Marie, aka Rogue, part time teacher, part time superhero, full time mommy, made her way into the silent apartment she shared with her husband of almost five years, and their two year old daughter. The apartment was unusually quiet, even considering it was after Rosalie’s bedtime.

Quietly tiptoeing through the apartment, in search of her family, Marie caught a flash of white out of the corner of her eye.

On the side table by the door was a piece of art paper. Turning it over, eager to see what Logan had left for her, she saw a sketch of little Rosalie. Her bottom was wedged into the waste paper basket, that usually sat by the desk. Her chubby little legs were sticking out from under her chubby little arms, and it was all topped off with an impish grin on her chubby little face. Daddy’s keys were clutched in one of her hands, except the one that was in her mouth...

Trying not to giggle at the adorable image, Marie placed it back on the side table and continued her search.

On the little kitchen table, tucked into the tiny kitchenette in the corner of the room, was another picture. Rosalie in her highchair, drawing finger patterns in a pile of semi solid food that was dumped out on the table in front of her. Her bowl was upside-down on her head, little bits of food clinging to her curly hair, and her spoon was being waved around wildly. All while the tot laughed gleefully.

That must have been a fun mess to clean up, she thought to herself, as she set the sketch aside.

On the coffee table there was another piece of paper. This one showing Rosalie sitting on said coffee table, building a tower of blocks. She was pointing at the tower, as if showing it off. The picture capturing the moment her finger had hit the tower and it had started to topple.

In one corner there was a second face drawn. The expression of surprise little Rosalie’s face held in that image must have been her reaction when her tower collapsed.

On the floor beside Rosalie’s beanbag was another picture. In this one the tot was lying on daddy’s chest, pointing at the words on the page of the storybook he was holding aloft as he was obviously reading to her. Rosalie loved nothing more than to help ‘tell the stories’.

As she passed the bathroom, Marie stuck her head in the door, grinning when she spotted another page on the vanity counter.

“Oh dear,” Marie murmured with a giggle, as she took in the image of Rosalie, her mouth a tiny ‘o’ of surprise as Marie could hear in her head the little girls adorable ‘uh oh’. Her little dress was pulled up to her chin as she looked down... at the puddle she was standing in. It looked like toilet training was still definitely a work in progress.

The next room on her search was the nursery, the most likely place to find Rosalie at this time of night. It however was empty. Except for another page, laid in Rosalie’s empty crib.

Marie almost lost her composure when she spotted the look on her daughter’s gorgeous face. She was dressed in her little pyjamas, her tiny bare foot on prominent display, where her leg was flung over the side of her crib. She had been caught, in the act of climbing out of her crib; a trick she had just picked up in the last week.

‘Time for someone to get a big girl bed... or a cage’, Logan had scrawled in the corner.

And that left only one room for Marie to look now, in her search for her adventurous little child. Mommy and daddy’s room.

She pulled out her phone, opening her camera as she let herself into the silent room. She couldn’t draw like Logan could but the image before her was too adorable to miss.

Marie’s pillow was in the middle of the bed, Rosalie hugging it from one side, her face resting directly across from Logan’s, as he hugged both the pillow and Rosalie from the other side. Both were fast asleep, a sight so serene Marie wasn’t even bothered by the fact Rosalie was drooling on her pillow.

Logan stirred when Marie knelt on the bed behind him. She leaned forward to place a kiss on his shoulder, before he turned his head and kissed her square on the lips.

“How was daddy and Rosalie’s first weekend without mommy?” she whispered, as she rearranged herself to cuddle up to Logan on the bed.

“We had a few minor hiccups, and temper tantrums at bedtime because of no mommy hugs, but all in all, not too bad,” Logan replied, relinquishing his hold on the pillow in favour of its owner. “How was your mission?” he queried.

“Mm, mission was fine, but boy am I glad to be home, I missed you both so much,” she whispered.

“Missed you too,” Logan replied softly, even as Marie quickly drifted off to an exhausted sleep.