“So,” Raven yawned and cracked her neck “I think we're screwed.”

“That's the attitude, sunshine.” Victor grumbled into his coffee mug, laying an arm across the back of Marie's chair.

The sun had barely risen, but most of the house's occupants had been crowded around the kitchen table for hours, racking their brains for a way to beat Essex. So far, they had come up empty.

“Well, what if we hit him with everything at once? How's that for an idea?”

“It's not the worst idea.” Logan said thoughtfully, and Marie nodded.

“We have tried everything else.” She rubbed her tired eyes and leaned back in her chair, her head falling against Victor's shoulder. “But it's not going to be easy getting everybody together. Or getting our hands on a certain something.”

“So, how does that plan go?” John frowned and leaned against the fridge, ignoring Erik as he entered in his dressing gown.

“What plan is that?” He poured himself a cup of tea from the pot and bit into a cold pancake.

“The plan where you shut the hell up and do as you're told.” Victor growled and Marie squeezed the hand on her shoulder.

“Okay.” Logan sat forward in his chair, head in his hands, and began to walk them through it. “If Charles hits Essex with a psychic attack, he should be too distracted to see us coming until it's too late.”

XXXXXXXXX

“Well, that went well.” Victor sank down on the antique couch in Charles' study. His black shirt, crusted with dried blood, clung to his chest as he heaved a great sigh. Charles sat with his head against the cool surface of his desk, a glass of scotch in his hand.

“At least we're all still in one piece.”

“Speak for yourself.” Raven groaned as she entered, poking tentatively at the large purple bruise encompassing her throat. “This eye is sill blurry as all hell, I lost three teeth, and a finger.” She sat and held up her left hand, showing the stump where her middle finger used to be. “It was my favourite one.” Victor took her hand and inspected the bandage.

“Can't you just...you know?”

“Know what?”

“You know.”

“No, I...no.”

“Make a new one.”

“I don't think it works like that.”

“Well, have you tried?”

“I'm tired, so...” She turned her attention to Charles. “Do you think they're okay?”

“I can only hope so.” He lifted hi head as Hank entered with their new recruit. “And how are you doing?” he smiled at the boy. He didn't smile back, too shaken by the events of the last 24 hours to feel the delight he'd thought he would. Instead, he frowned.

“I'm...not sure I know what just happened.”

“If I remember correctly,” Raven took a swig from her bottle of champagne and curled up against the arm of the couch “It started with a jailbreak.”