Rogue rushed down the stairs toward Logan’s place. She’d told Mr. Summers that she had a prior engagement and she’d swear he’d purposely flown the jet as slow as possible on the return trip.  

After cleaning up quickly, she’d thrown on her clothes from earlier, yoga pants and t-shirt. Way to impress the man in your life. You go girl. She’d grabbed a sandwich from the kitchen and shoved the last bite in her mouth as she went. Even as a non-drinker she knew not to drink on an empty stomach.

Oh Lord girl, what are you doing? More and more she’d cleared her schedule to be with him and she’d noticed here lately that he waited for her even if he didn’t really need her help. They lingered longer on jobs, the soft look appeared more often and he quit trying to distance himself. She’d decided earlier in the week to get a birthday kiss and follow it wherever it led. Her heart was not to be given lightly, but Logan fascinated her, set her pulse racing and put butterflies in her gut. Those little touches he was so good at innocently giving sent an odd sort of heat throughout her body.

At the first knock on the door, he told her to enter. As she shut the door behind her, he moved away from the counter. There sat a cupcake with a lit candle in it. Rogue couldn’t help but smile; he’d bought her a cupcake. The gruff loner of a maintenance man had got her a cupcake.

Past the small cake on the back counter was a whole box of them. These weren’t any old cupcakes, no childish colors, and sprinkles for her. No, these appeared to be an expensive dozen from that bakery in the city.

“Logan, I don’t know what to say.” She gave him a hug and a peck on the cheek. For a second, she thought he was embarrassed, but that was impossible. In the almost four months he’d been at the mansion, he had yet to even show a tiny hint that he could be embarrassed.

“You better blow out the candle before it gets wax all over the frosting.” Walking around the counter, he brought out three glasses and bottles of whiskey. Then he put the container of cupcakes by the other. “I took you for a dark chocolate kind of woman, but thought it best to cover all the bases.”

Rogue took a bite, while he leaned back and watched her. “Aren’t you going to have one?”

“Not much of a cake eater.” Although he was getting a kick out of watching her devour it.

“You want a bite?” She held out the cupcake, licking her fingers as she did so. “It’s excellent.”

Logan swallowed hard; there was more temptation there than he wanted to admit. “No, I’m good.” What happened to his bed-warming plan? What made him hesitate with Rogue?  

He opened a bottle and poured a small amount into one of the glasses. “Bourbon,” he said pushing the glass toward her. “Don’t know if it goes with chocolate.”

Picking up the glass, she winked at him “Sugar, everything goes with chocolate.”

The way she drawled the sugar reminded him of when they met and how he’d wondered if her accent would sound as smooth during sex. He was getting hard from the thought of it. Cursing himself mentally, he poured a second glass from another bottle. This was her birthday, there would be no taking advantage of her on her birthday. He could at least think of someone else for a little while.

“This one is scotch,” he said, setting the glass next to her.

She finished the cupcake and took a sip of the liquor. “I’d have to say the scotch is better with the sugary frosting.” He offered a rye, which she sampled. “Nope, the scotch. Which one do you like best?”

Taking a seat on the stool beside her, he picked up the unfinished drink. “I’ll finish off the bourbon tonight.”

She took another sip of the scotch. “Is that all you want tonight?”

Logan stared back down at the glass in his hand. This was the place he should make his move, in the past he would have. However, this was Rogue, she was a friend now. Those were few and far between for him and if he needed his bed warmed he didn’t need to ruin a friendship to do that.

Impatient for an answer, she’d taken his glass and set it on the counter. Then she stood between his knees, a hand on his sideburn.

“Rogue…” He’d lied to her so much by this point that he didn’t know if he should even dare to tell her the truth. He wanted her, wanted her badly, but not like this. Not when almost everything she knew about him was a lie.

She put a finger to his lips to keep him from saying whatever it was he thought she needed to hear. The man sitting in front of her was the man she was falling in love with, not that persona he put on for the mansion. This was the same man who had trusted her with his privacy and had let her in.

“Marie,” she said firmly.

He knew where he stood with her by the way she said her real name. She believed him to be trustworthy. This was her closest held secret, the one thing she had probably told no one else in years.

Logan settled his hands on her hips, whether to pull her closer or push her away, he couldn’t have said. He only knew he needed to touch her. She took the opportunity to press her lips to his.  

Just a kiss he thought as he ran his tongue along hers. Scotch, chocolate, and Marie.  

Suddenly he couldn’t get enough and pulled her closer. As she pressed herself against him, he remembered the last time they kissed and kept his hands in one place. He didn’t want this kiss to end abruptly.

Her kisses were intoxicating, it had nothing to do with the drink he’d had and everything to do with the whimpering sounds she made. The soft noises were stirring feelings in him he didn’t associate with sex. A driving need, always, but not this kind of caring... tenderness; and it gave him pause.

Despite his best intentions his hand had snuck up under her shirt. Her skin was soft and warm. His other hand found the small of her back, caressing her.

Rogue pulled away, breathing heavily. Giving him a small smile, she slipped her t-shirt off and laid it on the bar. His slight frown concerned her. Had she misread all the signals? She often, even since dropping him to his knees, she got the distinct impression he wanted her. Or was she merely projecting her own desires onto him?

“Logan? I thought…,” she drifted off, afraid she had humiliated herself.

Her nipples were pushing against the silky fabric of her bra mere inches from his fingertips. “No, I want you alright,” his voice was thick with the familiar need.

“If you’re worried, I haven’t had too much to drink.”

“Good to know. But I didn’t want you to think I was treating you like a floozy.” He was dead serious. For the first time he could remember, he was concerned with how his sexual partner felt about the situation. Marie was making sex complicated, but he found he didn’t mind.

“Okay.” Her smile returned. Reaching behind her back, she unhooked her bra and put it with her shirt. She guided his hands to her breasts. “I’ll let you know when you make me feel like a floozy.”

She sucked in a breath as he stooped to nuzzle her breasts. Wanting to encourage him, she ran her fingers through his hair and down over his shoulders, pushing his flannel shirt down. He was setting fire to her insides and she was positive this time she would melt.

She was completely convinced he was the right man, the one she could trust her heart to. He might not understand yet, but he could trust his heart with her too.

As pleasurable as this was, she wanted more. The fire burning inside wasn’t going to be extinguished in this manner. She shoved his flannel shirt all the way off, then got him to disengage long enough to tug off his wife-beater. He pushed down the waistband of her pants and she wiggled out of them, kicking off her shoes as she did so.

He leaned in for a kiss, but she grabbed his hand, pulling him toward the bedroom. He went willingly enough, but he could tell that he wasn’t going to make it out of this in one piece. Every spark that flickered down his metal bones told him so. From tonight on he was living on borrowed time.  

Rogue lay down on the bed while he took off his pants. She watched him with lustful eyes; he could smell the need rolling off of her. Finally, back to the basics. Sex without the emotions was simpler and something he did well. Kissing her, he settled between her knees. She was slick and hot; he slid to the hilt and she tensed. He closed his eyes and lowered himself to his elbows.  

He rested his forehead on hers. “It’s your first time.”

“You thought I’d want soft and romantic,” she teased. Letting out a small sigh, she caressed his cheek. “You’re the first man I’ve wanted to give my heart to.”

Logan dropped his head further and whispered in her ear. “I should have been prepared…had some protection.” He had always dealt with a specific kind of woman, the type that understood what they were receiving from him and he presumed took care of these things themselves. Looking back, that made him a jerk. More like a selfish bastard, because with his healing factor he’d honestly never worried about anything like that, so it was up to the woman to prevent any other consequences of sex.

Rogue could sense the regret in his voice, and rushed to head it off. “It’s covered, so kiss me.”

Obediently, he captured her lips, and she skimmed her hands across his back. He withdrew partially then slowly pushed in again. She broke the kiss with a gasp of pleasure.

Balancing himself on one elbow, he gently moved her knee causing her position to change, so he slipped deeper. He smiled down at her. “Better?” She could only nod.  

Soon he had her moaning with his movements and he was warring with himself. He’d set a slow steady pace that gave her pleasure. Before long he found himself thrusting harder, lost in the feel of her. He’d caught himself when she began whispering in his ear. Pausing he ground himself in reality by tangling his hands in her hair. He returned to the slow rhythm but still couldn’t meet her gaze for fear he’d be lost completely.

Rogue heard the sounds of pleasure he was trying to hide as he panted in her ear. He’d nuzzled her neck and nipped at her jawline when he looked up there was something in his eyes she hadn’t seen before. Maybe love? Could she be so lucky as to have him feel the same way she did? 

Averting his eyes, he thrust harder again. She was breathless but urged him on. Greedy hands pulled him deeper, hungry lips sought out his. He might refuse to look her in the eye, however, she could sense the emotion in his kiss. She knew the leering and comments he’d done before this evening where for appearance’ sake, meant to distance her when she got under his skin. 

This was different for him, softer; he actually felt connected. That day in the boiler room when she said he liked beer and fighting, he hadn’t corrected her. He liked beer and fighting, but he would have added sex to the statement. 

And to be honest, he didn’t make love; he fucked. Hard and fast, with a willing partner. Situations and positions that would make a decent woman blush. Yet he never directed any of that toward her. Even the first kiss had been softer, less demanding than normal.  

In the end, he’d left her lightheaded and feeling all a glow. He’d been above her, his teeth grit as he grunted in his own release. Logan had looked at her then, holding her gaze. She understood; he didn’t think he was worthy of this with her.

He lay with her, arm across her stomach and head on her breast. It was comforting to have her rake her fingers through his hair. This was the first time he’d cuddled with anyone after sex. He’d never felt the need before, but Marie wasn’t demanding anything from him and he knew there was nothing to fear in her embrace.

“Is it always this amazing?” she asked. He could hear a smidgen of awe in her voice.

“It can be.” Inwardly he cringed, he didn’t really know. This was the first time he would even think about applying that word to intercourse.

Sex had always been about satisfying a need. Sometimes it was an urge that wouldn’t subside. Chasing the release often won out over the desire of his partner.

It was different with Marie. All the tender touches, the whispered words, and the overwhelming trust she placed in him made it more than a physical experience. The hunger was still there along with old habits that had to be beaten back, but he wanted to see her satisfied before he slackened his own need.

Rogue sank down into the pillows, getting more comfortable. It had been a long day with a lovely ending and she didn’t wish to move. “Can I stay?”

He raised his head and blinked. Staying after sex was rare. Back alleys and women out for a cheap thrill didn’t invite the ‘sleeping together’ part of sex. Somewhere deep inside a little voice told him he was slipping. The Wolverine didn’t wait four months to get a woman in bed and was even quicker to move on to the next.

Logan ignored the voice. He was the Wolverine and he followed no one’s rules but his own. Marie was the only woman he wanted in his bed. “Anytime.”

Moving, he covered them with the sheet. He curled around her smaller frame. She’d looked at him with love and even said she trusted her heart to him. Was he in love with her? He was unsure; he knew nothing about love.

For now, he was content to learn from Marie. There would be a day of reckoning, but until that time he would try to keep her safe from all his lies.