"Logan?' Rogue had heard talking; enough to wake her but there was no one else in the room besides the two of them. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness of the room, she saw him sitting on the edge of the bed.

"You're here," he said though his voice sounded distant like he wasn't really speaking to her. "Stay."

"Yeah, of course," she answered crawling across the bed to kneel down next to him. She was a little confused by this change in wanting her with him but she wasn't going to question him, not right now.

He turned toward her, running his hand through her hair. Logan's hand skimmed her cheek, caressing it, whispering to her. There was a faraway look in his eyes and the name he said wasn't hers.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"Okay," Rogue responded. Could he even hear her or was he having a 'conversation' with someone he was dreaming about? It reminded her of a cousin that used to sleepwalk. Maybe it was best to just talk him through it.

"I made a vow." He moved his hand further down her body.

"A vow?" She jumped at a sudden snikt sound and felt a sharp pain splintering her in two.

Why wasn't she screaming? She should be screaming but she was too stunned. Was this what if felt like when she sucked the life out of someone else? All the energy draining from her and pooling in her lap?

Slumping forward on him, her lips brushed past his ear. "Logan?" her voice was barely audible and her mind was unusually calm.

Logan blinked. He'd been talking to Jean, but that was impossible, she was dead. Yet Jean told him he was too late. Too late for what?

There was something wet and thick on his hand, everything smelled wrong. Looking down, he inspected his hand. Blood, so much blood.

"No." It wasn't a dream, it was real. He retracted his claws only to have more blood pour out. Futilely he put his hand on Rogue's stomach to stem the flow. "No! No! No! Please!"

Rogue felt oddly peaceful and reached out to him, "Shh..." He scooped an arm around her shoulders, cradling her to him. A serene smile formed on her lips, "You didn't mean to."

She hadn't expected to die this way, though given her mutation she didn't figure she would live to old age. The pain was gone and numbness had set in but she was worrying over the distress in Logan's eyes. He'd been nothing but good to her and she didn't want to leave him in such misery.

"I wish..." She placed a hand on his bearded cheek, "...known you before..."

Logan rested his forehead on hers, listening to her fading heartbeat. "I'm so sorry, Rogue."

"M...Marie."

He held her hand to his face, his mind finally kicking into gear, wondering why her mutation hadn't pulled at him yet. Pressing a kiss to her still warm lips, he silently begged whatever deity might be watching them to help her.

The dizziness was odd; death never affected him that way. When he realized it was the pull of her skin, he smiled with relief and gratitude. A bright white halo formed around the edges of his vision and he eagerly greeted the embrace of death if it meant she could live.




"Wake up...wake up!"

"Jean?" Logan's head was foggy and it was hard to move his body. He was on the floor, trying to put his hand to his face but it was covered in red.

"That's a lot of blood." Jean tapped the bedcover.

"She was going to die." He lifted his head to look for Rogue...Marie.

Jean stared down at him from her perch on the bed and shrugged, "I thought you were done being the hero."

"I couldn't let her die, I..."

"You what?" She smiled at him.

"I need to make sure she's okay," he said struggling to move.

"Let her go, it's not hard to die." Jean reached out, "This is what you wanted."

"I can't stay, Jean."

"This isn't going to end well. Everyone you love dies," she reminded him.

"Not anymore," he told her before she faded.




Logan rolled to his side and pushed off the floor. There wasn't quite as much blood as he thought, though it almost was enough for someone to be dead. He made his way to the bathroom where he could hear the shower running.

Walking around the wall of the shower, she was standing with her back to him. "Marie?"

"Huh." She continued to lean, both hands on the wall.

"Are you..."

"I'm okay. There was just a lot of blood." Her pj's were discarded in a wet heap in the corner.

He lifted a hand to touch her but stopped mid-action. Then he made the briefest of touches on her shoulder, he didn't know how to apologize. Not for what he'd done.

Finally, she straightened and squeezed the water from her hair, turned to face him. There was a streak of white in her hair and he wrapped it around a finger.

"It's a fair bargain." Rogue knew she wasn't making any sense when he raised an eyebrow at her. "I've never been able to control it." She stepped closer and pulled off his bloody t-shirt and tossed it over by hers. She then placed a hand on his bare chest, "You fixed that."

Logan cupped her cheek and she stood on her tiptoes to kiss him. When he didn't reciprocate, she backed away studying his face. "I'm alive, that's all that matters," she reassured him. Taking his hand she placed it on her bare stomach, "Not even a scratch."

Rogue's eyes slid closed as his hand moved across her stomach. It had been so long since someone had touched her bare skin for any length of time. The memory of how he touched her the first night when he shouldn't have, made her head spin with ideas of what he might do when touching wasn't an issue.

He wanted to explain. She needed to know what had happened, he needed her to understand he hadn't meant to hurt her. That the adrenaline she was hopped up on wasn't letting her think clearly. That her arousal wasn't letting him think clearly. That a near death experience probably wasn't the best time for sex.

Pulling away, he tried to gain some perspective. Her dark eyes opened, scrutinizing him and he suddenly knew he had few secrets from her. Somehow she knew him, knew what he'd done and still wanted him.

The vapor from the water was heavy with her scent, with her desire. It seeped into his pores, clogging his senses and calling to his feral side. He refused to rationalize this like the first night, to lose himself in lust.

"Marie..."

"Don't worry, I'm not confused. It's all clear in my head." A wicked smile crept onto her lips. "You want this as much as I do. I can smell it." She leaned in and licked his neck. "I can taste it."

Rogue could see that he was trying to remain resolute, even as his eyes darkened with hunger, sticking to some new code he'd needlessly put into place. She also knew his next objection; she was fertile and she knew it had been calling to him for the last three days.

Taking his hand she brought it back to her stomach. "There are ways around that." She watched as his nostrils flared and he nodded in agreement. Calmly she moved his hand to her breast. "I just need you to touch me."

Logan knew this tension had to be taken care of, the need set to rest. Otherwise, it would build until it became a real problem. Placing a hand on her waist, he guided her to the wall. It would be required for support.

Cupping her breast, he leaned down to suck at it before turning his attention to the other one. Taking his time, he licked and kissed his way down her body. He dropped to his knees, grazing her belly with his facial hair. Skimming his hands over her hips and thighs, he was careful to keep as much skin on skin contact as he could.

Her fingers dug into his shoulders as he nipped at her hip. He pushed her knee out and she leaned heavily on the wall. His tongue swept over her sensitive flesh, she gasped and his tongue darted out again.

Rogue was already trembling as he held her hips steady. His tongue continued to work her clit and she scraped her fingernails along his scalp. She listened to his heartbeat racing just as wildly as hers, and the sound of his ragged breathing pushed her over the edge.

He rode out her orgasm with his tongue firmly on her clit, clutching at her hips. Standing up, the taste of her still in his mouth, she pulled him in for a kiss. Eagerly she freed his hardened cock from his pants as the lingering taste of her only intensified his need to fill her.

Logan lifted her so her body cradled his and entered her in one swift thrust. She was touching him everywhere, urgent needy touches. His wet jeans sagged to his knees as he drove into her, instinct taking over.

His blood was pounding in his ears, heart racing in his chest almost drowned out by the sound of hers. She was shaking in his arms, convulsing around him, moaning his name. Grinding into her heat a final time, he remembered at the last moment to withdraw before filling her.

~*~