Author's Chapter Notes:
This fic is back. Sorry for the long absence. But I haven't been totally slacking, and should be able to post regularly for a few months or so.

Once again this is only readable thanks to the awesome efforts of cschoolgirl.
It is a bright, sunny day at the remote lake resort Professor Xavier booked for them. It is the middle of summer right now, yet up here in the mountains, the sun only shines down with a light, pleasant warmth. The venue they are staying at is very impressive for a student summer retreat, even to Marie. Several resident mansions are spread over a sparsely wooded landscape, jutting into a crystal clear lake. There is a large dance hall for festivities, a jetty for activities on and in the lake, and several large open fields for sports or picnics.

There were some from the faculty that objected to this trip citing the heightened tension due to the Lab raid and the lack of sufficient security. The Professor however insisted but did eventually agree to provide his own security in addition to those already at the various properties.

Once at the resort the students were separated by age, Marie’s group which include the oldest students in the school only just arrived at this resort a few days ago, late at night, and after a very rushed departure from the institute. The whole process leading up to this trip was so unlike how the Professor usually handles things that even Jubes is sounding some concerns. But after several nights here, Marie must agree with the Professor that after the lab raid, everyone could use the escape this trip will provide.

Laying back, she floats in the cool lake water, leisurely drifting along with the current, enjoying a respite from the real world with all its obligations, expectations, and her lingering worries over her most recent encounter with Logan. Unfortunately, not everything can be left behind. One of the problems with school trips is that all the baggage at the school comes on the trip as well.

Like the school grounds, the resort was quickly divided between various groups as soon as they arrived. Marie looks to the shore towards the large oak she had picked out, far from the busier parts of the resort and claimed it for herself and her friends. Today just like any normal weekend day at the school, they started their morning gathering underneath a tree.

Unlike the pleasant weather, her friend’s moods are somber. She can see Kitty sitting against the large trunk looking gloomier than ever, the passing of a few weeks did nothing to help her current situation with Bobby and Johnny. While Marie expected this of Kitty, Jubes reaction to the whole situation came as a revelation. Considering how upset Jubes is if she didn’t know better Marie would have thought Jubes is the one who is torn between the two boys.

Rising out of the water, she clears the lake bank in one smooth motion. As Marie walks towards her friends, the soaked wetsuit she was just floating in feels heavy and clumsy on land. Even though she is wearing a swimsuit underneath, she knows better than to show any skin. Her recent rising in the school’s hierarchy brought about a new recognition of her powers. A little comfort or vanity is not worth sending half the students here into a panic. Further complicating matters beyond her new social status is the presence of the newest students in the school.

Leech as become enamored since the Lab raid, and he has been obvious so that his affection has not escaped the notice of her classmates. For now, there haven’t been any untoward rumors involving her. Her status for once is working towards her benefit. And the overwhelming consensus in the school regarding Leech and her is that of a poor sop pining for the moon. That can quickly change once his powers are revealed, something Marie realizes that she must be on guard against.

All the new arrivals, and the recently rescued mutants, were sent along the trip with the normal student body, ostensibly to help them acclimatize. Two of those rescued mutants from the Lab raid, Kevin and Jennifer seem to have taken the leadership of that disparate group. Kitty’s newest crush Joshua is counted among them. They seem to have occupied the social strata that Marie and her group recently vacated. After the lab raid, the girl’s standing has risen if not their popularity. Between the social shake-ups, Kitty’s relationship troubles, and Remy’s more insistent affections, Marie can barely have any time for herself; much less find the time to figure out what it is that she feels towards Logan.

Marie spots a group of about half a dozen students approaching, or more accurately they are ‘the’ group of students. Seven of the most popular, if not the most powerful mutant girls in the school. While she is sure they must have an official name of some sort for their group, as a joke she simply refers to them as the G6+1, partly because they are about as self-important as the international organization and just about as relevant.

Ever since Irene’s visit, there has been a sort of détente between Marie’s friends and the popular clique. The struggle for social superiority aside, both sides recognize a need for the various junior X-men teams to be on speaking term at the very least, and the sudden discovery of Marie’s pedigree spurs it all along. Marie catches Alison’s gaze as the group approaches and flashes her friendly smile. Alison is one member of that group that Marie can actually get along well with, having often commiserated over the familial pressures and expectations that weigh on both of them. In situations like these, she understands the need for Alison to stand with friends.

“Hello,” Lorna, the de facto leader of the group, greets them all in her usual arrogant fashion. Above Marie, Ava from her perch on the tree, huffs at the group of intruders, peering down warily. Ava has been more social recently but Logan’s influence remains strong, especially during moments of stress like this one.

Jubes looks up from her phone and glares back at Lorna angrily and Kitty fails to acknowledge them at all. The reason for Kitty’s reaction is obviously, Bobby hangs out with this crowd, even now he hangs back at the edge of the group with Johnny, and a few of his own friends.

“What do you want Lorna?” Jubes is the first to speak, sending Lorna a harsh look. There must be some history between the two of them. Marie never got the details but right after Jubes was first picked up by Mr. Summers there was an incident involving her and Lorna.

“Oh, just here to watch the freak show, I hear they just let another one out of the cage,” Lorna smirks at Marie and her friends before looking past them, to the group gathering a little ways off under their own tree. Jimmy or Leech as he is popularly known can be seen hunched among the group.

Kevin and Jennifer notice Lorna’s glare first, immediately tensing up. From what Marie managed to gather, there were factions even among the mutant prisoners in the labs. The struggle for what little amenities were available was fierce and Marie can understand their nervousness facing the equally cutthroat popularity competition here at the school. The other kids in the group all new arrivals following their leader's example huddle closer together.

“Really? We are all mutants, all freaks, as far as most humans are concerned,” Jubes shoots back visibly grating at Lorna’s attitude. Out of all of Marie’s friends, Jubes is the most sensitive about this, having been an outcast by herself before arriving at the school and becoming friends with Marie and Kitty.

“We might all be freaks, but some of us are freakier than others.” Folding her arms defensively Lorna looks down at them haughtily and smirks, the group of students with her nodding along in agreement.

“Get over yourself, Lorna!” Jube’s voice is rising in ire at Lorna, “Just because your dad is Mr. Lehnsherr doesn’t mean you own the school!”

“No, but it means she’s far better than some street urchin that crawled in because of the Professor’s good graces.” One of the boys spoke up, Julian Keller. Marie is aware of his family, their near-miraculous rise from rags to riches served as fodder for gossip for quite a few years among her momma’s social circles. Even now rumors still swirl about the Kellers.

“What have you two actually accomplished? Besides having the right sperm donor?” Almost jumping to her feet, Jubes spat back with considerable vehemence. This little quarrel is getting more heated than Marie is comfortable with. Even if Marie herself is far too familiar with arguments like these, she knows her friends have only had glimpses of the viciousness these kinds of arguments can spiral into.

“Lorna, Jubes that’s enough.” Marie stands up herself and steps between the two feuding girls, trying to defuse the situation.

“You’re one to talk little girl, you might pretend to be an Adler but you’re just like her.” Julian Keller steps right up to Marie with a sneer, pointing dismissively to Jubilee, “A pathetic, unwanted child in the care of their betters.”

This is not the first time someone has attacked the circumstance of her birth. Marie has heard it countless times, to her face and behind her back. She will no doubt hear of this many times more in the future, just because she is almost used to it doesn't mean it doesn’t hurt. Her adoption into the Adler family is a sensitive subject for Marie as well as a mystery. As far as she knows her momma is perfectly capable of bearing children but had chosen not to. And at the age of thirty-six, she will still have ample opportunity to do so. Yet Marie is expected to inherit the lion’s share of the Adler fortune, regardless of any natural children Irene might bear in the future.

“That was uncalled for Mr. Keller,” A tall athletic man, with a well-cultured accent interrupts them before Marie can respond. Every set of eyes in the group turns to focus on him. With a confident smile, and a hint of arrogance he steps between the two feuding sides. “Please calm down, there is no reason for us to argue.”

The well-kept blonde hair, the all American good looks, Marie instantly recognizes him for who he is. Several girls and surprisingly Kitty as well gasp aloud what is on Marie’s mind. “Mr. Worthington!”

“Warren Kenneth Worthington the Third, at your service ladies.” Warren is raised to lead. His wealth, his social stature, and his position as a team leader all serve to reinforce his authority over the students. Warren addresses the assembled girls with a bow, making eye contact with every one of the girls present, he obviously knows how to work a crowd. Marie is surprised none of them swoon at the sight of the handsome young man.

With perhaps one of the most eligible mutant bachelors in the country amongst them, whatever tension that existed is quickly swept aside. And a different competition starts among Marie’s peers. The sudden shift gives her the chance to regain her composure and gain some insight to a few of the girls. By the way Lorna and Wanda are acting, Marie can deduce that Magneto could also be interested in securing an alliance with the Worthington heir.

While Magneto might have the prestige to walk among the upper echelon of mutant society, he certainly lacks the money. Having one of his daughters marry Warren would be quite a coup for him. Marie herself is no stranger to this sort of arrangement. She knows there are at least one or two agreements out there for her hand in marriage, Marie is just thankful that none of them are binding. Having been in an arranged marriage herself, Irene is reluctant to force her daughter into something similar, but nevertheless for the sake of propriety appearances must be kept up.

As distasteful as an arranged marriage is to Marie, if she is honest with herself, she must admit that there are far worse options out there than the young, attractive, and charismatic Mr. Worthington. That is not even mentioning the significant wealth he stands to inherit, something of an outlier among the mutant elite. But before the game can truly get underway a familiar voice calls out to her “Marie!”

“Candy?” A pretty brunette in a rather revealing green dress walks up to Marie. Before she can warn her off, Candy walks up close, holds her hand, and gives her a cheek kiss. Marie’s panic subsides when she only gives her two air kisses.

Marie has only met this young lady infrequently, Candace Southern also has been attending the same social gala as Marie since they were children. It was hard to find children similar to Marie’s age to play with growing up as she did, much less a girl, and they’ve managed to get along well. Candy looks Marie up and down, taking in the still damp wetsuit Marie is wearing and a smirk, “My god Marie you look like a secret agent.”

Marie smiles back warmly, she always thought if they had lived closer together they would have been great friends. “No, no, it because of my uhh... mutation. I can’t touch people”

“Oh my lord! Although this does explain the company you’re keeping.” Candace covers her mouth with a hand, then nudges Warren in the arm with a snicker, causing Warren to grin at the both of them, shrugging.

“Excuse me!” Lorna indignantly interrupts Marie and Candy’s reunion and points an accusing finger at Candy. “Who are you supposed to be?”

“Oh I’m sorry, people usually know me around here, and I forgot myself.” Performing a formal curtsy with a flourish, she introduces herself, “Candace Southern, I’m the executive manager of all Southern Leisure Resorts in the New England area, including this one.”

Lorna's eyes widen and seems to be taken aback by Candy’s introduction, Wanda quickly steps to the rescue, “Wanda Lehnsherr and my sister Lorna. Pleased to meet you.”

“The Lehnsherrs? Well, it is nice to finally put some faces to the name.” Candace steps forward to greet each of them with a cheek kiss. She turns to Marie and grabs both of her hands and asks with an excited voice, “Oh, I’m hosting a gathering nearby at my summer house. Say you’ll come, Marie?”

“I don’t know Candy…” It would be fun to spend some time with Candy, Marie is not sure if she should leave her friends alone right now.

“Why not bring your friends too? We can make a day of it.” Noticing Marie’s reluctance, Candy made her an offer she couldn’t refuse. After Marie finally nods in agreement, Candy almost screams in excitement, “I’ll tell my tailor to get ready so we can all match!”

Marie can sense the excitement spread to Jubes and even Kitty perking up at the thought. But an alarm bell rings in her mind. By the tight smiles on Lorna and her group a serious issue is brewing, one Marie is not sure how to solve. Candy obviously wasn't forthcoming with invitations. And there is no way Lorna or Wanda would accept ones from her.

Thankfully Warren seems to read the mood and do what is necessary to erase any slight on Lorna’s group. Leaning forwards, his charm on full blast, Warren ask with a smile, knowing full well neither of them can refuse, “I’m sure you ladies will be joining me for the party?”

“Then it is settled. Come on Marie, my residence is this way.” Candy declares and starts pulling Marie with her, as hectic as the last two days have been, Marie does welcome this new surprise. After a few steps, Marie pulls Candy to a stop. Marie looks back at her friends smiling at them apologetically for getting caught up in Candy’s excitement and beckons them all to join her.

Candy has always been warm in her interactions with Marie. But Marie always wonders how Candy could grow up as she did, in a family that is so bound to tradition like the Southern’s and lack so much tact. Brushing that thought aside Marie smiles to herself, it excites her to finally have a chance to show Kitty and Jubes what a real party is like. They both thought the occasion political dinners at the mansion are the pinnacle of a formal event. Marie just knows a white tie affair like this one will blow their mind.
Chapter End Notes:
Up next: Marie shows her friends what a party is like for her.