Author's Chapter Notes:
Back to the lab to check in with our guys. Setting up some things for future chapters. Enjoy!
Wolverine lifted his head, straining to identify the faint sounds that reached his ears. It was a female. And she was in severe distress. He cocked his head to the right and listened again. There was a long stretch of silence then she screamed again, louder this time, and longer, her scream becoming hoarse as it continued. Then she was silent. He recognized the source of the sounds this time. Mate. He growled loudly as he realized his mate was suffering and she was without his protection.

He pulled against his bonds, muscles bulging, trying to free himself. He grabbed the chains, jerked hard, and roared as he struggled to break free. Again and again he yanked on the chains, the veins in his muscles straining with his efforts. He thought he felt a slight give from where the chains were bolted deep into the floor, but ceased his efforts immediately as he heard noises coming from beyond the door.

There was a clicking noise, the door swung open, and a man entered the room carrying a tray and a small bag. Wolverine sniffed hard and growled again. The man had the smell of his mate on him. The man would die for touching her and causing her pain. There was no question he would kill the man. It was just a matter of when.

"What are you growling at," Farris said as he set the tray down and slid it towards TS01 with his foot. He wasn't coming within slicing distance of those claws. He'd seen what the animal in front of him was capable of.

Wolverine sniffed again, and smelled meat. He was ravenous and bent down to grab the food, devouring it, chains straining as they barely allowed him enough slack to reach his mouth.

"Fuckin' animal," the man said.

But Wolverine didn't care for the sounds the man was making. All he cared about was eating so he could have enough energy to break free and get to his mate.

Farris watched as the TS01 ate. He would only have a few moments to act and take a blood sample once the powerful drugs in the food hit the animal's bloodstream, and he would need every precious second he could get. He watched closely, looking for the faintest sign it was working. A few moments passed and he noted the animal's eyes fluttered. There. It was working. Farris prepared to act, his hand on the caddy by his side.

Wolverine felt a sudden drowsiness envelop him as he finished the last morsels of food. At first he thought it was just normal sleepiness that accompanied eating a large meal, but there was something pulling at him, luring him into darkness. The sleepiness felt wrong and he growled at the man who was watching him, but it was too late. He collapsed in his chains and lay unmoving on the cold cement floor.

Farris moved without hesitation. He swiftly drew out another set of vials and a new needle from his caddy. He ripped open an alcohol prep pad, rubbed the skin at Wolverine's elbow and quickly inserted the needle. He filled one, then two, then the final third vial with the animal's blood. He pressed lightly on the insertion point where the needle had been and was about to retrieve a small bandage when the incision closed before his eyes. He scoffed at himself. He shouldn't have bothered to swab the incision point with alcohol, seeing as any stray bacteria that entered would be quickly destroyed by the animal's healing factor. His mistake had cost him a few of his precious seconds. He needed to move quickly.

Farris packed the vials into his caddy and hastened to leave the reach of the animal's adamantium claws. His time was more than up. A shrill twang suddenly rent the air and Farris jumped as he felt the air move across his face. He had just missed being sliced open by three perfect adamantium claws by a fraction of an inch. The animal was laying on the floor, his arm was stretched out, claws reaching, teeth bared. A rumbling growl met Farris' ears as he backed away, hands shaking.

"V-Vasquez! The door."

He told himself he hadn't sounded scared. No. Not scared at all. The heavy bolts of the door were remotely unlocked by Vasquez and he scrambled through out of the cell as soon as he heard the click of the lock, his eyes never leaving the animal's outstretched claws.

Farris breathed a sigh of relief as he slammed the door shut and heard the bolts re-engage. He headed down the hallway, legs slightly rubbery with adrenaline. Now that he had the samples of TS01 and TS183 he needed to get them to Vasquez in the lab for processing as soon as possible. Colonel Stryker wasn't one to stand for any delays. And if Farris wanted to achieve his goals, he was going to need Stryker to be pleased with his work so that he didn't suspect anything. What he was planning wasn't strictly approved as part of their main work in the labs. But he had support from others on the outside, and they were willing to pay a lot of money for this product.

Farris headed towards the lab with his samples and smiled. He would be able to begin his own work very shortly.

_____________

Jorge Vasquez adjusted the microscope specimen slides and refocused the lens again. He hadn't been sure about the initial conclusions of TS183's third sample type, but after looking at a second specimen, the characteristics of some of the cells' shapes and movements in the sample were unmistakable. He would have to let Colonel Stryker and Farris know the results.

After speaking with TS01 shortly after its capture, it appeared as though Stryker had suspected something may have transpired between the two animals based on the way TS01 was behaving. Vasquez sighed as he realized this sample confirmed his superior's suspicions.

Vasquez wasn't sure how he felt about announcing his findings to Stryker and Farris. It seemed like such a violation of their privacy. Sometimes he still felt sympathy for the animals they held and experimented on, even though he'd been participating in the Vanquish research for more than three years. He had trouble separating the people from their other abnormal abilities, and he suspected that both Stryker and Farris knew this. And to have them suspect he had difficulty carrying out some of the more delicate orders weakened him. Stryker and Farris would tell him that they weren't people, just animals. Highly intelligent animals, yes; but animals nonetheless. If he was going to succeed in this position, he would have to put aside his moral and ethical objections and plough ahead.

Having given his resolve somewhat of a boost, Vasquez pressed the button that rang the intercom to Stryker's personal quarters. Stryker used to reside offsite, but he no longer ventured away from the facility since they'd been nearing the global launch for Project Vanquish.

"Colonel Stryker?"

A few moment's passed then the intercom crackled to life with Stryker's response. "Yes. What is it, Vasquez?"

"Colonel, you asked for an update once we'd had a chance to perform an initial evaluation on TS183's samples."

Vasquez could swear he felt Stryker's excitement through the speaker.

"What did you find?"

"Sir, it appears that TS01 and TS183 have been - " Vasquez broke off, and to his extreme embarrassment felt the heat of a blush rise up his neck. Damn. He couldn't believe he'd hesitated when delivering the results to Stryker.

"Spit it out, Vasquez," Stryker barked as Vasquez hesitated.

"Yes, sir. It appears TS01 and TS183 have been, well, intimate," Vasquez blurted out.

"I'll be damned. Do you mean they've been mating?"

"Yes, sir," he said, relieved that Stryker had understood him.

"How recently?"

"Well, sir, it's hard to tell exactly. But it would have to have been within the last five days, and it's likely to have been more recent than that."

"Excellent. This should prove useful in the coming stress tests we have planned for both subjects."

"Yes, sir," Vasquez said frowning. He was unsure what use the knowledge that the two tests subjects had been having sexual relations would be.

"Vasquez, that's damn fine work you've done in there. Keep analyzing the rest of the samples from each subject and keep me updated of any new developments. Oh, and prepare TS183 for an in-person visit. I'd like to talk to it about a few things."

The intercom crackled as Stryker finished speaking and Vasquez sighed in relief. He'd done well. Now he just needed to prep the girl - no, the animal, he told himself for a visit from Stryker. He almost felt sorry for it. Stryker was a ruthless bastard, who was only concerned about his own goals.

Vasquez typed in some commands to the central computer and watched the monitors showing TS183's cell to ensure she was complying. Once he confirmed she was following the orders, he turned back to the microscope and switched out the samples. He sighed loudly and continued to note his initial findings in the lab book. It was going to be a long night.

_____________

Marie remained on the cot for what felt like hours. She had screamed, punched, and then sobbed herself into exhaustion. She felt hollow, drained. She was terrified at what might happen to happen to her.

She didn't know what these assholes had done to her. She kept trying to figure it out, turning everything over in her mind. But none of the pieces of the puzzle seemed to fit together. They were able to control her every movement. Did they have a telepath? Someone like the Professor who was able to influence a person's mind? Somehow, she didn't think so since she was still able to control her own thoughts and feelings.

Marie thought back to when she had first woken up beneath the surgical lights with all the people watching her. The man had talked about clinical trials and the global launch of something. And he'd said something else about regulations. Regulations. Shit. Did that mean he was government? Marie felt sick to think the feds might be behind this. If she was right, that meant their time fighting the Mutant Registration Act was likely coming to an end, and that war was around the corner.

Her mind suddenly bought one particular detail of her time in the lab into the forefront of her thoughts. Surgical lights. She sat up quickly and placed her hand against the base of her skull, once again trying to feel any remaining tenderness. Had they cut her open and done something to her? What kind of technology could force a person to lose control of their own body?

Get up and stand in the center of the room facing the door. You may not move. You may speak.

Marie closed her eyes tight in fear. Not again. Not so soon. What did they want with her now? Farris had said he would see her tomorrow. And even though she'd been on her cot for awhile, surely she couldn't have lain there through an entire night. She was becoming used to hearing the command sound inside her brain. She hadn't even jumped this time.

Her body carried her over to the middle of the cell and she waited, trying to brace herself for what was next. A few minutes went by and she heard the click of a lock being disengaged and the heavy metal door swung open. The clip of shoes echoed inside her cell and Marie found herself looking at a man in his late fifties or early sixties. He had a closely cropped goatee and mustache that were sprinkled with gray hair. He wore a dark military style trench coat that didn't hide his round middle. His eyes were ice blue and Marie shivered involuntarily as she looked into them. They were cold, calculating eyes and Marie realized this man would not be swayed from achieving his objectives.

"Good evening, TS183."

Marie clenched her jaw at the sound of his voice. It was the man who had spoken to her over the intercom when she'd been naked. His words were full of the same slimy sweet tone that was full of mockery and self-importance.

"Oh, is it evening? Kinda hard to tell in my windowless cell - sir!" She barked out the last word reluctantly as her brain forced her mouth to comply to her previous orders. Once again, she felt anger building within her. Whatever they'd done to her forced her to carry out the command she'd been issued when she'd been naked in front of those men. She felt her anger burning and felt her strength return. She'd take anger any day over the impotent fear she'd felt just a few minutes ago.

"Ah, nice to see you remembered your instructions from before. Tell me, how do you feel?"

"How - how do I feel?” Marie was incredulous. This asshole was chatting to her as if they were passing each other on a neighborhood street, talking of nothing more serious than the weather.

Stryker raised his eyebrows at her indicating she should continue.

"I feel like I want to kill you. I feel disgust when I look at you and I can't wait to wipe that goddamn smile off your face. I feel like once I get out of here I'm going to enjoy destroyin' everything you've ever worked for, sir." Marie ground her teeth together as the man laughed at her.

"My, my. Well, I suppose I did ask." Stryker paused and looked at TS183. The animal was quite worked up. And he supposed he would be too if their situations were reversed. "I wonder if I should introduce myself," he said as he began to walk around her, his hands clasped in back. "I suppose it's only fair, even though animals such as yourself aren't deserving of the same courtesies as humans."

Marie glared at him. What kind of a man was he to believe such things about mutants? She was still human, she just had some extra enhancements.

"My name is Colonel William Stryker, and I'm in charge of this little operation. Well - " he hesitated, "Little is a bit of understatement. I wouldn't want you thinking I'm boasting, but our facilities are quite extensive. And after years of research, we're finally ready to proceed through the final phases of our project. And you, TS183, should be proud to be part of it."

"Proud? Proud? What kind of a moron are you that you think I should be proud to be held prisoner and experimented on, sir?"

Stryker stopped circling her and stared at her over the rims of his glasses. "Don't test my patience. I can make this a one-sided conversation in a matter of seconds if I want to."

Marie glared back at him, but didn't say anything further. She didn't want her ability to speak to this asshole taken away from her, even if she had to say 'please' and 'sir.'

"Please. Why me? Why am I here? What do you want with me?"

"Sorry to disappoint, but we didn't necessarily want you in particular," he said as he resumed his pacing. "There's nothing special about you, really, other than your mutation's ability to absorb the powers of others. Though I will admit, having that ability will be quite handy during our final round of tests."

"So why the hell did you shoot down our jet, sir?" Marie was hating the sound of her voice continuing to address the slimeball as 'sir.'

"When we found out we were to paid a visit by the infamous X-Men, we determined we couldn't risk the slightest chance that any evidence about our work be uncovered. At the same time, we'd - run out - of viable test subjects and your arrival simply couldn't have been any more timely."

Stryker stopped his pacing suddenly and asked, "Tell me, TS183, how long have you and the Wolverine been mating?"

Marie forced herself to remain neutral at his words though she was completely taken off guard. She would have smacked the smug look off his face had she been able to. "I don't know what you're talkin' about, sir."

"Come now, TS183. Of course you do. Imagine my surprise when I heard from the lab following their initial analysis of your samples. The Wolverine and Rogue," he said mockingly. "Who would have guessed? We always thought Jean Gray was more his type. I guess it just goes to show you never really know what someone else is thinking"

His words stung somewhat. After all, she'd thought the same thing about Logan for years.

"Please, what does it matter?" Marie found some satisfaction in that her tone held as much scorn as possible when she said, 'please.' He hadn't liked the way she'd said that. Not at all.

Stryker leaned close to her ear. "You think you're smart? You think - "

"Please. I know I'm smart," Marie interrupted and to her satisfaction, she saw his face flush with anger.

Stryker, his patience gone, grabbed her shoulder in a cruel grip. With his bare hands. Marie couldn't believe he was being so stupid. He'd just touched her skin without any kind of protection. She instantly focused all her energy on draining the life out of him. She braced her mind for the assault of Stryker's memories and emotions. But nothing happened other than a sliver of pain that started at the base of her skull. She tried again and felt the stab of pain work its way through her skull, from the base of her head through the center of her brain and down the front of her temples. She screamed at the horrible sensation and stopped trying to use her power.

Stryker smiled as she stood in front of him, breathing hard. "I'd rethink the term 'smart' if I were you. You are nothing but an animal. An animal whose sole purpose is to do the bidding of its masters." He squeezed her shoulder hard until she cried out with pain. Satisfied, he released her and stepped back to admire his results. The animal was still breathing hard, but did not meet his eyes again. He saw to his satisfaction the marks of his fingers were dark red against her pale skin. "Now. I'll ask you again. Only this time, you will tell me the truth. Vasquez?"

Marie braced herself for a command. This was the second time that somebody had asked for Vasquez to do something while they'd been in the cell with her. What did that mean? Did they need Vasquez to order her to do things?

You will answer his question truthfully.

Stryker looked carefully at her then said, "How long have you been mating with Wolverine?"

"For one day, sir," and she felt humiliation wash over her as she saw him grin.

"Well. Not quite what I expected, but we'll see how that comes into play during testing." He strode away from her towards the door and called over his shoulder, "Get some rest TS183. Tomorrow's going to be a big day. After all," he said as he turned to face her. "We're just getting started."
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for continuing to read!

I'll aim for having another chapter up by the end of the week, and maybe it'll have a nice flashback. ;)