and their body language- he had to clamp his lips together over a sound that was filled with such loss it made my own heartbeat pick up in my chest.  

“Hello, Erik.” Charles stood and took the three steps forward. Magneto’s lips trembled with emotion, and when Charles stepped into his space to hug him, Magneto’s face crumpled. Charles held him as Magneto’s body shook with silent sobs, and I had to look away.

My gaze was caught by Erik, who stared at the two of them. His face was carefully blank, but it wasn’t too hard to guess what he was feeling. I could see a muscle ticking in his jaw, and something made me want to walk over to him, so I did, touching his shoulder with my hand. Every muscle in his body was tense as he fought not to break down. At my touch, he relaxed fractionally, and the muscle stopped twitching.

“My dear friend,” Charles stepped back and gave Magneto a handkerchief to wipe his face. “I am so glad that you are here.”

“It’s only temporary--!” I blurted, worried that any of them would think that I stole Magneto’s consciousness or something. “I’m sorry- but we only have a few minutes.” I could feel Magneto and my reality like a heavy weight on my shoulders. I knew that we were alive; I could feel our hearts beating, our lives continuing, but it seemed less somehow. Like a television on in the background, while trying to have a conversation with someone in front of you.

“I am grateful for those few minutes.” Magneto breathed deeply, straightening his shoulders. Charles reached out to hold his wrist, and it was like that small gesture gave Magneto strength. I could see his shoulders and spine straighten.

“I wish to inquire, what do you expect will happen? Is your hope to use my body in truth?” Magneto directed this directly to Erik who looked as though he’d been slapped. Magneto held up one hand. “Peace. I would gladly offer it to you, but I am old, my friends. Old and exhausted, and close, I think, to rest.” A funny little smile quirked his lips. “If you and Charles are together in the way I hope that you are, I don’t believe my old body is nearly as athletic enough.”

Charles’ cheeks turned pink and Magneto gazed at him out of the corner of his eye, obviously delighted.

“No. While my initial plan was to inhabit another body. . . well.” Charles smiled a little sadly, staring at his Erik. “I no longer wish to leave. I would have no life without him in it.”

“Ah.” Magneto’s face grew tight with remembered pain. “Watching you perish.. Watching the Phoenix. . .”

Charles tightened his grip on Magneto’s wrist. “No, old friend. I knew what she planned. I had time to fling my consciousness into someone who was strong enough to withstand it.” Charles’ gaze met mine, and I smiled, acknowledging the compliment. “You were not at fault.”

Magneto sighed with palpable relief. I couldn’t imagine what he must have been going through, “Cured”, powerless, sick, and thinking that he was the reason for his best friend’s death.  Magneto broke away from Charles and walked to me. I was startled when he embraced me, but pleased at the gesture. “We make choices my dear. They cannot be undone but I take solace that a little piece of me found some bit of happiness. The irony is that it is in you where some piece of me found a true and happy home. I won’t ask for your forgiveness, but I do beg your understanding.”

I nodded, and feeling greatly daring, leaned forward to kiss his cheek.

Magneto made a startled sound and smiled at me, eyes bright and dancing.  He turned to Erik and bent to whisper something in his ear that was too low for me to catch. Whatever it was caused Erik to flinch, and the tips of  his ears to turn bright red. Magneto then turned back to Charles and kissed his forehead.

“Goodbye, old friend,” Charles choked, voices thick with emotion.

I sighed and knew that was my cue. Within one blink and the next, I gathered my mind and pushed out and down and blinked open my eyes to see that Magneto had passed away, a faint, fond smile on his craggy, peaceful face.


 

Logan

Storm had given us the night off. Ostensibly to recover from Marie learning about her mom, and the death of Magneto, but also to give us time together.

We’d been moved to my old room. As one of the rooms belonging to a teacher, it was larger and more comfortable. Since it was mine, it was well enough away from all the bullshit; I’d always liked my privacy, and now with Marie here snuggled into my bed, I wanted nothing more than to stay here a good, long, while.

Not long ago, Furball had told us that they planned to hold a service for Magneto. Marie had insisted that they bury him by the Professor, and they had all agreed. Even when we’d fought as the bitterest of enemies, the respect for the friendship between the two old men had always been strong.

A low growl jarred me out of my thoughts, and I rolled my eyes when Marie’s dog, Killer, the little fucker that had pissed on my things weeks ago, circled a few times before laying down in the scant space between the two of us. Apparently Jubilee had kept him for Marie, and once the little shitstain had realized that Marie was back he’d barked his damnfool head off.

When I refused to budge, Marie had just snorted a laugh and moved him so he was down by our feet. I could almost feel the affront from the little dude. Marie just rolled her eyes when I growled a little, and the little shitball just showed me his ass, burrowing into a comfortable position.

We listen to the sounds of the Mansion settle around us. From far off I can hear the thunder of feet as kids move from the common areas to their dorm rooms.

“Do you miss our cabin?”

“Not really. . . I mean, I’d go back there with you in a heartbeat, but.” Maybe it was the quiet night, or the way her hair smelled faintly of orange and jasmine, or the way her pinkie finger lightly brushed back and forth over my hip bone. I knew right then that I had to say everything; I had to make her understand that being here with her was not a hardship. She had so little love in her life. It seemed incredible that she wanted any sort of life with me of all people.  “Marie, darlin’. I love you.” I stared into her gaze from the shared pillow. “I love you. The only reason I’m not askin’ you to marry me is that. . . well, even though it’s only been a few weeks, it feels like I’ve known you for years, and with me that’s really sayin’ something.” I watched her eyes grow wet with tears, and the smile bloom, trembling, on her pretty lips. “I don’t think it’s fair for you to tie yourself down to. . . to me.” God, it was hard to say all this. It was hard to make these words come. . . but then again, this was my Marie. She needed to hear this, more than I needed to panic because I was showing her my whole heart. “I love you, I want you, but. . . I don’t know if bein’ with me will make you happy.”

To my surprise, she rolled us so that I was on my back and she was looking down at me. I heard the dog give a wuft of shock as the blankets sent him flipping to the very corner of the bed. Her hair fell down around us, and all I could see was the warm brown of her beautiful eyes. “Logan, sugah. You loved me when I was powerless. You loved me when I was confused, and you saved me when I was just a dumb kid. I don’t want easy.” She bent down to brush her lips against mine. “ I like difficult. And I love. You .”

I’d spent hundreds of years building up walls to keep people from seeing how weak or vulnerable I was. With three little words, what was left of those walls shattered into nothingness.

“God Marie. I love you so much. I was too afraid to take something so sweet, even though God knows I’m the most selfish bastard alive. If you’re sure you want me... then you have me.”

I reached up and she tilted her head so that i could get to her mouth, and it was the sweetest of kisses. I’m no poet, and just the promise behind the meeting of our lips made me want to compose entire arias and epics for her. I wanted to slay her dragons, then sit back and watch her not only slay mine, but salt the earth with their remains. I loved her so fucking much, I knew I’d spend the rest of my life trying to feel worthy of the gift she’d given me.

I broke away from the chaste little kiss to tell her this, but before I could Jubilation Lee burst through the door, suited up in her X-gear.

“Marie! Logan! Time to shift your asses! I uh.. Oh. Er, sorry.” Jubilee turned away, wincing.  “Storm said you’d want to be in on this. It’s something called... Mojo, and he’s done something crazy at a Yankees game!”



THE END

 

 

Began August 2014; End May 2019