Story Notes:
In which readers discover that this author is incapable of writing slow burn. Thank you to RogueLotus and Nebelwerfer42 for making this all sparkly. Another thank you to Nebelwerfer42 for the title.
The door opened in a swirl of snow and she stepped into the dingy little bar in the middle of nowhere. The first thing Logan noticed was the rundown heels on a once expensive pair of boots. Her clothes weren't threadbare, but they'd seen better days. The army duffle bag she carried made her look like she was playing dress-up with her daddy's old gear.

Logan could smell the endless miles and sleepless nights on her. Even so, she was like a breath of fresh air in the stuffy bar that reeked of stale beer and old cigarettes. She was young, he could tell by the way she was approaching him, he also knew she hadn't been on the road as long as she wanted everyone to believe. Life on the road had a way of turning you old real fast and that used look hadn't reached her eyes yet.

Rogue scanned the scattered patrons. She'd spent the last half hour walking through the light snow after her last ride exited the main road. Her gaze settled back on the man at the bar in the leather jacket. He had that dangerous edge to him that would've made her mama cross the street to avoid him. Definitely not a local. Probably her best bet for a ride out of there.

"Excuse me, sir." At least her mama would still be proud of her manners if nothing else. "I was wondering if you could give me a lift."

"No." He blew the cigar smoke away from her; no reason to be intentionally rude.

"I won't be any trouble, just want a ride to the next town." More flies with honey Rogue reminded herself. She held the smile even though he wasn't looking at her.

He should've blown the smoke in her face; she might have taken the hint. "Going to pay for gas?"

"Uhm."

At her hesitation, he turned to get a better look. Her smile had faltered some, but she was still full of hope and not much else. If he pushed now she just might leave him alone.

He let his eyes travel down her body, stopping briefly at the cleavage peeking out from under the too small coat. Then followed her curves the rest of the way. Logan liked what he saw, but didn't want to charm her. Not this time.

When he again held her gaze, he made sure his smile was as far from charming as he could muster. "Maybe you can pay another way."

Now that he was turned toward her, Rogue got a good look at him for the first time. She had noticed his unkempt hair hanging down over his collar from behind and he had muttonchops to match. However, the week's worth of stubble told her that he was running from something. Or maybe it was the snide, lecherous smile that didn't sit well on his face. Either way, the comment didn't sound sincere.

She turned up her smile, placed a hand on her hip and batted her eyelashes. Two could play this game. "Mister, you're not man enough to handle me."

He quirked an eyebrow at her, surprised at how easily that rolled off her tongue. Damn it, this was turning sideways on him and damned if she didn't push all the right buttons with the sassy attitude. He chuckled, something he hadn't done in ages, but she seemed intent on staring him down. "Look darlin'." He needed to end this and flexed his hand under the bar counter. As his claws slid out he continued, "I'm not the kind of guy you want to mess with."

For a moment Logan felt sorry. He'd become surly, bad company in general. He watched her eyes go wide and thought he'd driven home his point, that was until she stepped closer.

Her hand shot out as if to touch his claws and he retracted them even faster. What the hell? Any person in their right mind would have high tailed it out of there the moment he popped the claws. She was doing the exact opposite, and the interest she showed unnerved him. She ran a gloved fingertip over the spot between his knuckles.

At a low growl, Rogue reluctantly withdrew her hand. It wasn't clear if he was warning her off, like a dog before it bites; but somehow she didn't think so. The growl had been almost sensual, calling to something primal deep inside her. Every instinct was telling her that he was different, that he wasn't like other men.

Covering her turmoil, she casually shrugged a shoulder. "So we're both deadly."

Logan scoffed in disbelieve and she leaned in. He stood his ground as she placed her lips against his. She was soft and yielding and her mouth opened readily to his tongue. He'd forgotten what it was like to want someone, to feel the draw towards another. The synapses in his brain were sparking, then misfiring.

Pulling away, he felt the tingle from the draw on his energy, even as insignificant as it was. He could sense that she'd expected something more to happen to him. But her interest was piqued and her smell was shifting.

Rogue put her fingers to her lips. He was still sitting upright and looked better than before if that was possible. If she felt the pull, then he had too, but he was showing no sign of ill effects. Though, his thoughts swirled in her head; healing factor and an awareness of the drain of energy.

She whispered in astonishment, "You're okay."

He raised an eyebrow, "Expecting something else?"

She nodded; her hand had left her lips and traveled toward his chest. The need to touch him was overwhelming and suddenly she was aware of her surroundings. Her hand dropped from embarrassment at her brash behavior. "Convulsions, coma, maybe even death."

He eyed her again at the mention of death. Could this woman, barely more than a girl, give him a taste of the death he dealt out to others? Here he'd been wallowing in the self-pity of going on after killing someone he cared for and the woman in front of him might provide the answer. He socked that bit of knowledge away for another day.

She was so close that he could see the want written plainly on her face. He hadn't been looking for sex tonight, hadn't sought out a woman in a couple of months. But now with her so close and her scent tickling his nose, he was seriously considering taking her back to his motel room for the night.

Reaching out Logan tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear; she closed her eyes and angled her head to prolong the contact. Cupping her cheek for a moment he asked, "Do you have control?"

"Not enough." Rogue hesitated, making up her mind about this man in front of her. "But with you, maybe."

Letting his hand drop, he studied her a moment more. He could definitely use the distraction she would provide, but he didn't need to be the one to set her on the wrong path. He was guilty enough of doing the wrong thing, no need to add to his sins.

Tossing a twenty on the bar, he stood to leave. If he left her, someone else would take advantage of her. "Ride's yours, no strings."

Rogue tried not to let her disappointment show. True she hadn't come into the bar seeking a one night stand, however, she would swear something had passed between them. Some understanding. Not to mention finding a man willing to touch her deadly skin didn't happen every day.

As she followed him out of the bar and across the parking lot, she had a chance to study him a little more. His clothing was not quite disheveled but gave the impression of a man beaten down by life. Most people would miss the ease with which he moved. It reminded her of her uncle Eddie, he'd been in the military and had been a fighter with confidence in his abilities. The man before her had that same type of carriage, although something had taken the fight out of him.

He led them to the eight-room motel across from the bar and for a second she thought he'd changed his mind about payment.

Unlocking the door, he said, "Leave in the morning. Bed on the far side's yours."

Tossing the keys on the small table and his jacket on a chair he proceeded to ignore her and sit on the bed to unlace his boots. She put her duffle on the short dresser next to the old TV. Struggling out of her coat she laid it with her duffle and walked toward the bathroom.

Tomorrow she would take a shower, tonight she only wanted to freshen up and go to sleep in a real bed. She pondered her situation. "Hey, uhm..."

"Logan," he supplied from the other room.

"Thanks." She'd swear he grunted as a reply. "I'm Rogue," she added peeking around the corner of the door.

He didn't look her direction or make any indication he thought Rogue was an odd name to have. Most people gave her a funny look, something she'd never get if she told them her given name. But Marie was the gentle, loving person she'd abandoned in Mississippi.

Back in the room she pulled off her boots and checked the soles. They weren't going to last much longer, definitely not to Alaska. Setting them at the end of the bed she sighed, she didn't have the cash for new shoes or even used for that matter. If she could go without eating tomorrow her money might last the rest of the week. At least she had a ride.

"How far are you going tomorrow?" She needed to calculate how long it would take her to get to Alaska. At the rate, she'd been moving it might be Spring before she arrived. Her money wouldn't last that long.

Logan shrugged, "Don't know. Headed for the Yukon." He saw the hope rush into her eyes and he felt like he'd made a mistake. It was on the tip of his tongue to say she could come, but it would be wrong to subject anyone to his self-loathing.

"I won't be any trouble, and I can help drive." Rogue could see him thinking something over.

He shook his head no, but there was amusement on his features. "Girl from the South driving on snowy mountain roads, no thanks."

She was drawing a blank on what else she could offer until she came back to the obvious. "I can pay for the ride in other ways." Standing up, she closed the space between them.

He looked up at her, letting his eyes roam over her body again. He dug his hands into the edge of the bed in an effort to keep from reaching out to her. Her scent tickled his nose again and his blood began to pound in his ears. She stopped at his knees and he could see her uncertainty.

Standing abruptly, he caught her off guard and she stumbled backward. Faster than she thought should be possible for anyone to move, he supported her with a hand at her waist. His grip was firm, a reassuring, knowing hand and his eyes darkened with desire.

"You might get more than you bargained for little girl." His voice was husky and full of need.

"I'm up to the challenge if you are?" She couldn't believe the way she talked to him. Something about Logan drew the sass out of her, she couldn't help herself.

"Always," was his simple answer before he leaned in for a kiss.

Rogue tried to quash the nervousness rising up. The only real kiss she'd had before that evening had ended in disaster. But the expertise with which he slid his tongue across hers kept her from backing away. She missed the warning signs of her mutation, but he didn't and when he pulled away her body was buzzing.

Vague ideas of sex, desire and how good he thought she smelled, dance in her head. He knew how turned on she was, how fast her heart was beating and he liked the little moan she made.

When he'd steadied her and dropped his hands away, she was confused. He wanted this as much as she did and she knew it wasn't the possible dangers of her skin that held him back. She hadn't received a big enough dose of him to know how to get him to re-engage, that left her with the one thing she knew got at him.

Putting on a sympathetic pout, she pinched his cheek like her grandma used to do. "Aw, maybe you're not man enough. Or you're chicken."

Logan snorted at her claim. "What are we twelve?"

She shrugged a shoulder and trailed a hand down his chest. "Do I need to double dog dare you?"

Letting the growl rumble through his chest, he thought of staring her down. It had been so long since... anything really. He hadn't felt anything for months outside of anger and numbness. Though apparently the right attitude and a Southern accent were making him want to lose himself in something altogether different.

They'd need a few items. He stepped around her, reaching for his jacket. There should be a couple condoms still left in the inside pocket and his gloves. He heard her small huff of frustration before he turned back around to see her wet her lips at the sight of what he'd retrieved.

Advancing on her, he slowly walked her back between the beds. "If I remember right, you don't mess with a double dog dare."

Rogue nodded, she couldn't believe this was going to actually happen. She thought she should be way more nervous than she was. Instead, she wanted to drown herself in his kisses and pulled him down on the bed with her.

His muscular thigh was between her legs and she rubbed herself shamelessly against him. His hot mouth was leaving a trail of fire down her neck. She captured his mouth again and was glad that he understood the timing of her skin because she knew that task shouldn't be left up to her at that moment.

Her hands were full of his t-shirt and she wished she'd thought to leave her gloves on so she could pull his shirt off and watch the play of muscles on his chest. He'd unfastened the button on her pants and swept his hand low across her belly. Only a tease really, but she was already coming, grinding onto his thigh.

When she opened her eyes, he was watching her, his hazel eyes unreadable. "Kiss me," she begged.

He'd made her feel good about her skin for the first time in a long time and she didn't want him to stop just because she couldn't hold herself together for the full ride. They'd shifted positions as he continued to kiss her, his erection hard along her hip. She realized he was going to play the 'gentleman' and not require anything more of her now.

Breaking away to catch her breath, she started to shimmy out of her pants. She glanced at him and handed him one of the condoms from the nightstand. "It was a double dog dare."

"Of course," he said with a smirk as she kicked her jeans off the bed.

After rolling on the condom, he carefully arranged his boxers and jeans to give the most protection from skin to skin contact. He kneeled between her thighs and slowly sank into her. He'd never been with someone that he wanted to observe as much as her. He told himself that he needed to stay vigilant because of her skin, yet he knew that wasn't the complete truth.

Her warm brown eyes were wide, but he didn't sense any pain from her and started a slow rhythm. Her eyes slid closed and Logan marveled at the paleness of her face framed by her dark hair. Kissing her, he paused telling himself it was the little draws on his mutation that were leaving him lightheaded and susceptible to romanticizing this.

The way she touched him was different than any other woman and he justified it again. It was the childish way this night began, her inexperience, his desire to escape his painful past or possibly that they'd struck a sort of bargain. Then as if reading his mind she bared her neck to him, panting his name between thrusts and pulling him closer with her hands twined in his flannel shirt.

He knew she was on the edge again. Her body tensing, spasming drawing him deeper with each breathless moan. She pulled him down for a kiss, riding the last of her orgasm and the first of his. Their connection pulled at him, his mutation sparking at the same time, making for an experience like none he could remember.

~*~