Author's Chapter Notes:
This took while, the plot wiggled quite a bit and I had to adjust, but it's finally done. Hope it came out well.
Waking up from a night of restful sleep, she couldn’t keep the smile off her face, still fondly recalling the night of the party. Pushing the soft cotton comforters aside and stretching her arms up towards the ceiling, it was one of the best nights she’s had since her arrival at Westchester, even though she could only spend a small part of it with him. A quick glance at her clock for the time, she springs from the bed, disappearing into her personal washroom. Rushing through what otherwise would have been a rather extended morning ritual, she hopes to catch Logan still in the midst of his exercise routine.

Wearing her dark green sweatsuit over sheer silk body stocking, she jogs out the front door and into the backwoods. It is a short two mile jog to his usual place, a perfect warm up to her day. She even surprises herself on the speed in which she absorbs tidbits about Logan, like his favorite morning exercise location for example. Since her arrival at the mansion and the complete manifestation of her powers, her dreams are becoming more like memories, intruding even into her waking hours. She frequently comes across things here that she should have no knowledge of, yet does. As strange as it is, it feels right, and she welcomes every bit that reveals itself to her, for the first time since she left her home she is starting to feel right.

She finds him exactly where she expects it, in a secluded clearing deep in the woods. Her breathing picks up ever so slightly, and not because of her recent exertions. He is bare chested, covered in a light sheen of sweat, gliding through the grass at high speeds, in the middle of a series of complex katas. He looks calm, graceful, a vision of tranquility, completely unlike the impression of him in her mind. If he knows she is there he gives no outward sign, and she takes a seat absentmindedly. His movements are almost mesmerizing, both simple and intricate all at once.

“You're late.” His voice is gravelly and deep, carrying easily through the forest. She almost jumps up, ready to respond when she realizes he is looking past her. She turns around and finds a red haired, young girl a year or two her junior, running in towards them. The girl comes to a stop a few feet away from her, completely out of breath. Marie is surprised by the glare in those blue eyes as they sweep past her.

“Sorry, I’s sleeping.” A heavy accent colors the young girl’s words. Marie notes with some amusement that with the now downcast eyes, and the small pout, the girl looks like a puppy being scolded.

“That’s fine, I’m done today though, we’ll continue tomorrow.” He dismisses the girl rather bluntly. And she looks like she's just been kicked then abandoned. Marie resists the urge to sweep the girl up and sooth her with a hug. Seeing the girl just moping there he speaks again, in a more commanding tone. “Go, get some breakfast.”

The girl almost jumps before taking off in a run, but not before narrowing her eyes at Marie, an obvious sign of anger. Marie can only look on in confusion, she can not for the life of her remember anything about that girl, not meeting her and certainly not doing anything that would make her angry.

“Logan? Who is she?” Turning to him with her question, she is disappointed that he's already managed to finish dressing.

“Just a kid I picked up a while ago, Ava.” The fact that he adds her name almost as an afterthought annoys her for some reason. Can’t he see how much the girl wants his approval and affection? A memory of herself standing at the front door of this very mansion, asking him to stay, only for him to leave her his dog tags then walk away, flashes through her mind. She quickly pushes it away, and is startled to find Logan close, right in front of her, a hand reaching out to touch a few tresses of auburn hair, a very familiar gesture.

“You alright?” His voice is rough but soft, a tone he only adopts when they are alone. His bare hand still tracing along her hair, inches away from her exposed skin. There have been other students that are curious about her, and despite the numerous warnings she is still fending off some attempts to touch her, out of curiosity or stupidity she is not sure. Those light nervous attempts are nothing like the warm, steady touches of his hands though. She treasures these moments knowing even though she is just one quick accident away from fearful isolation, he will never be afraid of her.

“Yeah... just still kind of sleepy, you know?” She smiles, not just because he is here right now, but because he is here with her. Even though she can feel that there is still a wide chasm between them, it is not at all like the one she remembers. That was a gap, one wedged open by familiarity and jammed with obligation, by the time they realized what it was, their time had passed. This time she understands, and no matter what might come their way she is certain this is a distance she can bridge.

“Let's get you some coffee then.” He slips his hand down to her waist and proceeds to guide her back towards the school. She lets him take the lead relishing this brief moment of contact knowing that it will end as soon as they near the Mansion.




Since Logan’s return she’s been feeling an air of tension around the teachers and staff of the school. The Professor returned just a few days after Logan, cutting short his long anticipated trip to Washington, D.C. It has been building up steadily, today seems to be the most tension she has ever felt here, even long time students are acting differently. The exciting laughter and giggles of children at play that usually fill the grounds is replaced by quiet whispers in small clusters and groups.

Despite the clear blue sky and warm rays of the sun just beckoning at her, she too is huddled with her friends under the shade of a large oak tree. Their newest member, Ava sits fidgeting in front of her, as Marie tries to braid her hair. She met her one morning a week or so back, and really got to know her after Ava called her out in the cafeteria, challenging her for her supposed position as Logan’s first disciple. Marie is still amazed how rumors can spread so quickly in this school. She sends a glare towards the oblivious Asian girl reclined next to her, engrossed in her new smartphone.

Luckily it did not take long to clear things up with Ava; the younger girl, once assured that Logan is not even considering Marie as a disciple, quickly warmed up to her. Ava, she found out was rescued by Logan from a warzone, losing both her parents during the fighting. Her background and her poor command of the English language created difficulties for her making friends at the school.

Marie could tell she was lonely, always hounding at Logan’s shadow, only to have the oblivious man ignore her presence, the dynamic between the two hit a bit close to home for Marie. So she approached the shy girl and between Marie’s motherly tendencies, Kitty’s kindness and Jubes bubbly personality, Ava was quickly and easily drawn into their little group.

Suddenly, Kitty peeks up from her novel and a question sprouts from her. “Anyone know why class is cancelled today?”

“Who knows? Who cares? I plan on fully enjoying today.” Jubes didn’t even glance away from her phone, “How about we-”

“No malls.” Marie cuts Jubes off quickly. Not that she minded shopping, and boy did New York have some great shopping opportunities. But something is happening, it’s been building up rapidly ever since the Professor’s return, and today seems to be the big day, no way is she going to miss it.

“Why not? It’s been awhile since we been to the mall.” Only the talk of shopping can manage to drag Jubes from her phone. She sits up eyes gleaming, “There is a big sale today too!”

“We were there just last weekend,” Kitty pipes up again.

“That doesn’t count. We were on official school business.” Crossing her arms, Jubes manages an excellent impression of Mr. Summers, right down to his frown.

“Didn’t stop you from going on a three hour shopping spree though.” Smiling, Kitty nudges Jubes with her elbow.

“What was I supposed to do? Not shop while at the mall?” The mocking indignation of Jubes' tone, causes a smile to breakout on Marie’s face.

She could only shake her head as her two best friends began their age old arguments on the propriety of shopping. She’s heard these arguments many times before, and instead chooses to focus on untangling Ava’s hair. She takes her new comb, bought especially for Ava and slow works her way through the tangles, being extra careful not to hurt the girl. It is unbelievable how quickly Ava can go from a properly dressed young lady, to that of a post apocalyptic survivor. While it might be too late for Kitty and Jubes to learn proper manners, she is determined to help Ava become an expert in etiquette, and soon, before Ava can pick up any of Logan’s many odd quirks.

Her tranquility could not last long. Bobby and John soon intrude upon them, with those two are more or less the most popular students in the school. Marie can see Jubes gaze turn wary, and Kitty tensing up, withdrawing into herself. Ava, who’s complete ignorant of the school social structure, just pouts and glare at the interlopers for ending her impromptu hair treatment.

“Hey, Marie,” John greets her first, sporting a cocky grin. “Missed you at the party last night. What happened? ”

“Was that last night? I’m sorry I had a prior engagement.” A cool glance and a detached tone easily deflects John’s probing question. She only went to one party with them, and she doesn’t really care much for it with the exception of the time she spent with Logan. But apparently she had made some impact, she has gotten invitations for every party since. They had even started to invite her friends, after she made some excuse because of Jubes and Kitty.

“Hey, its cool.” She can tell John is doing his best to seem nonchalant, trying to find a way to re-engage her. Opportunistically, Bobby steps up into the vacuum, flashing a bright smile. “Hey, we’re all going to the mall, you want to come with us? Your friends too, of course”

It was kind of flattering to have John and Bobby competing for her attention, but the more she knows about these two, the more wary she is of them. The school is much, larger than what she remembers, with close to a thousand students split amongst the twelve grades. While the old Bobby and John were popular in the school, there is no comparison to the level of fame they enjoy now, being one of the few students that are on the X-Men’s trainee team. She can see the effect it is having on them, she's dealt with people drunk on power frequently, she can easily spot the signs.

“Nope, we’re fine,” Jubes interjects quickly before she can respond, obviously annoyed being relegated to just a nameless friend. Moving closer to Marie, she tightens their little circle defensively. “We just decided to take it easy today. Right guys?”

Kitty glances around and sinks back into her book, her unease is now obvious. This brings some dormant suspicions she and Jubes have to the surface. Something must have happened at a party she attended by herself a few days ago, Kitty normally would jump at the chance to hangout with Bobby, given her huge crush on him. Jubes noticed the change first, and Marie soon caught on, Kitty is much more withdrawn lately, even when it’s just them.

“Thanks guys, but we already made plans, perhaps next time,” She gives them a polite dismissing smile, and studies them as John and Bobby’s group slow turn away from them. There is a tension between them, while faint, it was still apparent if she looks for it. Originally she attributed it to the various girls in that group resenting her presence, since she was first introduced to them at that party. Then she suspected it was because Bobby and John went to the party with them instead of the popular girls, but given Kitty’s current reaction she suspects it might be something more.

Out of the half a dozen girls in the popular clique, Marie only recognized one of them, Alison who was recently featured on MTV’s program for young singers. They’ve spoken occasionally, she didn’t think there should be any bad blood between them, it is the rest that she is concerned about. Turning to Kitty, who is still shielding herself with that thick novel, she tries to think of the right question to ask. But Jubes, always blunt and to the point, beats her to it. “Okay, Kitty, spill it!”

“W-what do you mean?” Kitty looks between them in alarm, clutching her book even tighter to her chest.

Leaning in closer, looking rather practiced at this type of interrogation, Jubes presses the point home. “Something happened at that party Kitty. Me and Marie both know it.” She taps her finger against Kitty’s novel and she visibly flinches.

“I-I don’t know what your talking about…” Kitty doing an excellent impression of a frightened fawn, is on the verge of bolting.

Marie was just about to tell Jubes to take it easy, when she first feels it, a cold dread creeping up her spine. Looking past the grounds, on an otherwise beautiful summer day, she spots several large black SUVs roll up from the gate. Serious and faintly familiar men step out from them, but only one holds her attention. Fear, anxiety and anger welling up inside her when she takes in his features, silvery blond hair, icy blue eyes, she can not suppress a cold shiver, when those eyes sweep the school grounds once and unerringly found hers.

“Marie? A little help here? Marie?” So intense is the fear that grips her body, she barely hears Jube’s voice. The moment passes quickly and she lets out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding.

“Hey, you okay?” She turns to see the concerned eyes of her friends. “Yeah, just got distracted for a second.”

“Chica, that wasn’t the ‘I’m just distracted look’, that was ‘an axe murderer just broke down my front door’ look!” She is really beginning to hate Jubes' strange ability to be disturbingly insightful at the oddest times.

“It’s nothing, I just thought I recognized someone.” She flinches when Ava touches her arm in concern, upon seeing Ava’s hurt expression she draws the young girl into a hug, showing her that everything is alright.

Jubes quickly tracks down the source of her distress and smiles. “Oh, Chica, you don't have to worry about any of those guys.” Both her and Kitty place a shoulder on each side of her. “They may look like bad guys with their dark glasses and black suits but their actually on our side.”

“Yeah, that's Mr. Erik Lehnsherr and his bodyguards, he is a founder of this school, his daughters are students here.” Kitty happy that the focus of attention is off her, she tries to keep this conversation going. “Although it's pretty rare to see him recently, I heard he has been really busy.“

It was a supreme feat of will to prevent herself from tensing at the mention of Magneto’s real name, and her usual eloquent self can only manage to squeak out one word. “Why?”

“He is the party leader for the Mutant Brotherhood, they’re leading the opposition to the Mutant Registration Act.” Kitty once again demonstrates her firm grasp of current events and her encyclopedic knowledge of many subjects.

“Yeah, like the Professor, he is a big name in mutant rights too, so there is nothing to worry about.” Jubes adds reassuringly.

Silent and deep in thought, she tries to reconcile to man in her head with the one her friends are telling her about. As much admiration as her friends show towards Magneto, and while it is completely possible that he is a different man this time. She cannot forget the glimmer in his eyes, those eye are no different than ones she saw on the Liberty Torch, when he callously condemned her to death.
Chapter End Notes:
Up next Magneto.