Rogue stepped into the crowded bar and immediately wished she’d worn something different. A long skirt, tall boots, and a thick sweater; it was the Canadian winter after all and she’d wanted to look sexy when he saw her. However, at that moment she was feeling like an overstuffed sausage and very out of place. 

What was she doing here? Logan had left them. No, Logan had left her. He had told her he loved her, then faked his death and left her alone. She wanted answers from him and damn it, she was going to get them.

Oh Lord, she needed to get a grip on these pregnancy hormones or she was going to have a meltdown. That was something she couldn’t afford now that she was so close. Back at the mansion, Scott had already sunk his teeth into following the trail from the sentinel factory to other projects and had kept her updated on that. She had all the answers she needed, the only thing she needed now was Logan. 

Working her way toward the back where the real crowd was, she could hear the sound of flesh hitting flesh. The crowd cheered at another hit and a body slammed onto the floor. Rogue got close enough to see him through the chain-link fence that made up the fight cage. 

The Wolverine! 

The MC said his bit, stoking the crowd, but her focus had narrowed to Logan. He had his shirt off, sweat glistening on his muscular chest, hair as wild as ever. God, how she wanted to run her hands through his hair, while he devoured her mouth. 

She sighed heavily. It took her a week to track him on the fight circuit. In that time she’d gotten good and worked up over him abandoning her and had practiced exactly how she was going to tell him off, maybe even drop him like a ton of bricks. Seeing him in the cage tossing back his shot sapped all that out of her. All she could think of was how long it had been since he’d made love to her. 

Just a little closer… if she stayed in the mix he wouldn’t see her. Another contender entered the ring. The two circled each other and Logan held back, making a good show of tiring. Rogue recalled this game from his memories. Take a few good punches, throw a weak couple in return, but never stay down. 

The Wolverine knew how to put on a good show and she was enjoying every minute of it. The play of muscle, the smell of liquor, smoke, and sweat. She marveled at the things that could turn her on. 

Then she saw it, Logan’s nostrils flared and he quickly scanned the crowd. A kick to the kidneys and he went down, receiving kicked to the head. Surely he couldn’t smell her, but to be safe, she backed up to the bar.

The bartender eyed her a couple of times over the next hour until she finally ordered water. After plunking down the money for the overpriced bottle, she tried to ignore him. 

“Sweetheart,” the bartender started. Great, Rogue thought here comes the cheesy pickup line or telling her to move along for better paying customers. He handed her the change. “You look like a nice lady. Don’t waste your time, Wolverine don’t do groupies.”

Rogue smiled, a piece of unsolicited advice that actually improved her mood. 




The snow was coming down in huge flakes so thick Logan could barely see a few feet in front of him. It was a couple of miles to where he left his truck, but not so far he would freeze to death before he got there. He’d learned early on not to leave his vehicle within easy reach of a sore loser. 

Tonight’s fights had paid well enough; he might move on to the next stop in the circuit. He shook his head. He’d stayed too long, already he was starting to see things. Smell things was more like it. 

He always saw things. Nice ass, same color of hair minus the streak, lush lips, but never all of it in the same package. This time, though, in the middle of the fights, he would have sworn he smelled Marie. Sweet and tantalizing in the smoky air. That had never happened before. He’d searched the crowd, almost getting his ass handed to him in the process. 

The fragrance lingered all evening, tickling his nose. He’d even stayed after the fights to try and track down the scent to no avail. It was definitely time to move on. 

An old pickup passed him and pulled over on the wide shoulder of the road. It sounded like the one he’d left at Xavier’s. Hearing things this time. That old truck was a dime a dozen, plenty of them were still on the road; that was the reason he’d picked it in the first place.

He wouldn’t normally take a ride, but the sooner he put all of this behind him the better. Besides, he was far enough from the bar that it was unlikely to be someone from there. As he approached the bed of the truck, he heard it being put into park and the passenger’s door swung open.

Logan had a foot on the floorboard before the warm air hit him followed by the scent. Hesitating a moment he slid into the seat and shut the door. There was no reason to avoid this, all his careful planning came to naught. Should have hopped that freighter if he’d never really wanted to be found. 

They sat quietly staring out the windshield, the only noise the idle of the engine and their breathing. Marie’s scent had changed subtly since he’d seen her last, probably why he’d had problems pinning her down in the bar. Something tickled in the back of his mind, but he dismissed it, he’d missed her too much and his mind was playing tricks.

There was nothing he could say to soften any of what he’d done. He’d fucked up what he’d had with her and it didn’t matter the reasons. There were too many lies between them to put things back together. Knowing what she obviously knew, he was surprised she’d come looking for him.

“It’s been a while,” she stated. He nodded, her voice was tightly controlled, and he wanted her to touch him and put him out of his misery. In all his remembered time, women had come and gone, and not one had meant so much to him as Marie. He’d hoped she would mourn him and move on. Find someone worthy of her, a relationship not based on lies. 

Rogue sighed. Another carefully scripted speech gone. She had no animosity toward him. She may have been angry and confused when she discovered the truth, but this was Logan and despite everything she loved him, the man he’d always been underneath all the lies. He deserved to know about the baby and make a decision about whether he wanted to be part of their future. 

Shutting off the engine, she turned in the seat. “I know everything,” she paused, that was a lie, and she didn’t want to start with a lie. “Or at least I know the important parts.”

She scooted close enough to brush the melted snow from his hair. He caught her hand, drawing her closer still, only wanting her next to him. There was no resistance as she slid across the vinyl bench seat to him. 

“I’m not the man you thought.” He’d betrayed her trust in him and he couldn’t think of one reason she should show him any kindness. 

“Yes and no.” He had lied about being a maintenance man, that was true, and she’d said as much. “Do you love me or was that a lie?”

“No! I’d never lie about that.” He couldn’t have, even under torture. “I do love you, ain’t no one but you, Marie. And I don’t expect you to understand what I did.”

She wouldn’t let him pull away. “I saw the report and you’re more of an honorable man than I thought.” Leaning in, she placed a quick kiss on his sideburn. “I get why you didn’t come to me...us. Trust is hard when it’s not based on fact, but I do know I can trust my heart to you.”

He looked at her skeptically and she moved slowly, afraid he might bolt from her again. Rogue brushed her lips across his, they were warm and inviting. He eagerly opened his mouth for her as she threaded her fingers through his hair. These simple touches, his proximity to her, was making the heat build between her thighs. She knew what he could do for her, how he could make this up to her. 

Logan didn’t deserve a second chance. When he left her, it had been the hardest thing he’d ever done. There was to be no turning back, no reprieve from his exile. Yet here she was, holding a penance he didn’t deserve out to him.

While at Xavier’s, more specifically when he was with Marie, he saw a future for himself. Something more than getting through one assignment and waiting for the next. The last three months since leaving, however, had been an exercise in trying to make it through the day.

He tried to slow her down and savor the moment. Not far away there was a bed waiting where he could take his time undressing her, kissing every inch of her body. But she’d already pulled up her skirt and straddled his legs, making him hard at the thought of what she wanted. 

Pushing up her sweater, he ran his thumbs over her breasts. He heard her gasp, and she began to frantically unbuckle his belt. It had been a while, but he didn’t remember her breasts being quite that sensitive. He took full advantage of it and slipped the lace of her bra down so he could graze his teeth across a nipple.

Rogue pulled away long enough to free his cock, then tugged her panties out of the way. Slicking his member on her wetness, she settled down on it. “Oh god, Logan, it’s been too long.” Her hair hung around his face, making him focus on her.

His hands trembled on her body as he caressed her. “You feel so good.” He captured her lips, swallowing her moan as he began to thrust upward. She was right, it had been too long, and he knew neither of them would last. Her hands on his shoulders were shaking, and she was making small noises in the back of her throat. 

She ground down on him, ignoring the bite of his buckle and zipper on her inner thigh. Everywhere he touched was on fire, her whole body hypersensitive to his. His tongue swirled around her nipple and she fell apart, quivering as he came.

Logan rested his head on the back glass of the cab, breathing almost back to normal. She was still astride him, quietly nuzzling his neck. He ran his hands down her sides and over the slight swell of her belly. All the little oddities clicked into place. 

“Boy or girl?” he asked. Listening very carefully he thought he could hear a faint swishing of a heartbeat that didn’t belong to Marie.

Rogue stopped, damn him and his heightened senses. She smiled into his neck, at least his voice sounded hopeful. “Hank says we’ll have to wait until sixteen weeks to find out for sure.”

He rested a hand on her belly, way too soon for him to feel movement. “Where do we go from here?”

Sitting up, she took his face in her hands. “Do you want to be a part of this?”

He didn’t hesitate, “More than anything.” Not an hour ago he’d thought she was lost to him and he didn’t want to give up a second chance without a fight. The doubts lingered though. “I’ve burned a lot of bridges, might not have much to offer you.”

Rogue kissed him. “We’ll think of something.” She laughed, peering down at him. “Mr. Jean Grey says we are welcome back at the school, he can smooth it over.” 

“Huh, I keep underestimating your fearless leader.” Logan held her tight, maybe it was time he started trusting someone besides himself. Maybe, just maybe he could start making amends where it really mattered and build up a life worthy of Marie and their child.