When Jean finally got back to her room that night, she was surprised to find Scott waiting for her. When he hadn't shown for hours after the initial meeting with the Professor ended, she had gone back looking for him, expecting to find the two arguing over some detail. What she found however was the Professor, alone, who advised her Scott had gone ‘to run some errands and think', which she took as code for 'I banished him until he calmed down'. Charles caught her mental rephrasing and chuckled but didn’t correct her.

When Scott still hadn't shown by the time dinner was over, she started to worry. She had checked the tracer on the car he had taken and located him at a bar he sometimes went to, when he had been having a hard day and needed to wind down. She debated with herself whether she should disturb him before finally deciding to send him a text, just to tell him to call if he needed anything, she hadn't realised how anxious she was until he replied a few minutes later to say he was fine and he would be back soon.

She busied herself in the medical bay with filing that she had been letting pile up, and making sure she had everything she would need for Rogue's appointment the next day. She expected Scott to come and find her when he got back but when her eyes started to grow fuzzy at about ten, and she caught herself yawning for the dozenth time, she figured she could wait for him just as easily in bed.

Scott was sitting on the end of the bed when she opened the door, his jacket and shoes still on, just staring thoughtfully at the floor.

"Hey stranger," Jean greeted, as she shut the door behind her and moved toward him, "How's all the deep thinking going?"

Scott chuckled. "I don’t know why this is bothering me so much," he admitted after a while, "I'm not blind, I can see he cares about her, and she cares about him to, but at the same time... I mean, how well can you really know someone after a month?" he finally asked.

"They've been in daily contact the whole time Logan's been in Canada you know," Jean told him, she herself had interrupted Rogue during several late night phone calls to remind her it was lights out and she needed to sleep. "So, by now it's more like six months, I like to think we knew each other pretty well by the time we'd known each other six months, we were sleeping together by then after all," Jean reminded him with a grin.

"I guess, I just worry that... he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would stick around long term," Scott shrugged, "What's going to happen when he gets sick of being tied down and wants to go back to drifting and 'cage fighting'?"

Jean sighed. "I think there's a lot more to Logan than he lets people see... he hasn't always been a drifter. After the meeting with Charles we all had lunch together, talked a bit more... four years ago Logan lost his last partner, to cancer, they had been together for fourteen years Scott, I got the distinct impression that Logan's 'drifting' was him trying to find something new to attach himself to, and he's picked Rogue, just as much because she's picked him, they fit together in a way I honestly don’t understand, they do seem so different, but at the same time so similar, I think all we really can do is support them. Logan's dedicated to taking care of her, after all, he put her wellbeing and need for education above his own wants and needs when he left her here, that can't have been easy, for either of them, so I don't think we can really say otherwise."

"I ran into Bobby when I got home, he was out the front, apparently he confronted Logan." At Jean's shocked look Scott chuckled and assured her, "It's okay, he's fine, said they just talked, apparently, Logan told him he didn't stand a chance with Rogue, that she'd been waiting for him and would never give Bobby a shot, Bobby was pretty mad, said he considered smashing up the truck Logan had given Rogue but that that would just make Rogue upset, and then Logan would probably just buy her another one and 'make himself the good guy again'... You don't think Rogue's just interested in him for the things he buys her... do you?" Scott asked her, looking worried again.

"No, I definitely don't think so, Rogue's not shallow, she's actually surprisingly deep and philosophical, she wouldn't be happy with just empty things, and I don’t think Logan buys her things to win her favour, he just makes sure she has what she needs, it's just his way of taking care of her," Jean reassured him, "I really do think, you are overthinking this whole situation, they're happy, as odd as the pairing may seem I think it's going to work out, and on the off chance it doesn't, we really don’t want to push her away by being judgmental."

Scott sighed deeply. "Point taken Doctor Grey, I suppose I should try and make amends at some point," he added, as he finally shrugged off his jacket, it seemed he was done thinking for the night.

Jean kissed him lightly before agreeing that would be a good idea for tomorrow, before they both got ready for bed. Tomorrow was going to be interesting.

--

Marie woke at around three am, her stomach was growling, seemed Logan had been on the right track with the snacks. She rolled out of bed, unaware Logan was watching her with an amused grin, before rummaging through the bag of snacks until she found something that looked appetizing right at that moment. She turned back to the bed as Logan flicked on the bedside lamp.

"How did you know?" she asked curiously, as she climbed back into bed with her tasty prize.

Logan picked up the book he had been reading earlier in the day, she hadn't had a chance to ask what he had been reading, she hadn't even realised he had been until Jubilee and Kitty had jumped her, he had given up trying to read shortly after. He turned the book over so she could see the cover that boldly declared 'What to Expect When You Are Expecting'.

"Swiped it from the library yesterday after you fell asleep, figured if I was going to be taking care of you, I should know what I was up against, know your opponent and all," he replied with a smirk.

Marie laughed; it shouldn't surprise her that he would do something like that but it was unbearably sweet all the same. "Was there anything else on the subject? I've already joined some online groups to get first hand advice but some books would be good."

"There were a couple, tucked away in the back, I guess the Prof didn't want to give any of the kids any ideas. This one looked the most complete, though I've skipped several chapters, I figured we’re a little beyond the 'Before You Conceive' and 'Are You Pregnant?' stages, though we should probably go back and read those later for future reference," he added with a chuckle.

"Don't know, doesn't seem like we need any advice on that part, you managed to knock me up in a week after all," Marie replied amused. She idly flicked through the book looking for something to catch her attention, she giggled as she flipped through the pages before handing the book back to Logan with a cheeky, "You should read this part."

He figured he was in trouble from her attitude, and laughed when the title that greeted him was 'All About Sex and the Pregnant Woman'. "Cute darlin," was all he said as he snapped the book shut and put it back on the nightstand, he picked up a second book and handed it to her. "I figured you'd appreciate this one," he commented, handing her a black and yellow copy of 'Pregnancy for Dummies'.

They laughed together for a while as Marie continued to snack. She was flipping through the book when the section on 'Calculating your due date' caught her eye, and she began to read it. "Hmm, I don’t remember when my last period was," she commented absently, pausing to think back to their time on the road all those months ago.

"It was after Grand Prairie, remember, you got all flustered when I bought you tampons," he commented with a chuckle.

"It was more the fact that you threw them at me from across the store that got me," she sulked with a chuckle and a blush at the memory.

"Nah, you didn't start turning pink until you realised what they were," he replied.

"Yeah well, you didn't see the look on the little old ladies face behind me in line," Marie added, which caused Logan to laugh harder. "That still doesn't help me with a date though," she said, still deep in thought.

"Why do you need to know your last cycle? You definitely didn't get pregnant then," Logan stated.

"Cause that's how you're supposed to work out the due date, so you end up being 'pregnant' from about two weeks before you actually get pregnant. I could just pick a date that's most likely when I conceived and add ... two hundred and sixty-six," she said, after consulting the book, "But I honestly don't know the most likely time."

"If it's two weeks after your last cycle it was probably one of the last few days at the cabin, probably that last night, on the floor, in front of the fire... either way that's a good story to tell the kid one day," Logan added with a chuckle.

"You better not traumatize our kids Logan," Marie warned him.

"I was thinking just drop age-appropriate hints until one day the kid realises 'oh that's what he was meaning', and then the kid can never sit in that room again without thinking about their parents screwing on the floor..." he sniggered.

"That is so wrong," Marie laughed, glad that the topic of sex had been taboo in her strict religious family, while that was probably partly why she was a little embarrassed by the subject now at least she had never had to contemplate her parents sex life. She shuddered at the non-thought and quickly moved on to focus on something else. "So, what was the date that last full day at the cabin?"

Logan thought for a moment. "It was the twenty third the day you got taken, we came here the day before, so the twenty first, of November, would have been the last day at the cabin."

"Okay, plus two sixty-six, would takes us tooooo..." She pulled out her phone and ran through the calendar. "August fourteenth, that's a pretty good date, a bit close to the beginning of term, I hope the baby doesn't go overdue."

"We'll be fine either way," Logan assured her, pressing a kiss to her temple. "Now, are you done crumbing the bed or do want a hand with that?"

"Funny," Marie quipped in return, cuddling up to him again after setting aside what was left of her snack, as he put the book back on the bedside table, and flicked the light back off. After twenty minutes she still wasn't asleep, she had a feeling Logan wasn't either, so she began to let her fingers wander over his chest.

"Go to sleep," Logan rumbled from the darkness, sounding amused.

"I can't sleep," Marie replied innocently.

Logan grabbed hold of her hand. "Try closing your eyes," he answered, making it clear he was not going to be indulging her at three in the morning. Marie huffed but tried to go to sleep, minutes later she was out, Logan kissed her head again gently and followed her off to sleep.