They were flying down a highway, enjoying what was left of the fall sunshine, when Logan suddenly slowed and turned the bike down a side street towards a lake. Assuming they were making a touristy stop, Marie just enjoyed the scenery and let Logan drive, shrugging off her surprise when they passed a lakeside carpark without even slowing down. A short time later he turned again, this time into a dead-end street, before pulling into a driveway.

He nudged her to get off the bike, waiting for her to move out of the way before dropping the kickstand and pulling himself off too. He led her up the front stairs of the large multi-level house, before sliding a key into the front door. After turning off the burglar alarm he motioned her to follow him in.

She looked around confused for a few minutes before spotting the amused look on Logan's face where he stood just watching her.

"So, this is...?" she prompted.

"Ours," Logan replied, "It's going to be winter soon, too cold for camping, and I'll go nuts if I can't get out of that teenage hell hole every now and then, running off to Canada isn't an option right now so, I bought us this place."

Marie smiled at the thought that he wouldn't be disappearing for months up north again this year when she caught the end of his comment. "Bought!?" she exclaimed.

"Yep, bought and paid for, all ours. What, you don't like it?" Logan asked, feigning concern.

"No, I don't like it," Marie replied, "I love it! But how did you afford it, these places must cost a bomb."

Logan shrugged. "Beating the shit out of rednecks and truckers pays well," was all he said before he began to show her around the house.

The house was very sparsely furnished, aside from an enormous television, bigger than the rec room TV at the mansion, and a very comfortable leather sofa in the lounge the only other room that had any furnishing was the master bedroom, which had an enormous bed but not much else. There were three bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room, and underneath the house a double garage and a large basement workshop.

"It's kind of empty," Marie commented, once she'd finished exploring, "Did you forget houses are supposed to have furniture?"

"Smartass," Logan replied, with a grin, "We're going to have to go shopping I think, need a fridge for sure, got to have somewhere to keep my beer."

"Ah, I see, the world according to Logan; bed, check, TV, check, beer fridge, oh my God the world is going to end!!!" Marie screamed in mock fear, leaving them both laughing.

Eventually Logan sobered up. "Alright then, smartass, what do we need to go out and buy to get this place liveable according to Marie?"

"Uh... a fridge," she commented after a moment.

"Is that all?" Logan teased.

"Probably not, I just totally mind blanked. What are you doing with all the bedrooms?" she asked.

"We," Logan clarified, "We need to set you up a room..."

"What's the point?" Marie asked, "I usually end up in your bed anyway."

"We at least have to make a show of it," Logan mumbled, before continuing, "You still need your own room, don't want all your girly shit cluttering up my space," he joked, getting a sarcastic 'ha, ha,' in response.

"Okay then, bedroom set, times two because your room only has a bed. Dining table, lounge suite, stereo... what about the other bedroom?" she rattled off a few more big purchases.

Logan just shrugged again. "Also need bedding, towels, dishes, and dinner. Let's go spend more dough."

Instead of leading outside to the motorcycle, Logan led her down to the garage where a beat-up older model SUV was parked. At Marie's curious look he shrugged and answered her unasked question, "If it's going to be too cold for camping, it’s going to be too cold for the motorcycle. Also, this has more luggage space."

They spent the rest of the day shopping, which neither of them particularly enjoyed, though Marie was excited about being given almost free reign to pick furniture and decorate the house. Logan's role was limited to standing near her looking unapproachable, scaring other customers away to give her space, and flashing the plastic when money was required.

Smaller purchases were stashed in the truck, until the boot, and the back seat were full.

"How many damn pillows do you need kid?" He groused, trying to shove the pile of pillows back through the gap they were trying to escape out of, so he could shut the door again.

"At least four," Marie replied, "And there's two beds, so that's eight, plus I got cushions too, for the couch, so I have something to throw at you when you make fun of my team choices. We still need the big furniture stuff but I didn't like anything they had in there," she added, again consulting her list.

"I know a place," Logan said, helping her into the truck.

Five minutes later they pulled up in front of a warehouse that was packed to the brim with furniture if all shapes and sizes. "Go nuts kid," Logan commented, as he opened the door and ushered her in.

An hour later she'd spent several thousand dollars, and furnished the whole house. They had similar tastes, both preferring the simple, rustic look and darker wood tones. They didn't have a truck big enough to haul all the furniture, so Logan paid extra to have their purchases delivered the following Friday, when Marie had the day off classes. Logan never had classes scheduled on Friday, due to his students rebelling against the idea of forgoing their pre-weekend social engagements; his classes were all after school.

"I think we have enough left for dinner, what do you want, and should we eat out or get take out?" he queried, once they were ready to go.

"Let's pick up take out," Marie answered, smothering a yawn, "I'm beat, if I'm going to fall asleep in my dinner I'd rather you were the only witness."

Logan chuckled, he took her lack of suggestion of what to aim for food wise as her hinting she didn't care, and pulled into the first place that advertised a take away option. "Japanese it is, anything in particular you want, or should I surprise you?" he asked, noting she made no effort to move from her seat.

"Mm, surprise me, I like your surprises," Marie answered, though she added with a shout after his door slammed, "Get dorayaki if they have it."

He waved to let her know he'd heard her as he continued inside. Twenty minutes later he made his way back to the truck, to find Marie asleep. He didn't bother trying to be quiet when he got back into the vehicle, Marie was just as light a sleeper as he was so there was no point. True to form she jumped awake at the click of the door catch popping open, stretching sleepily before taking the bag of piping hot food.

"They didn't have dorayaki, I got you daifuku instead," he said, as he watched her scan through the bag.

"Close enough," she shrugged, watching the darkened scenery pass by as they headed back to their home away from home.

Dinner was eaten on the floor in front of the fire place, though Logan insisted it was too warm to light a fire he did so anyway when Marie turned puppy dog eyes on him, compensating for the extra heat by opening windows and stripping off his shirts; a perfect compromise as far as Marie was concerned.

They ate slowly, he'd got a lot of food, chatted about nothing much, and after a couple of hours Marie finally fell asleep, her head resting on his thigh from where she had laid down beside him while he had stared into the flickering flames. Eventually he carried her to bed, the only bed in the house, lying down beside her and falling into a contented sleep, the lack of night noise a welcome relief from the continual hum of living at a school full of teenagers.