Story Notes:
I feel like this one's not as refined as it could be but it wanted to be posted, so here it is!
The first time Rogue went out with Logan - a week after he had returned from his year up North 'chasing leads' from the abandoned base at Alkali Lake - they had been friends, nothing more. She was seventeen, and he still had no idea who he had been, let alone how old he was. Logan had taken her to a rustic little diner on the side of the highway, and over a chocolate milkshake, a beer, and a platter of nachos, they had talked. Rather, she had talked, until Logan had interrupted her melancholy musings by telling her all her friends were idiots for not realizing what a fantastic person she was, and that it wasn't her fault that they couldn't see past her mutation. By the end of the conversation they had both been laughing as they made fun of her so-called friends, some of the things they laughed at were probably a little mean but after the week she had been having it was a welcome distraction.

They went out regularly, whenever one or the other was having a shitty day, or just needed some downtime. They would steal Scott's motorcycle, or if the weather was bad one of his other cars that he loved almost as much, and they would head off. Sometimes just for an hour, sometimes for the whole day. Sometimes they would just sit and talk, other times they would go to the movies, a few times Logan took her to bars with him to watch him fight, and on a couple of occasions she managed to convince him to take her shopping.

The night after her twentieth birthday, everything changed.

On the day of her twentieth all her friends at the mansion threw her a party, and plied her with good food and presents. The next night Logan took her out for a late birthday dinner. It was halfway through the meal when Rogue realised, this night was an awful lot more 'date' like than their normal excursions. She didn't say anything at the time but when Logan stopped outside her bedroom door, after walking her there, and stooped to kiss her softly on her lips, she knew.

She had smiled softly, as the brief kiss ended before her mutation could even tickle, as she informed him she had a good time. That was a nice date, they should do it again some time, she had said as she slipped into her room. Leaving Logan grinning like an idiot in the hall.

The next Tuesday, Logan was waiting at her door to take her out again. Tuesday's became their date night, they still went out at other times but Tuesday’s were extra special.

--

This Tuesday found them wandering through the mansion's rose garden, it was late, and they had just returned from their twelfth date. Logan had finally given in to calling them dates by the fifth, and by the tenth he had admitted his feelings for her, also his worries that he didn't want to rush her, and he still wasn’t convinced he was good enough for her. They were still in disagreement over taking the next step in their relationship, and Rogue was teasingly calling Logan out for being scared.

"I'm not scared Marie, well... not of you... I'm- I'm scared of me, I'm scared of hurting you, I'm scared of scaring you, I'm scared of screwing this up," Logan finally admitted, with a sigh.

"Yeah, it's probably going to be a little scary for me, and probably hurt a bit, and probably be a little awkward, but you know what else it's going to be?... It's going to be perfect, because it's going to be you, and me, and I love you, and you love me, and the pain will go, and the nervous newness will pass, and one day we can look back and laugh at the awkwardness, and then have really hot sex to prove just how perfect we are together," Marie said, pressing herself up against him, as her arms wrapped around his neck, and she smiled up at him.

Logan grinned down at her for a moment, before tugging her fine scarf up over her lips, and kissing her deeply. "It's not going to be awkward baby," he supplied, with a deep chuckle, that she could feel reverberating to her toes.

"Oh yeah, prove it," Marie replied, outright challenging him; she knew he couldn't resist a challenge.

"Hmm, prove it she says... prove it. Well then, you come by my room in an hour and I'll prove it to you, all night long baby," Logan growled suggestively in her ear. "Of course, if you're too chicken I'll see you at breakfast," he added, as they turned and walked back toward the mansion, before heading upstairs to their rooms. Neither aware their plans had been overhead, by someone who had been getting increasingly jealous over their burgeoning relationship.

And now she had the perfect opportunity to end it.

--

She had an hour, an hour to figure out how to pull a fast one on the Wolverine, and put an end to this little fling of his that was taking him away from her. The trick would be fooling his senses. The sight and hearing would be easy enough, she could do that with her telepathy, his sense of smell would be the trickiest one to beat. She was pacing the halls as she thought, when she heard a sound from the laundry. An idea popped into her head and she rushed into the room, hunting for... something...

Ah ha! She found a shirt of Rogue's, well, rather, one of Logan's, but Rogue had been wearing it out by the pool the day before. It hadn’t been laundered yet so it would have Rogue's scent on it. There was also the stash of shampoo and body wash that Rogue used, in her locker in the gym.

With a decidedly evil grin, Jean rushed down to the gym. It wasn't hard to get into the locker, none of them actually locked, and she showered quickly, with all of Rogue's products. Rogue had even been kind enough to leave one of her bodysuits in the locker, it was a little tight in places on Jean, as she was taller than Rogue, though she bristled at the fact she didn't fill it out as well as the younger woman did, before she rushed upstairs wrapped in the Rogue scented clothes.

The fact that someone might see her was dealt with by scanning around her, and telepathically prompting anyone nearby in another direction. She was thankful Scott was out of town this week, as she slipped into her room undisturbed, and grabbed the brand new, wine red silk lace lingerie set Scott had bought for her but she hadn't worn yet.

Casting her mind out to see where Rogue was, she grinned devilishly when she saw the girl was still ‘getting ready'. It was still twenty minutes to the hour Logan had given Rogue, but sweet little Rogue just couldn't wait. She sniggered, as she tiptoed down the hallway to lightly tap on Logan's door. Easing herself into Logan's mind as he approached the door she fed him the image she wanted him to see, essentially, Rogue's face instead of hers.

"You're early," Logan teased, refusing to open the door any wider even as he grinned down at her.

"What can I say, I couldn't wait," Jean replied softly, using her telepathy to distort what he heard, giving her words a more southern twang. There was no way she would actually lower herself to attempting Rogue's trashy accent; even after five years out of the South she still hadn't lost it. "Are you going to leave a girl waiting?" Jean asked impatiently, as she sensed someone in another room further down the hall stirring.

With a smug grin, Logan eventually opened the door wider, stepping back to let her enter.

"Mmhmm, I like this," Logan all but purred a moment later, as he slid his hands around her waist, and buried his face in her neck, catching the scent of Rogue from the collar of the shirt she was wearing.

Sensing time was of the urgency Jean set out to catch a Wolverine in her trap, and the poor man wouldn't have a clue. That was alright though, Jean would be there to comfort him when Rogue dumped him and wouldn't talk to him, oh everything was going to work perfectly.