Logan leaned against the headboard, a fifth of whiskey in his hand. He studied her as she lay curled up next to him asleep. Pushing her hair away from her face, he was struck again by how young she was. How if Rogue stayed with him he would only sully her, jade her to life.

Despite that he couldn't find it in himself to let her go, after all, they'd made a deal and he was to give her a ride to the Yukon. It wasn't far and he knew how to keep his hands to himself, there was no need for this to go any further than it already had. He took another swig, it was a plan he could work with.

A diversion was all this was about, he twirled a lock of her hair between his fingers. It had helped him sleep a few hours so that he didn't envy her peaceful slumber. He skimmed a finger across her cheek, not as lightly as he intended. She blinked sleepily at him and a shy smile crept onto her face.

Rogue stretched, pulling her sleeve down over her hand before resting it on his abdomen. She didn't need to be so careful, he was fully clothed, though his jeans were still undone. When she laid her head on his chest, he settled his bottle on his thigh and smoothed her hair down with his other hand.

She flushed with thoughts of earlier that evening. It was nothing like what she ever expected for her first time. In school, she'd thought she would fall in love with some boy and there would be fumbling in the backseat of a vehicle. Then after her mutation made itself known, she thought the only sexual gratification she would ever have would be at her own hands.

This encounter had seemed an impossibility. And that it would come about in the way it did and with who it did. She felt a slight buzz left over from picking up on his mutation and she suspected that made her experience more than it would have been otherwise.

"Is it always like that for you?" she asked. He stopped stroking her hair and she peeked up at him. He'd been caught off guard by the question. "I mean with your mutation?"

Maybe he should have asked what that draw did to her? What the transfer of energy gave her? "Absorb mutations?"

"Yeah," she admitted. He didn't seem disturbed by that knowledge, but she didn't want it to develop into an issue. "It's just... my senses are working better."

Logan nodded, that was logical enough, probably picked up some healing also. "Permanent?"

"Don't think so. Never held on that long." She sat up, facing him. "It'll fade soon."

She leaned in, pressing her lips to his. He returned the kiss, though not as enthusiastically as before. She'd already used her double dog dare. But she was feeling surprisingly good and had extra energy to burn off.

Sitting back on her heels, she traced patterns, closing her eyes she cocked her head as if listening to something. Using both hands she pushed his flannel shirt off his shoulders. "The soft sound of fabric on fabric, the huff you do when I touch you..." she inhaled and continued on, "Leather, cigars, whiskey, sweat dried on your skin." Rogue opened her eyes, "Me on you."

He set the bottle on the nightstand and tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear. Drawing a line with his finger down between her breasts, he could feel his resolve melting away. Morning wasn't here yet, they had time.

Logan's voice was quiet but seemed to fill up the entire room. "The beat of your heart." Lifting the edge of her shirt he started in earnest, "Rasp of fabric on skin, intake of breath.." Pulling it over her head, "Quickening heartbeat, rush of wetness..."

Her bra was next, "Flush of skin, goosebumps starting to form," He rolled on a condom and she sank down on him. He continued talking to her in the same hushed tones as she rode him. They only paused long enough for him to slip on his gloves so he didn't have to stop touching her every time her mutation pulled at him.

Rogue knew this was testing his stamina. His moments of hesitation were longer even though he continued to murmur to her as he licked and nipped at her breasts. She could feel him examining her, even as she averted her eyes. He whispered his approval in her ear when she convulsed around him, his hands holding her hips as he thrust up into her a final time.

Afterward, when she couldn't find her shirt in the sheets he offered his flannel one to wear. She inhaled his scent as she buttoned it up. It fit him well, but for her, it was like a tent. There was plenty of room and she wished she wouldn't have to give it back in the morning.

She drifted off to sleep enveloped in his scent and thinking she'd made a good bargain. The trip should take a week and she needed to be careful to not be bothersome. Otherwise, there might be no more double dog dares.




Logan scrutinized the situation he'd found himself in as he packed his bag. He'd gotten a couple hours of good, hard dreamless sleep before dawn, unusual for him. At the least, it was a change in his current luck of getting a good night's rest. There were worse good luck charms.

He pushed that thought aside, it was useless to delude himself. His life was on a predetermined path and any fool stupid enough to look to him for anything would end their lives in an unnatural death at the end of his claws. No exceptions had ever been granted to those he cared about.

He should probably wake her and let her get cleaned up for the day. Then while she showered he could walk over to the little cafe and pick up some breakfast for them. Her clothes told the story of lean times, so it only logically followed that she wasn't eating three square meals. That was something he could easily take care of.

Standing over her, he played with a strand of her hair. What was he even thinking? He should cut her loose, let her make her own way. He couldn't take care of her, he was barely taking care of himself. At this rate, he would end up on the side of a mountain playing reclusive hermit.

She stirred, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. "Morning," was her quiet greeting as she glanced everywhere but at him.

He let the hair slip from his fingers. "Leaving soon, best hurry."

"Oh," Rogue scrambled from the bed, stealing a glance at the clock. It was almost seven in the morning, he really had meant they would be leaving early. She grabbed her last set of fresh clothes from her duffle, best make it quick she didn't want to start the day off on the wrong foot.

She hung his flannel shirt on the doorknob of the bathroom so that he could pack it with his things. Jumping into the shower, she cursed under her breath at the not yet hot water. There was enough shampoo and soap left in the little bottles to get her good and clean.

Grabbing his shirt, he stuffed it in his bag once again annoyed with himself. He didn't care how good she looked in his shirt, his entire bag would smell like her and sex. What the fuck was he doing? He snatched his bag off the table and jerked open the door, he was going against his instincts and that was never a good idea.

Hopping out of the shower, she hurriedly dried herself off. She hated struggling with jeans when her legs were still damp, but she felt she had no choice. Stepping out of the bathroom she looked at the clock, under fifteen minutes, not bad. "Give me a sec..." but she didn't finish telling him.

An emptiness settled into her belly. He wasn't in the room and all of his stuff was gone. Rogue could feel the tears start to well up and she forced them down. "Shit, shit, shit!" she yelled stomping into her boots, wet hair beginning to soak her shirt.

What the hell was she going to do? She didn't even know what his vehicle looked like, there would only be a handful in the parking lot but that didn't help. And if he left already...then what, bitch to anyone that would listen about how her ride ditched her? Yeah, right. Fucking great.

Stuffing the last of her things in her duffle, she yanked it off the dresser. Opening the door, she could only stare. There stood Logan, styrofoam containers and coffee balanced in one hand, fumbling the room keys in the other.

He looked her over from dripping hair to death grip on her bag. Huffing he pushed passed her, dumping the food on the table. "We had a deal," he grumbled more to himself than her.

"I..a...thought you were waiting for me," she stumbled around to make her jumping to conclusions not look so bad.

So this was how far he'd already fallen. His word had always been trusted, backed with a conviction that no one questioned. He had used her and left her unsure of his sincerity. It was a good thing that this wasn't a permanent arrangement because distrust was not a good foundation to start off with.

He smelled the lie on her but didn't call her on it, no need to make the situation more awkward than it was already. She putted around getting a towel and drying her hair better, doing what she could to avoid him. When he finally caught her eye he pushed the other container toward her as he took a drink of coffee.

She squirmed underneath his gaze and he immediately knew it was about the money. "Couldn't decide what to get, so it's on me."

Opening her mouth to say something, Rogue quickly closed it. She got a distinct feeling that if she brought up the money he was not going to be happy. The odd thing was she didn't think he would be upset with her but with himself.

Sitting down, she opened both containers as he pulled a handful of creamers and sugar packets from his pocket and set them in front of her. She smiled at him, he was good at reading people apparently. Coffee was only tolerable with a bunch of cream and sugar and of course from his other pocket appeared all the syrup she would need to drown her pancakes properly.

There was enough food in one of the containers to feed her for the day. He really had gotten it all; hash browns, sausages, eggs, bacon, and pancakes. She had no idea how they fit it all in one container.

She dug into hers then after the first few bites decided she'd better pace herself. Making this last all day would help stretch her money even further, so she concentrated on eating the things that wouldn't keep as well. That's when she noticed that he'd barely touched his food. She suspected that there was more than just coffee in his cup, and it had nothing to do with the sugar and cream he'd brought back.

The man had had quite a number of shot glasses lined up at the bar last night. He'd also had a bottle out drinking from it in the middle of the night. Rogue reminded herself that this was temporary and she could make it work. She'd done it before.

"So the Yukon?" she asked trying to get things off on the right foot after botching it earlier.

Grunting, he took another drink of coffee. "Alaska?"

Nodding, she finished her bite of pancakes. "My uncle Eddie wasn't much older than me and we kinda grew up together. When my parents threw me out, he and Savannah let me stay with them. We all used to talk about going to Alaska after his last tour of duty." She sucked in a hard breath, she didn't realize that it still affected her so much.

Logan looked over and noted the tears building in her eyes. Maybe they had more in common than he thought. "Didn't make it back?"

She shook her head no and gave him a weak smile. "Just want a fresh start and see if it was what we thought." With a sigh, she put her fork on the food and closed the container. "You finished?" she asked changing the subject.

"Yeah, you can take it along too." He gave her a few minutes to truly get ready to leave this time before he hefted her bag over his shoulder and followed her out the door of the motel room.

~*~