Marie was waiting in her room for Irene and the unscheduled meeting with the Professor to end, with some anticipation. Irene’s flight back is not until the early afternoon and Marie hopes to spend the last hour of Irene’s time at the school with her. While she is curious about the meeting but there is something even more pressing on Marie’s mind, her secret identity. Together they decide to spend what little time they have today in the school’s lounge, which also offers a chance for Irene to have a quick snack before her flight. After a bit of small talk and catching up over coffee, Marie broaches the question, “So… the secret is out?”

“Yes, and honestly Marie I have no idea what Charles was thinking, even though the internal security footage is lost, there are eyewitnesses. Couldn’t he have at least bought you all masks?” Irene sips on the cup of coffee Marie prepares for her, “Oh, this tastes wonderful.”

“Thanks, Momma.” Marie takes a sip from her own cup before reaching out and squeezing Irene’s hands, “And I’m sorry, I just wanted to help.”

“I know dear, and you will have plenty of chances, in the future. But right now, not only is your identity out there, the Lab raid is very likely to spark an open conflict. We have to take all the necessary precautions.” Irene fills her cup with more coffee and stirs the cup with a small silver spoon. “It might still be a few more months before your identity is known to the public, but we might as well head it off.”

“Can I still stay at the school?” This is what has been bothering Marie the most, she is really enjoying her time here, Magneto aside. She has real friends and good classmates, a little sister in Ava and she has Logan.

Irene takes a bite of her croissant and dabs at her lips with a embroidered napkin. “Of course, it is only proper that you finish your last year of high school.”

“Then what happens?” Her mother must have some plans she would not normally plan Marie’s education just a year at the time.

A satisfied smile appears on Irene’s face. “Well, I intend to name you my successor as the CEO of Adler Financial, at the next shareholders meeting, pending your eighteenth birthday at which point you will be the new CEO.”

“What about college?” Her ascension to the position of CEO of her family’s company is long in the planning, but for Marie, it's coming far too soon. She just started to enjoy her school life and was looking forward to some mischief with Jubes and Kitty in college, they even made plans to apply to the same universities.

“Why bother? From what I hear it’s mostly just one big party now. You should have enough credit to complete your bachelor's soon, I can arrange for a degree to be issued from a reputable college.”

“Momma! But-” While her achievement here in this school and on the raid will remain hers alone, Marie had hoped to have more time to herself before being thrust into her family’s maneuverings. Once she is CEO, she will forever be burdened by the status as the Adler heir, raised with a silver spoon in her mouth.

“You wanted more responsibility, and you wanted to make a difference, as the head of Adler Financial you can.” Irene is not going to relent. Her mother’s impatience is understandable, the long-brewing war is coming. The Lab raid just sped up the process even more. When it does finally arrive, Marie needs to be at the head of Adler Financial to support her mother and their struggle.

“The shareholders wouldn’t…” Even though everything is already decided Marie still makes one last attempt to delay the inevitable. She always knew this would come to pass, but she just wants a little bit more time.

“I hold a controlling stake in the company, they can grumble, but we are far too profitable for many of them to jump ship.” Irene finishes her pastry and smirks, her mother can be completely ruthless when it comes business and politics. “I’ll even offer to buy back the shares myself.”

“Yes, Momma.” There is really nothing more to be said, all she can do is try to enjoy the year she has left here.

At the front entrance of the school, Marie is hoping to capitalize on the last few minutes they have together before Irene's departure, something she has learned to do since she was a child. Walking beside her mother, Marie carefully guides her down the stairs.

At the door to Irene’s limo, she pulls Marie in tight for a hug. “I understand Marie, the pressure I’m putting on you, I do. I have first-hand experience. But there is a storm coming, and no one else is better suited to that position than you.”




It is the end of an incredibly busy week, not just for Marie but the entire student body. Practically at the last minute during exam week no less, it is announced that the entire student body is scheduled to take a summer trip right after the end of the exams. Then her mother showed up for a surprise visit on the day everyone is leaving. She ending up spending much of the afternoon with her, and she enjoyed every precious second. But that also meant she is totally behind schedule, and only has about half an hour to pack.

With clothing and various other items scattered all about her room, Marie works at a furious pace. It proved to be more difficult than she expects to decide on all that she would need for this trip. While she is trying to choose between two sneakers, Kitty pops into her room, with a bright smile and plops herself down on Marie’s bed. “Hi, Marie. You're still going by Marie, right?”

Marie has been honestly dreading this moment. How does one tell her best friends that she’s been lying to them all this time? She decides to go the direct route, hoping to move past this as quickly as possible. “Yes, my name has always been Marie, it’s just my last name is different now. ”

Marie hurriedly pulls open several more drawers and transfers a few select items into her bag. Explanations might be important but so is packing, she certainly can't be caught dead with inappropriate attire at the retreat. Jubes also lets herself in a short while later. Marie flashes an apologetically smile at her as she enters. “Look I didn’t mean to lie, it's just because it is a security concern.”

“I don’t know if I can just you to be who you say you are.” Jubes taps a finger to her chin playfully, “I might need to see an ID first.”

“Or a DNA test!” Kitty joins Jubes in the teasing, “You know just to be sure!”

“Come on, I’m still me!” Marie stands up, she knows their just teasing, but she still feels guilty about lying to them all this time, justified or not. Marie is certain she could trust them, but her mother insisted on the subterfuge.

“Yeah, we figured. I mean it is kinda obvious with the way you act.” Kitty takes a silk summer dress from Marie’s suitcase and places it in front of herself. “I mean, who wears summer dresses to a party!”

“And I’ve been a runaway, met a lot of runaways, you don’t act anything like a runaway.” Jubes prods Marie at her waist a few times with a smile and declares, “Your figure is way too good for a starving street rat.”

“Okay, okay, I’ll make it up to you guys,” Marie sighs exasperated and waves her arms toward several empty packs. “Now, can you two please help me pack!”

“Deal!” Jubes and Kitty look at each other and nod. In their excitement, no one notices the other figure who manages to sneak into the room. Marie is the first person to see Ava out on the balcony, looking into the room with searching eyes. Ava must have climbed up after her classes and caught bits and pieces of their conversation.

Marie opens the door and pulls the little girl into a hug. After they break apart and to Marie’s astonishment Ava straight up asks the question, “Who are you?”

Marie rubs Ava’s shoulders affectionately, “Well umm... it is complicated, but I’m still Marie”

“You’re still Marie?” Ava looks up at her, Marie can almost see the gears turning in her mind.

“Yes, I am. ” Marie confirms again with a nod and a smile, and that seems to be enough for the young girl.

“Still Marie…” Ava nods to herself, before calling her usual spot on Marie’s bed right in front of the TV.

Marie once again busies herself with packing, the excitement rising within her at the thought of this trip. While this is far from the first time she’s taken a vacation, this is her first school trip. She’s seen this in so many movies, she can’t help but feel giddy. A summer trip where the memories she makes with her friends will last a lifetime.




Now that the plan is set in motion, there can be no delay, he needs to leave, he needed to leave yesterday. However, there is the issue of Marie still. The day he’s been dreading the most has come to pass, it is time for them to go their separate ways. For once he is at a loss as to what to do in a situation. His first thought is to just disappear without a word, to shield her from his world even at the detriment of their relationship. However something nags at him, he’s done this before to her several times in that other life, it didn’t end well for the two of them.

While he mulls over the best course of action Logan sets about to pack up his belongings. Not that there is much of it, he never really unpacked, his room never took on the appearance of a permanent home. It was just a place to sleep between missions and time with Marie. He tosses the few loose items into his duffle bag and walks towards the garage. Throwing the pack into his truck, he raises the hood. This truck has been sitting here for several months at least and a quick checkup wouldn’t hurt. Working on the truck gives him the time to find the resolve he needs to speak with Marie before leaving. It also gives him the time to figure out what exactly he wants to say to her. She deserves a decent goodbye and a few well thought out excuses at the very least.

“Heard ya go sacked.” Logan looks up from under the hood of this truck, Victor is leaning off the side against a black SUV, in a white tank top and jeans. Logan briefly wonders if their fashion sense might have been inherited. He scented Victor nearby and heard him approaching some time ago, but he is surprised that Victor would be coming here and be in a talking mood no less. In fact, despite their initial encounter at that corporate office all of their interactions have been unusually cordial.

“Officially I resigned.” He lets out a cold grin and meets Victor’s eyes. Back in that other time, they traded more blows than words, and Logan wonders what is so different here. Well, not so much wonder as much as hoping to find a different reason than the one he suspects.

“Ha! Bull fucking shit!” Victor pounds his fist once against the SUV’s door, the metal warping from the force of his strike. Sneering derisively he walks right up to Logan, points a finger on his chest. “They got into a little more trouble than they expected and they threw ya under the bus.”

“It is, what it is.” Logan brushes off Victor’s outburst, and with a forceful shove, pushes Victor away. Victor surprise him again, instead of responding he backs a few feet away and grins. The disturbing thought refuse to recede from his mind. He and Victor get along better because they are more similar now, and Victor can sense it. In the past, Victor always ridiculed Logan for his humanity, and this Victor is just as vicious and psychopathic. There is only one reason Logan can think of for this newfound camaraderie, he himself has changed for the worse.

“Well, it is going to be lonely here without ya Jimmy.” Victor’s grin gets toothy, and his blue eyes shine with a new ferocity. “But I think I can make do.”

“Yer staying?” Logan can’t believe the sudden shifts happening in his life in just one day. From taking on a shit ton of heat to leaving Marie behind without an explanation, to finding out that incredibly Victor just agreed to join the X-Men. He doesn't think he could ever be so blindsided by something, at least not since Marie turned him down to be with the Cajun a lifetime ago.

“Yup, ol’ Professor offer me a place here.” Victor lets out a low mocking chuckle, “'An opportunity to do good' he said.”

Logan had heard a long time ago that the Professor did consider recruiting Victor as a member of the X-Men even before himself. He honestly didn't think Xavier would carry out that plan having personally met the guy, then again Xavier always had that naivety inside him.

“After all that shit talking? Yer gonna stay here to play lap dog?” Whatever incredulity he feels did not show in Logan’s tone of voice. Keeping calm in the face of the unexpected is key to his long record of success. In the back of his mind, Logan is already processing this information, calculating the advantage he could gain from this.

“Lapdog? No fucking way.” Victor sneers at the thought of it, be his expression turns lecherous all at once, “But the bitches here are mighty fine.”

Logan leans in slightly and takes a sniff, and he couldn't even believe the word that popped out of his mouth. “Jean?”

“Caught a whiff of her did ya? She might not look it, but she got a thing for me, and I’d bet my balls that she is gonna be wild in the sack.” Looking supremely pleased with himself Victor practically preens. “Besides, I get to piss off four eyes, and if I happen to get bored with her, there is plenty more here.”

“Really? Victor yer staying ‘cause of some pussy?” This situation is starting to sound like some disgusting parody of how he first came to join the X-Men, and perhaps a few decades back he might be more than just disturbed by this. But while naive Xavier is not stupid and Jean, well if Victor thinks he can push her around his got a very unpleasant surprise coming. Most importantly though Marie will be gone from this place soon so this really doesn’t involve him.

“Not just the pussy, Xavier's promised me Stryker,” Victor's voice turns ice cold at the end.

Logan couldn’t help but shake his head, not just sounding like one, this situation actually is a disgusting parody of how he first joined the X-Men. Stepping inside the truck Logan starts the engine and backs out of the garage. Before he leaves for his rendezvous he does decide to leave Victor with a bit of warning, even if all it will do is inflame his interest even more. “I’d be careful with Jean, she’s more dangerous than she looks.”




It didn’t take long to find Marie, he caught her scent easily enough, and the chattering of students gathering for a trip eliminates most of the other place she could be at. Logan spots her in the courtyard hurrying toward her friends with several packs of her own. Kitty, Firecracker, Ice Boy, Fire Kid, even Piotr are all packed up too, standing next to one of several school buses. Xavier did mention at the meeting something about student trips for the summer. "Marie?"

"Logan." Marie looks back at him with a warm smile and turns to meet him. “I've been looking for you.”

"Ya got a minute? Need to talk to ya, in private." Logan scans her pack, and her group of friends, his tone was neutral, calm, but inside is nothing but turmoil. Uncertainty, about what to tell her, how to tell her, it's been so long since he felt uncertainty that this whole situation is surprisingly unnerving.

"We are just about to head out for a field trip," Marie notices the way he eyes her pack, smiles brighter and steps in closer ignoring Jubilee’s tugging on her arm asking her to hurry. She seems to sense something in him and her voice lowers, eyes focusing on him exclusively, "Is it important?"

"Marie! We're late already, you can discuss your training schedules later," Jubilee whines a bit louder, and Kitty joins in on the tugging. Logan couldn't hold back a chuckle at their antics.

"Nah, nothing too important, we'll talk next time." Marie seems unconvinced at first, but the insistent tugging by Kitty and Jubilee finally overcame her reluctance. Things are different this time, she is stronger, even more beautiful, confident, and capable. Surrounded by friends that care for her, and judging the men circling about her, she won't be lacking for companionship. Seeing her happy, laughing and integral part of the school, makes the decision much easier for Logan. He is not leaving a timid, anxious girl this time, she will be just fine here without him.

He stays standing there till the last bus leaves, one last smoke before the road. Taking one last drag of his cigar he snuffs it out between his fingers. He used to enjoy the taste of these more years ago, recently he pretty much just uses it to cover the heady scent that is Marie. In a way he is relieved to be gone from here, Marie brings a swirl of chaos into his spartan and well-ordered life. Things are warm and pleasant when she is around, but also fuzzy. He often finds himself lost in her company, all the plans he made, all of his worries, it all fades away and he is just there in that moment enjoying the time he has with her.

His phone buzzes, ending the moment. One text message from an unknown number with just the time on it. He has been around for a long time, and finally for the last year or so he has lived his dream, but eventually, inevitably the real world comes calling.




The first few hours of the the ride was filled with excitement. Students chatting away, happily discussing their vacation plans to anyone who would listens. Gradually as the highway turned into winding mountain roads, the excitement that pervaded through the bus is reduced to a slow simmer. While a few small groups within that massive air conditioned bus still chatted animatedly among themselves; for most of them, including Marie and her friends, it is now a time for some quiet contemplation. Or in Jube’s case a quick nap.

Laying back against the well cushioned seat, Marie stares out towards the green rolling hills, her mind playing back the events of the last several months, from all the fun times she spent with her friends to all the challenges she faced at the school, to that group of students with a chip on their shoulders and especially Magneto. Then there is that tumultuous start to the lab raid, and the wonderful and short few days on the road with Logan.

Suddenly, she remembers that he was trying to talk to her about something, before they got on the bus for this retreat. It was important, she knows that just from how Logan carried himself, a bit of tension on his face that is all but hidden unless you knew exactly where to look. He had tried to brush it off, but she didn’t spend so much of her time trying figure him out for nothing. Logan was on edge, and that is never a good thing. Marie is lurched out of her thoughts when the bus pulls into a truck stop with an adjoining dinner.

The driver’s voice crackles over the intercom, “Last stop for the trip folks, you got forty minutes to do whatever you have to do.”

A new sense of urgency rises with in her, pushing her forward. Marie practically leaps out of her seat and dashes for the exit. She waves at a surprised Kitty, and Jubes still groggy from her nap “Sorry! I really have to use the restroom! I’ll met you two in the diner.”

She burst into the diner, almost running into the waitress. Brushing a few locks of hair from her face and smiles apologetically, “Oops! Excuse me, I really have to go, my friends will pick the table.”

Closing the family restroom door and locking it behind her, she pulls out the digital phone from her pocket. She clutches it tightly before dialing the only number on it. The phone rings and rings, seemly forever. Marie paces back and forth as much as the small restroom will allow, silently praying, pleading. Then a gruff distant voice is heard on the other side, surprising her. “Marie.”

“Logan!” She shouts out before can stop herself. Breathing a sigh of relief she leans back against the wall and calms herself before speaking again, “Umm...you wanted to talk?”

“Yeah” there is a long pause, Logan seems to be gathering his thoughts and a sinking feeling appears in her stomach. She knows this tone, it sounds very familiar. From deep within her memories, every time right before he would leave for somewhere. “Look, Marie...I-”

“You left…” She knows before he can even say it, she can hear it in his voice. She lets the last part of her sentence hang, there is no point adding to it she can hear the regret in his voice.

Tears prick her eyes when that exact resigned tone she is expecting comes through the receiver a few seconds later. “Yeah.”

“Why?” It is a silly question. She can, right now, on the spot come up with a dozen likely scenarios why he had to leave so urgently, but a part of her needs to ask anyway.

“Marie...” Logan wants to explain, she can hear that even through the distortion, but for some reason he is holding back, pulling away from her.

She can’t help but worry, that small seed growing with every second of silence. This could be because of something she said or did, perhaps during the lab raid or during their travels together. That sinking feeling starts to spread within her, and her stomach twists into a knot. Her mind rapidly reviews her every action over the last two weeks, and something inside her forces her worry out. “Is it because of me?”

“No!” Logan’s response is quick, and firm. Easily smashing whatever doubts she has. And to her surprise he even elaborates just a bit. “It’s the usual political stuff, shit I don’t want you to be involved in.”

It isn’t much of an explanation but it is better nothing, with a bit of hope she presses on “You'll be back, soon? After all that is taken care of.”

She is met with a wall of silence, but she continues, something is spilling out there is really no stopping it even if she wanted to. What comes out isn’t a question, it isn’t a request. She is not sure where she is getting the courage to demand this of him, but a desperation is welling up inside her, pushing her forward. “You are going to come back? Right?”

“Marie...” She can hear the hesitation in his voice, Logan does not make promises easily. Whatever he needs to do must be serious.

“You’re going to come back, Logan” Marie feels so detached from herself right now, so singularly focused on one thing. She pushes on undaunted, right now at this moment she can not, she will not accept a life without him. “Promise me you will.”

There it is, that is what she needed to get off of her chest. She always felt something is missing between them, here she is finally able to vocalize a part of that. As soon as the words are spoken she slides down the wall and wraps her free arm around her knees. The silence on the other end of the phone feels endless, every second passing more excruciating than the last. She holds on to the only thing she can, the sound of him breathing.

After an eternity of waiting Logan speaks at last. “Okay.”




The sounds of a particular chopper alerts Logan to the arrival of his ride, he takes his packs out of the truck places it in the back before setting the detonators on the thermite charges he strapped to the truck. A few minutes later a familiar gray and black Sea King helicopter flies into view. Logan takes a few seconds to admire it, it is the first aircraft he purchased after he left the X-Men, and has been through much with him. So it felt right that this particular helicopter is going to be the one to take him back to his old life.

The helicopter circles overhead twice, before lowering the cargo hook. After strapping the truck down tight, he climbs onto the rope and tugs on it twice, and he lifts into the air along with his truck. The chopper flies low out over the ocean. It took him two trips to load all his gear into the cabin of the chopper, partly due to him taking the time to appreciate the fresh ocean air, and to overcome the last of his doubts.

He enters the cabin after changing into his own flight suit, to the sight of a tall auburn haired woman at the flight controls. He nods at her but she shows no signs of acknowledging him. He takes a seat and downs a bottle of water. He glances over at the woman flying the chopper next to him. He met her during the liberation of Europe and hasn’t seen her since the late seventies. It is possible that she still holds a grudge from the time when he disappeared on her during the fall of Saigon.

Logan is not of a mind to ponder the situation, he still has the thoughts of Marie swirling through his head. Plus the fact that she is here now shows that things are at least okay between them. He doesn’t think she's the kind of woman that would stab him in the back. He leans back and pushes the button on a transmitter. He can hear the thermite igniting below him, and the click of the hooks as his truck drops down into a watery grave.




In the co-pilot seat of the helo, Logan looks out over the ocean. The school is already hours behind him, and hundreds of miles away, the truck he borrowed is nothing but a burnt out wreck at the bottom of the ocean. He severed the last physical connection he has with the school and the X-Men. Yet his mind still refuses to settle. Even with all her friends and Emma’s support, and despite the fact that the school is overseen by Xavier. He can’t get over the fact that he just left Marie behind within reaches of Magneto and Sabretooth.

But the choice is already made, there is no turning back. He forces those lingering doubts away and lets the familiar icy grip of his battle trance finally encompass mind. Releasing a breath he wasn't aware he is holding, he lights a cigar and takes a deep draft of the bitter smoke. He looks over at his pilot again, this time oddly enough she meets his gaze and winks at him with a saucy smile.

Her velvety voice lures his mind from his thoughts, “Welcome back, Wolverine.”

He knew she wasn't happy with him the last time they met. She wanted to kill her brother with her own hands, but the opportunity, the first one they had since ‘45 was brief and Logan needed to make sure it was done right, then he skipped out on her right after. Yet even with the blood of her brother on his hands she now looks at him with that same gaze, the same one she’s had for him from the day they met. It is not loving, he knows what a loving gaze looks like, admiration perhaps, or appreciation, gratitude maybe?

In his extensive experience, he finds that this particular woman is complicated and picks up on the strangest little details. He isn’t sure what she is playing at especially since she has been silent all this time. But he is not one to flinch from a challenge. He looks straight at her before replying, “We been flying for three hours, Remus. Now you say hi?”

That gaze of her’s waivers just slightly, under his scrutiny, then she defiantly glares back. “I don't know who it was that got my chopper back then, but he was not the Wolverine.”
Chapter End Notes:
Next chapter will be after the new years. I will need to take the time to make more concrete outlines and adept to the change I've made. It took longer to get here than I expect hope everyone is enjoying this so far thank for reading and the comments. And extra huge thank you to my beta. Hope everyone have a good holidays.