Author's Chapter Notes:
I hope you enjoy this rather bizarre mind-bending chapter I've written. Where my brain comes up with this stuff, I have no clue. Hope it's not too slow!
Doctor Hank McCoy moved closer to the electronic files open on the screen in front of him, frowning as he retrieved his glasses from where they rested on top of his head and delicately pushed them onto his nose with one blue furred finger. He needed answers regarding the current state of the man prowling about wildly in their isolation chamber, and he was convinced the rather extensive and meticulously documented notes on the experiments and torture performed on his friends would have those answers. After having retrieved several blood samples from a thankfully unconscious Wolverine upon his return to the mansion and running them through a battery of tests, he was puzzled as to why the drugs administered to Wolverine had not yet seemed to leave his system. Ororo, Katherine, and Robert, while undernourished and exhausted, and still recovering from their injuries obtained in the jet crash, had all seemed to recover relatively quickly from their drugged state.

By contrast, the man they held in med lab's isolation chamber in no way resembled the Logan that Hank knew. No, the beast that growled and lashed out violently with his adamantium claws if anyone approached the chamber was a stranger to them all. Hank alone recognized the feral beast in front of him and had been shocked to feel his own feral instincts rise quickly to the surface as he observed a conscious, deeply savage Wolverine. His deeper nature had quickly identified and understood that the feral animal Wolverine was in charge, even if it took his calm scientific mind more time to process the facts and data in front of him. The constant displays of violent aggression brought out conflicting instincts in Hank, and indeed it took a great deal of strength to ignore his feelings to either challenge the Wolverine for dominance or bow his head and avert his eyes to submit to and recognize the Alpha in front of him. To help focus on the task in front of him, he had instead retreated to the lab, out of sight and sound of the vicious beast snarling behind the impenetrable walls of the isolation chamber. He was determined to identify what was preventing Logan from coming to the surface.

From his initial review of the electronic files Piotr and Kurt had managed to liberate from the lab prior to it being firebombed into oblivion, it appeared as though the X29 serum formula's primary function had been specifically designed to prevent Wolverine's healing factor from identifying its chemical compounds as a threat whereby the body would immediately process it out of the system. No, the X29 serum appeared to mimic nutrients and other trace minerals needed in order to maintain essential bodily functions such as the immune, nervous, and circulatory systems. So, rather than seeing an unknown potentially threatening foreign substance, Wolverine's body had essentially absorbed the serum without it being recognized as a danger by his healing factor. Hank had simultaneously marveled at the ingenious design of such a drug, and been horrified by the amount of time and dedication it must have taken in order to engineer something specifically meant for a mutant such as Wolverine.

What Hank did not understand was that according to information in the lab's files, the X29 serum required regular dosing every twelve hours to maintain its effectiveness. It had now been three full days since the X-Men had returned from the lab, short one of their members, and yet the Wolverine was very obviously still very much present and in charge. That led him to ponder the secondary function of the serum.

The chemical formula for the X29 serum was a complicated combination of compounds, several of which he was unable to identify. However, based on his findings in the lab's research files, after preventing the body from identifying it as a foreign substance, the secondary purpose of the serum was intended to suppress higher brain function. Indeed, in most humans, the serum, if administered, would simply reduce them to an automaton-like state of obedience. Yet, in the case of Logan, it had merely suppressed his more rational human mind allowing the restrained animal beneath to reign. For all intents and purposes, it was what the scientists working for Stryker had wanted, though what motivations they had for doing so, Hank would rather not entertain.

His prime objective over the past three days had been to identify what was preventing the serum to be processed out of Wolverine's system. However, frustrated by his lack of progress on identifying why the serum appeared to still be in effect, he sighed loudly and instead turned his attention to the other records obtained from the lab, which until now he had only spared a cursory glance. Aside from the vast electronic records on the X29 serum, Rogue's file had the most data. His heart hurt for Rogue as he read over the horrors enacted upon his friend, all in the name of science and policies approved and funded by their own government. He could scarcely imagine her terror and horror at what she was made to do while under Stryker's thumb.

After he'd heard the retelling of his colleagues' rescue from the lab, they were convinced that Rogue had been a victim of brainwashing. And after hearing of her actions toward Scott, Jean, and particularly Wolverine, he was inclined to agree. The question was, just what sort of torture had she been subject to, and how could they reverse it so she came back to them, back to herself?

He clicked to view the next set records under Rogue's file and froze as he saw a complicated series of diagrams depicting what appeared to be a microprocessor. Quickly scanning the schematics, he clicked to the next set of records, which detailed a highly complex, even more advanced version of the chip. His shock at the advanced technology that had been developed with the sole purpose of suppressing and controlling not only a mutant's powers, but their mind as well, quickly turned to anger as he continued to read through Rogue's file. The first generation suppressor chip had known deficiencies and unintended side effects when implanted into a test subject, the least of which was headache. The first gen model had also been linked to the deaths of scores of mutants who'd had the chip implanted into their brains, usually as a result of severe hemorrhage to the brain. Despite knowing this, they had implanted this first model into Rogue and according to their records, it had nearly killed her as well. Her brain hemorrhage and subsequent surgeries to remove the defective chip and install the second generation were extremely well documented. Hank continued to click through the records detailing what Rogue had been made to do under the influence of the more advanced suppressor chip, reading faster and faster until he came across the description of her last major programming.

...From this moment on, you will no longer believe that you are held against your will. From this moment on, you are a willing, eager participant in all experiments. You will not question orders. You believe you are a willing participant. You do not desire to escape. You desire only to comply. Compliance will be rewarded. You will not conspire with any other test subjects to escape, nor aid them in any way. The only thing you remember about your time before the lab is that it was filled with pain and misery, torture at the hands of Wolverine. The Wolverine was working with the other X-Men to use you and destroy you. The X-Men, led by Charles Xavier attempted to use you as a conduit to force the mutation of innocent humans on Liberty Island seven years ago to fulfill their own selfish agenda. After you were kicked out of your parents house shortly after your mutation manifested, Wolverine stalked and followed you at the bequest of Charles Xavier to the Canadian town of Laughlin City. Wolverine captured you, beat you and mercilessly tortured you, until you agreed to help...

Hank forced himself to stop reading the notes detailing the programming of his friend's mind. He was having difficulty separating the scientific part of his mind which was committed to learning as much about the technology Stryker had developed as possible, from his more personal self which was distraught at reading what had been done to his friends. It wasn't until he came across the protocol for the test that immediately followed Rogue's brainwashing that he let out a roar of rage. His realization that Rogue had essentially been raped, both body and mind, forced to subject herself to copulation at the foul hands of Sabertooth, forced to believe she was helping her very captors by draining the powers of other mutants incensed him. His massive blue chest heaving with anger, Hank unleashed his fury, roaring deep in his chest as he swung one large blue arm over the contents of his desk. The wireless keyboard and mouse, his coffee mug, the notes on the samples from Wolverine's blood, all came flying across the room to land with a spectacular crash on the opposite wall. Coffee slid down the wall in rivulets and landed on the broken shards of his ceramic cup with a steady dripping noise.

"Am I interrupting?" Hank barely recognized the soothing tones of Charles Xavier over the roaring of blood in his ears. He swung himself to face the entry to the lab and took several deep breaths, willing his inner beast to calm itself.

"Charles. My apologies for the mess," Hank said as he knelt to retrieve Wolverine's blood sample results from the coffee soaked mess on the floor.

"No matter, Hank," Charles said, as he waived one hand in dismissal of Hank's outburst. "I take it you may have found some new information about our friend in the isolation ward?"

Sighing, Hank shook his head. "Unfortunately, no. Everything I've discovered about this so-called X29 serum indicates its effects should have subsided days ago. And everything I know about Wolverine's healing factor indicates he should have no traces of it left in his system. And yet," Hank paused, thinking over what had been done to Rogue, wondering if Wolverine had been subject to similar torture. "It's almost as though Logan is unable to retake control."

Charles was quiet for a few moments as he pondered the possibilities. "Unable? Or perhaps, unwilling." The sound of Charles' electric chair hummed as he moved closer to the screen where the instructions from Rogue's last programming were still displayed. "I wonder if something similarly horrendous has happened to Logan which has caused him to retreat into his own mind."

Hank turned to face Charles who was looking back at him, blue eyes clear with intent.

"Hank, I think it is time I paid a visit to our dear friend, Wolverine."
______________

Charles Xavier wheeled his chair into the room containing the med lab's isolation chamber, Hank following close behind. As Charles had suspected, Wolverine was awake, restlessly pacing along the four walls of the enclosure. Wolverine abruptly turned to face the front of the room. Seeing Charles and Hank, he emitted a low growl of warning and then continued his frenzied stride, keeping one eye on them at all times. Charles noted that Wolverine remained nude, though they had placed some of Logan's clothes on the bed prior to Wolverine regaining consciousness.

As Charles moved closer to the chamber, Wolverine ceased moving and turned to face him. His shoulders were hunched with tension, muscles flexing with anticipation of a fight, his lip was curled in a snarl. His physical aggression seemed to increase as he placed eyes on Hank, who in turn seemed to be having difficulty reigning in his deeper instincts. Charles, ignoring the displays from both mutants turned his gaze to Hank, "My friend, I think you should go. I believe your presence may be causing our friend some distress.”

"I suppose you are right, Charles," Hank said through gritted teeth. "But, are you sure about this? It could be dangerous."

"I believe we have no other choice if we are to have any chance of getting Logan back," Charles said, calmly.

Hank nodded and without another word turned and left. As soon as Hank was no longer in sight, the Wolverine seemed to relax an infinitesimal degree. Charles could only suppose it was the underlying feral nature of Hank that had seemed to make Wolverine bristle with anger, though he certainly wasn't expecting a hug from the creature that will still pacing restlessly in the chamber.

"Logan, I hope you can hear me. I apologize for what I am about to do, but I do not see any other way. In time I am hopeful you will forgive this intrusion."

Closing his eyes, Charles began his work. A small, focused push was all it took and he had penetrated the intense instinct-driven mind of the Wolverine. Charles found himself in a clearing, surrounded by a vast, evergreen forest. A thick layer of snow lay on the ground and ,as he looked up, the sky above was cloudless and an intense dark blue, a shade he couldn't recall seeing before. Wolverine was in front of him, claws unsheathed, furious at the intrusion. A tense moment passed as Charles tried to calm the violence he sensed within Wolverine.

Wolverine. I am Charles Xavier. I am a friend of Logan.

Wolverine began to pace, snorting at his words. The claws remained out.

I am here to help him. We need him, Rogue needs him.

Charles was unprepared for the violence that erupted from Wolverine. He let out a howl of rage and charged Charles, his claws outstretched. But Charles did not move, he simply forced Wolverine to stop in mid-motion, claws a hairs’ breadth away from slicing into his neck.

Wolverine struggled, muscles straining, growling in frustration at his lack of ability to slice open the man who had dared mention her. But after several moments of being unable to move, his muscles relaxed and Charles sensed the violence within lessen. He released Wolverine from his mental hold and he immediately jerked away from Charles.

How? Came the reply, barely distinguishable through gritted teeth.

I have projected myself telepathically into your mind. You cannot physically harm me.

Wolverine sniffed loudly and continued to glare at Charles, but did not make a move to attack him further.

Following his own instincts, Charles asked, Wolverine, why did you react so strongly when I said Rogue’s name?

Another menacing growl issued deep within Wolverine’s chest and he resumed his pacing, snow kicking up under his bare feet.

Content to wait him out, Charles merely stood patiently, taking in the beauty of the trees, the intense quiet of the place. Finally, after several moments, Wolverine barked out two nearly unintelligible words. Mate. Betray.

Comprehension dawning in his own mind, Charles now understood the reaction Wolverine had when he’d mentioned Rogue. Wolverine, Charles said kindly, Rogue would never hurt or betray you. I know she cares for you -

Wolverine cut him off, abruptly snarling out, She chose Sabertooth!

Smiling sadly, Charles said, You cannot possibly think Rogue would ever willingly choose Sabertooth over you. Wolverine. I have sensed the depth of her feelings on multiple occasions. Do you understand what was done to you? What was done to Logan? To Rogue? You have all suffered a great deal at the hands of William Stryker -

Another growl at the mention of Stryker.

- And I need to talk to Logan so that we might have a chance at getting Rogue back.

Wolverine stopped his pacing, his body tense. Several moments passed, with no sound but the wind whispering through the pines.

Charles tried again. We can get her back, Wolverine. Please. Let me speak to Logan.

They locked gazes, wild golden eyes meeting calm blue, and finally Wolverine jerked his head in the far direction of the clearing. A cabin Charles had not previously noticed was tucked away at the far corner snug against the line of trees, smoke rising steadily from its stone chimney.

Turning back to face Wolverine, Charles smiled. Thank you.

Wolverine turned away from him and stalked into the woods, growling once more under his breath, Don’t thank me yet, bub. You haven’t talked to him.

Charles strode across the clearing, kicking up snow as he went. He had to admire the inner sanctum that Wolverine had constructed for himself. The woods and snow really were quite beautiful and serene. Before long, he was at the cabin door. Uncertain as to how he should proceed, Charles raised one eyebrow to himself as he brought his fist up to knock on the wooden door.

There was no answer, and Charles paused before bringing his hand to the door knob. To his mild surprise, it was unlocked and he swung open the door, expecting to see Logan sitting in front of a cozy fire. Instead, his eyes widened slightly as he took in the scene in front of him.

A dimly lit, smoke-filled bar, a cacophony of voices, music, and the punishing smack of flesh being pummeled assailed his eyes and ears as he entered the cabin. As the door shut behind him, he turned back to see that it had disappeared, leaving in its place a smooth, if slightly worn looking wall with a sign advertising Molson’s beer. Well. It looked like he’d have to figure out a different way out.

Turning back to face the center of the room, he pushed past the nameless strangers that crowded the bar, eager to see what held their attention. The closer he got, the louder and clearer the sounds of physical violence became. Charles found himself suddenly at the front of the crowd facing a shoddily constructed fight ring. Logan was currently getting his ass kicked by a monstrous bald-headed man. He had Logan in a headlock while viciously and repeatedly pounding one giant fist into his kidneys. Logan arched his back in pain as he dropped to the floor, spitting blood. The larger man grinned as he knelt down to grab Logan by the belt and neck to throw him hard into the chain link fence surrounding the cage. Logan fell to the floor with a clunk, panting hard. As Charles looked closer, he noted that Logan did not appear to be healing. He was covered in bruises, one eye was swollen shut, and blood spattered nearly every inch of his naked chest.

Charles smiled and leaned in close to where Logan was struggling to get to his feet. Ah. Here you are, Logan.

Logan jerked his head toward Charles, distrust written on his face. Do I know you, bub?

Charles sighed, his patience was waning. You do indeed, Logan. But I really must insist we hurry this up. My apologies. Again, he added as an afterthought and he grabbed at Logan’s wrist through the bottom of the chain link fence.

At once, the sounds and movement of the people in the bar ceased. Images rushed past Charles' mind, making him cringe with the intensity of Logan's feelings. Scenes of a much younger Rogue in a place very much like this calling out a warning as a man pulled a knife on Logan. Logan sitting with Rogue on a train, her head against his shoulder, whispering, “I promise.” Logan cradling a lifeless Rogue’s head in his hands at the top of the Statue of Liberty, begging her not to be dead. A now slightly older Rogue, beaming with happiness as she bounded out to meet Logan in the school’s entryway. His answering smile and feeling of relief at seeing her well and unharmed, followed by a quick stab of violent jealousy as Bobby grasped her hand and led her away. A bolt of lust as Rogue pulled Logan's dog tags from around her neck and pressed them back into his hand. Logan, watching Rogue from a distance as she returned from college for spring break, peace filling him as he watched her with her friends, telling himself he was content to see her happy. Telling himself he didn't need anything more from her. Logan and Rogue, in combat leather, fighting through a training scenario in the Danger Room, Logan rolling Rogue beneath him out of the way of simulated shrapnel, nostrils flaring as he breathed in her scent. Rogue punching and kicking a free-standing bag in the gym, sweating, anger filling her eyes. Then, Rogue straddling Logan, her breasts bouncing as she moved her hips in an ancient rhythm while Logan muttered, "Mine. My Marie."

Charles quickly moved past the intimate scenes in Logan's mind. He had no wish to intrude on such private matters. But he needed Logan to face what had happened to Rogue in the lab. So he kept pushing until - there.

Rogue was strapped to a table in between Wolverine and Sabertooth, hips rolling, moaning with longing. Through Logan, Charles could sense the eagerness of Wolverine to mate with the scrumptious, ripe creature who was writhing in front of him, putting off the most delicious scent. But she did not reach for him. She extended her hand toward Sabertooth and Logan felt his insides ripping apart with the pain of seeing her choose another after being with him, after swearing she was his, and his alone -

Goddammit! Logan had broken the physical hold and abruptly pushed Charles out of his head. With the breaking of his mental hold, the smoky bar surrounding them had disappeared, leaving the two of them in a rather cozy cabin with a crackling fire burning in the fireplace. Logan locked eyes with Charles, fury and misery pouring off him. What the fuck are you doing here, Chuck?

I'm here to get you, Logan. This self-inflicted punishment has to end. Come back to us. Back to Rogue. She needs you.

Logan turned his head away to stare into the fire. I failed her. I fucking failed her!

You did no such thing, Charles said quietly. You could not have done anything to prevent this. If anything, you should blame me for sending you to the lab in the first place.

Logan sniffed loudly. Don't be stupid. You had nothing to do with it.

And neither did you. The blame for what was done to you, to Rogue, belongs to one person, and one person alone.

Logan snarled as he said the words, William Stryker.

Indeed. Sensing Logan's willingness for him to continue, Charles pressed on. Rogue is still being controlled, Logan. We were unable to rescue you both before Magneto interceded. She's still out there.

His jaw clenched, Logan ran one hand through his hair before clenching both fists at his sides and releasing his claws with a metal snick.

She needs you. And you need her, Charles finished softly.

Logan's fierce eyes met his once more as he nodded.

At once, the fire, the cabin, the woods and snow, all fell away and Charles blinked rapidly as he found himself back in his chair, staring at a bewildered looking Logan.

Logan raised one eyebrow as he took in his naked self then turned to face Charles who was staring at him through the isolation chamber wall.

"Chuck. I don't know what the fuck I'm doin' in the isolation chamber, but somebody had better let me the fuck out of here before I lose my temper," he snarled, claws releasing with a metallic hiss.

"Ah, Logan. So nice to have you back. I'll have you out of there momentarily. Perhaps you'd care to dress yourself first? No?" Charles said, as he took in the exasperated look on Logan's face. "Very well."

Charles sent a telepathic message to Hank requesting the door to the chamber be unlocked and after a moment, a series of beeps echoed through the room followed by a hiss as the door opened. Logan stalked forward toward Charles, worry shadowing his eyes.

"Where is she? Where's Rogue?"

Charles sighed and braced himself to face Logan's anger when he answered. "Well, that's just the thing. I'm afraid I don't know."

To his surprise, Logan did not explode. He merely nodded and started toward the exit. "Well, we'd better get to work then."

"Logan?" Charles said as Logan's hand went to open the door to the lab. "Clothes."

"Oh," Logan looked down at his body, then back to Chuck. "Right." He turned back and quickly grabbed the clothes that were folded neatly on the bed in the chamber. Donning the familiar jeans, white undershirt, red flannel and belt buckle, he turned his thoughts to just how he was going to get his Marie back. Because there wasn't a goddamn thing on the planet that could keep him from her now.

"Don't worry, Darlin'. I'm comin' for ya."
Chapter End Notes:
Should be some nice action in the coming chapter. Thanks for reading and for your reviews!